The woes of aging eyesight and at-home manicures

I wear glasses full time, but when I do close up details I have to take my glasses off and go without them. I'm nearsighted and obviously the close up details they aren't good for!

I've always imagined you looking like your bunny avatar, glasses & all. Except there's polish on your paws. :P I also imagine FLmermaid looking like Ariel the Disney character & FerretKingdom is a unicorn with very blingy hoofs.

...Why yes, I have inhaled a lot Pre-B3F polish!

:back2topic:

Be sure to set yourself up is a well-lit area, perhaps brighter than you've been using. The aging process can also affect pupilary responsiveness to light, which can be a factor esp when we bend over for pedi's. Please let us know what ends up working best for you! Ain't none of us gettin younger :P

Also a good point. I bought a very inexpensive LED desk lamp at IKEA for $9.99 that helps a lot: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10128734/

It's great because it's very flexible and the light is really focused.

OMG, you're all just babies!! Wait 'til you're my age!

The most important thing is light, lots and lots of light. Try working near a bright window. Even dim/overcast days are much brighter than any light you have. As for artificial light, you might find that LED lights give a crisper, cleaner light than incandescent or halogen. Sometimes LED can be rather harsh though. Have light from different sources - have a bright ambient light, like an overhead or pendant. Then add in a table or floor lamp and then a task light.

Also, take your time and look at your work from many different angles, especially "down the barrel." You'll see so much more and catch a lot of mistakes doing that.

I found these readers at the drugstore that had built-in led lights. Turns out the lights aren't really strong enough for detailed manis, but it was worth a shot. One of my Boston's humored me by being my nail tech. :lolots:

nail_tech.jpg

I should probably add that what *has* worked for me is a craft light and much stronger reader glasses!