The woes of aging eyesight and at-home manicures

PortlandKelly

Mar 30, 2011
I have noticed that my up-close eyesight has been going down-hill pretty fast over the last 12 months. I recently turned 40 so I guess I shouldn't be too surprised. It started with no longer being able to read the back of medicine bottles and now I am really struggling with manicures/pedicures. Anyone else in the same boat as me??? Waaaaah! :crybaby:

I bought some reading glasses from the drugstore which helps with the mani/pedis, but I need something even stronger. What do you ladies do? Should I invest in one of these magnifying lamps?

Carson.jpg

(image Carson deskbrite)

I'm so sorry about your eyesight :sad:
IMO 40 isn't that old. I know my parents were at least 10 years older than you when they started having such troubles. A friend of mine started having similar issues at 16. It might not have to do much with age...
I obviously can't look into your financial situation, but maybe you need glasses or contacts?

If your only 40 and your eyes are ok for other things, I'm thinking you just need stronger "reader" glasses. They come in various strengths. 1.0 (least magnifying) all the way up to 4.0 (most magnifying).

For nails try 3.0, for toes you need to go with less magnification since you can't get your toes as close to your eyes.

I bet you can find something that works. Look for glass lenses too, I find they are better than plastic.

I recently had my eyes checked out and they are 20/20 except for the close-up reading/detailed stuff. UGH!!! :P

I'm SO there with you! I have to wear reading glasses to do my manicures now (among other things... ugh!). :shucks:

If your only 40 and your eyes are ok for other things, I'm thinking you just need stronger "reader" glasses.

Yep, that's aging changes to your eyes. :P

I do the same - wear reading glasses. It works great for me.

Be sure to set yourself up is a well-lit area, perhaps brighter than you've been using. The aging process can also affect pupilary responsiveness to light, which can be a factor esp when we bend over for pedi's. Please let us know what ends up working best for you! Ain't none of us gettin younger :P

I've worn glasses since I was a kid, but I've found using crafter's lamps is an eye saver when doing detailed work like beading or painting my nails. They're not expensive (about $20 at Joann's or Michaels). That magnifyer isn't a bad idea either, whatever works!

I have noticed that my up-close eyesight has been going down-hill pretty fast over the last 12 months. I recently turned 40 so I guess I shouldn't be too surprised. It started with no longer being able to read the back of medicine bottles and now I am really struggling with manicures/pedicures. Anyone else in the same boat as me??? Waaaaah! :crybaby:

I bought some reading glasses from the drugstore which helps with the mani/pedis, but I need something even stronger. What do you ladies do? Should I invest in one of these magnifying lamps?

Carson.jpg

(image Carson deskbrite)

I'm in the same boat. I just use my reading glasses, but they aren't the greatest when it comes to manicuring.

Thanks for all the responses!! I looked at my "reader" glasses and they were the low 1.5 level. Sounds like I should try out the stronger 3-4 level glasses and pull out a better lamp!! Plan B will to get one of those magnifying lamps. ;)

I wear glasses full time, but when I do close up details I have to take my glasses off and go without them. I'm nearsighted and obviously the close up details they aren't good for!