The Well Behaved Bag

Fimpagebag

O.G.
Jul 27, 2013
Having recently purged my handbag collection of extraneous bags, I now can honestly say I only own what I consider well behaved bags. Bags I don't have to baby, that effortlessly transition from day to night, and comfortably ride shotgun on the passenger seat of my battered van. They don't topple over when I set them down, accommodate everything I deem necessary, and stow easily in a file cabinet when I'm at work. Now that I'm no longer on high alert every time I use one of my bags, I find I enjoy them more. And, as is so often the case, enjoying them more allows me to use them more. No longer do they languish in their dust bags waiting for that mythical special occasion hosted in a hermetically sealed bubble. So now the question. What do you consider a well behaved bag?

:biggrin:

Great thread! :tup:
My standard for a well behaved bag is pretty similar; something that stays on my shoulder and won't slip off, sits comfy and opens easily. I can carry it in the rain and shine, the leather won't mind a little bit of rough handling and also the bag should be able to stretch to accommodate my shopping etc. without getting troublesome to carry.

I find that with my ADD I'm very impatient -> demanding especially on bags (since I carry them all the time) and if f.e. the leather is really sensitive, if the bag is hard to keep organised or the closure is tough to manage fast&easy, I just won't use the bag since I find it really annoying and stressful. Bags behavind badly... :biggrin:

Love the title of this thread. My everyday bag is a nylon longchamp bag. It is very well behaved. I still love my prima donnas but only carry them when I go out for dinner or light shopping.

Great thread! :tup:
My standard for a well behaved bag is pretty similar; something that stays on my shoulder and won't slip off, sits comfy and opens easily. I can carry it in the rain and shine, the leather won't mind a little bit of rough handling and also the bag should be able to stretch to accommodate my shopping etc. without getting troublesome to carry.

I find that with my ADD I'm very impatient -> demanding especially on bags (since I carry them all the time) and if f.e. the leather is really sensitive, if the bag is hard to keep organised or the closure is tough to manage fast&easy, I just won't use the bag since I find it really annoying and stressful. Bags behavind badly... :biggrin:

ITA ! Great points, Amazona. :tup: A well behaved bag should stay on your shoulder and open without having to set it down.

Love the title of this thread. My everyday bag is a nylon longchamp bag. It is very well behaved. I still love my prima donnas but only carry them when I go out for dinner or light shopping.

Sounds good, Florasun. Even the most well behaved bag enjoys a day off from time to time.
Good post!

:tup:

I like structured bags that stand up and don't puddle. I like satchels.

PicMonkeyCollage_zps29a39fba.jpg

I love this thread!!!

I haven't ever babied my bags. It's useless. Invariably something falls, spills, drips etc and it's just not worth it to me. I have to be able to throw them on the seat next to me in the car or on the floor of the car or on my desk at school and hope that my students don't get glue on them!!

Having recently purged my handbag collection of extraneous bags, I now can honestly say I only own what I consider well behaved bags. Bags I don't have to baby, that effortlessly transition from day to night, and comfortably ride shotgun on the passenger seat of my battered van. They don't topple over when I set them down, accommodate everything I deem necessary, and stow easily in a file cabinet when I'm at work. Now that I'm no longer on high alert every time I use one of my bags, I find I enjoy them more. And, as is so often the case, enjoying them more allows me to use them more. No longer do they languish in their dust bags waiting for that mythical special occasion hosted in a hermetically sealed bubble. So now the question. What do you consider a well behaved bag?

:biggrin:

I love this thread!!!

I haven't ever babied my bags. It's useless. Invariably something falls, spills, drips etc and it's just not worth it to me. I have to be able to throw them on the seat next to me in the car or on the floor of the car or on my desk at school and hope that my students don't get glue on them!!

:lolots:

Love your post!

Because so often a thread is considered :useless:
Here's one of my well behaved bags. It's my St. John's Bay black leather shoulder bag. It takes a lot of abuse but turns it into patina. It's one of my favorite workhorses.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 672
I had sold a bag I otherwise liked for that reason specifically - it was so high-maintenance! Any sort of scuff or mishandling immediately became evident.

I've gravitated towards pebbled leather recently, as it tends to take abuse better than smooth leather. (Since I have a toddler, I need something I don't have to baby.) I have a Kate Spade Cobble Hill Leslie and an MBMJ Fran in pebbled leather that have held up so well despite daily use for over a year. I don't go for structured bags, as I feel that the inevitable sag makes the wear all the more obvious. I am actually looking into getting an LV Damier Ebene, but am worried the coated canvas will show more wear than my pebbled leather. (Then again, LV is a luxury brand while the two I've recently purchased are mid-tier...)

Such a long-winded reply! :yucky: Basically my well-behaved bags are those that are pebbled leather and non-structured - they hide the wear better, IMO.

This is my well-behaved bag, Fendi Chameleon in Maroon color. I don't baby it at all. I even spilled a cup of black coffee on it and it still looks as good as the day I got it. We have been under heavy rain as well. The bag doesn't puddle even when it's empty and the small size fits everything :smile:.

Fendi Chameleon Sweden.jpg

I had sold a bag I otherwise liked for that reason specifically - it was so high-maintenance! Any sort of scuff or mishandling immediately became evident.

I've gravitated towards pebbled leather recently, as it tends to take abuse better than smooth leather. (Since I have a toddler, I need something I don't have to baby.) I have a Kate Spade Cobble Hill Leslie and an MBMJ Fran in pebbled leather that have held up so well despite daily use for over a year. I don't go for structured bags, as I feel that the inevitable sag makes the wear all the more obvious. I am actually looking into getting an LV Damier Ebene, but am worried the coated canvas will show more wear than my pebbled leather. (Then again, LV is a luxury brand while the two I've recently purchased are mid-tier...)

Such a long-winded reply! :yucky: Basically my well-behaved bags are those that are pebbled leather and non-structured - they hide the wear better, IMO.

:tup: I own several pebbled leather bags. Love the texture and appreciate their durability. My non structured bags are equally resilient.

This is my well-behaved bag, Fendi Chameleon in Maroon color. I don't baby it at all. I even spilled a cup of black coffee on it and it still looks as good as the day I got it. We have been under heavy rain as well. The bag doesn't puddle even when it's empty and the small size fits everything :smile:.

View attachment 2714241

That is one seriously beautiful bag. And you're right, dangerouscurves. It still looks brand new. Thanks for sharing.

:happydance: