The World Cup is here. What is your contingency plans?

Someone in a World Cup community I'm in, made a list of all the mistakes/goofs that U.S. commentators have made so far. I caught the Michael Beckham one yesterday while watching that game. Oy, you think they could at least get his name right!!

10: The capital of Portugal is "Lesbiana."

9: "Well Suzie, we got to see David actually 'Bend It Like Beckham' today, scoring a wonderful goal from the right side of the grass."

(I'm one of the biggest Becks fans on here and even I admit he had help on that one... and it was from the left... of the pitch.)

8: "Michael Beckham," "David Becket" and "Victoria Posh."

7: "A lot of these Mexican players play down south."

6: "Marquez plays with Ronaldinho in Italy."

5: "Beckham, the captain, as may not know, was captain of Manchester United who plays soccer in France now."

4: "How does Beckham bend it like that ? Well, you know, Suzie, they're using a specially designed ball for this tournament." (Kind of makes you wonder how he was bending it before.)

3: Female: "Prostitution is legal in Germany..." Male: "Oh my, really ?"

2: "Tim Howard was having a great year until van der Saar showed up."

1: "America's chances ? Well you know we are ranked number 5 in the world."

I've read that rankings is actually rather important because of the seedings. USA could have been in an even worse group if they didn't get the ranking points playing minnows like Panama.

I am waiting for my (organic, freshly prepared) takeaway right now and looking forward to see the Italians, drool. I've seen some of them in the newspaper preview this morning but NO!!! their shirts are not so tight this year!!! But I suppose there is some respite in seeing their legs...

Lol, this is very adulterous because I'm supposed to be thinking about looking at other men's derriere:roflmfao: .

GerGirl said:
Yay :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:
Sorry, I have to celebrate :shame:
Germany vs. Poland -> 1:0

OMG the goal by Neuville with like 2 mins to go was insane!!! I do have to admit that Germany has a great team, but I'm still bitter that they shut out the US in the quarterfinals last World Cup LOL.

The Polish goalie was AMAZING though - some of those saves were nothing short of incredible. Makes me feel really sorry for Poland.. they were SOOO close to ending the game in a tie!

sparkles48 said:
OMG the goal by Neuville with like 2 mins to go was insane!!! I do have to admit that Germany has a great team, but I'm still bitter that they shut out the US in the quarterfinals last World Cup LOL.

The Polish goalie was AMAZING though - some of those saves were nothing short of incredible. Makes me feel really sorry for Poland.. they were SOOO close to ending the game in a tie!
I really didn't expected that goal. We had so many chances, but nothing happened :Push: and I did not thought, that the German players would fight until the end. It was amazing :love:
I'm in football fever right now :lol:

I'm watching, if I'm up. It will be better if I can find the World Cup games on a non-Spanish channel. ESPN is supposed to carry all the games, but I never see one on. Jeff will watch on the Spanish channels, even though he does not understand what they are saying. He knows enough about the game to follow what's going on, though. Of course, my Diamondbacks are in 1st place in the NL, so I will be watching a lot of baseball (my true passion).
Kate

LOL I'm totally with Gergirl on the whole football fever thing! I was totally on the edge of my seat during that one *almost* goal by Germany where someone headed it and it bounced off the post and then Ballack kicked it and it STILL missed, and then Odonkor (?) kicked it in and it didn't count bc it was an OFFSIDE!!! That had to be the most missed opportunity for a goal ever.

I'm so anxious about Sat when the US plays Italy!! I'm keeping my fingers crossed :o)

kmccrea said:
I'm watching, if I'm up. It will be better if I can find the World Cup games on a non-Spanish channel. ESPN is supposed to carry all the games, but I never see one on. Jeff will watch on the Spanish channels, even though he does not understand what they are saying. He knows enough about the game to follow what's going on, though. Of course, my Diamondbacks are in 1st place in the NL, so I will be watching a lot of baseball (my true passion).
Kate

Between ESPN, ESPN2 and ABC all the games are supposed to be shown. www.soccernet.com should give you the channel each game is playing on.

sparkles48 said:
I'm so anxious about Sat when the US plays Italy!! I'm keeping my fingers crossed :o)
That's going to be tough! The US are in a really difficult group, aren't they? I wouldn't bet my money on the US :shame: as there's Italy and the Czech Republic...

It's 1:30 A.M. in Germany right now and still so loud... they all celebrate :rolleyes::amuse:

^^ LOL I know it's a long shot (I cringed when I first saw the group the US was in - ack!) But no matter what I'm still rooting for my boys! :biggrin:

And gosh I'm so jealous of the celebrations in Germany! Not too many people are huge soccer fans in the US.. if we ever win the World Cup people would probably be like "huh.. we have a soccer team?.. ooh the Heat is playing on TV!" :rolleyes:

Haha! I'm still rooting for the US although their performance on Tuesday was anything but stellar. They had what...64% possession but it was all passing back and forth in their half of the field. Once they pass the into Czech territory, the ball is GONE! Sorry, I don't know football terminology. :shame:

And I had NO idea we had soccer teams. Supposedly there's some team called the Wizards in some state and maybe 3 other state teams. What?