The winner of the NYT handbag challenge

sonya

Feb 23, 2006
On The Street
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/10/fashion/10street.html

The Trophy

By BILL CUNNINGHAM

Published: December 10, 2006
And the winner of the handbag classic is: Goyard by a mile! Picking up speed in the last month, lightweight bags by the 153-year-old French luggage maker outran the heavy, overembellished prestige bags to become the most popular bag carried by women on luxury mile, Madison Avenue and 57th Street. Of lacquered linen and cotton, the bags don’t shout status and there are no waiting lists at Goyard boutiques at Bergdorf Goodman and Barneys. A Goyard tote bag starts at about $855 (extra for ribbons and monograms).

10street.l.jpg
spacer.gif
spacer.gif

I used to see Goyards a lot ... well not a lot a lot, but enough.... This was like 2004 when all the editors were carrying them.... But Bill Cunningham is always out there so he probably knows what he's talking about....

I live on the Upper East Side and see quite a lot of Goyard in the last year. I was checking out the collection at BG last week. Love the dog collars and leashes, but a bit too crazy in price. My dog will keep her Petco collar!!! I like the bags, but for now I'm more interested in LV and Chanel.

call me cheap, but i'm not shelling out $800+ for lacquered linen and cotton. for that price, i expect top quality leather - most likely with hardware.

am i the only one? someone back me up here... :shrugs:

call me cheap, but i'm not shelling out $800+ for lacquered linen and cotton. for that price, i expect top quality leather - most likely with hardware.

am i the only one? someone back me up here... :shrugs:

i feel the *exact* same way.....that's why i can't bring myself to buy LV either. epi someday, maybe, but potentially topping 4 figures for a canvas bag is just one of those personal mental barriers for me: no can do. but i know many, many people adore them, so to each their own....