The Truth About Designer Goods

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyway, nothing really wrong with a markup. 1. These are luxury items, no one needs them, 2. more importantly, it's not like a single person such as myself or yourself can realize the much lower costs like a company can (it may cost them $100 to make x but it would cost us way more than $100 to make the same x).

A $10 bag probably cost $.10 to make, hence also marked up by the same amount. :yes: They just used child labor.

:smile:Yes, and the craftsmanship of the designer goods is better.

I love designer things as much as the next gal but hearing all of you talk about the quality of this and the craftsmanship of that is making me think you've had a bit too much of the koolaid.

Fact: if you read a quarterly report for Gucci (which is a public company) it is clearly stated that all products are marked up 90%. That means that our $1000 bags cost about $100 to make, (probably less because of the volume of accessories produced.)

Before you go bashing me and telling me that im bitter that i don't own designer "anything" let me tell you you're wrong. I buy the stuff because it looks great and makes me feel good. Buttons fall off my Tom Ford shirts just as much as much as another brand. The difference is the way it makes me feel, which to me --is worth the money.

Just be truthful to yourself. It's the way these items make you feel and not the craftsmanship that keep you shopping. You can drink the koolaid but just admit that you're drunk.

(Don't bother calling me dumb because if im reading financial reports, chances are im not.)

I joined this forum to discuss our shallow and materialistic obsessions with luxury goods. I know there is a huge markup on everything. I worked in the jewellery business, I know what the costs are in precious metals, gems, etc... I'm also very sure there are many intelligent people in this forum who can decide for themselves whether or not to purchase things whether or not there are immoral and unethical practices in making these items.

Denial, I have followed one of your other threads and I had chose not to comment on them because I found that many of the members here have already given you a hard time about it . And I also believe that everyone is entitled to their own opinion. But somehow, I found that in this thread, you are deliberately trying to stir up the other members. I do not doubt your intelligence, nor anybody elses for that matter, but there is no need to say that we are drunk on koolaid before you give us tpfers a chance to comment.

truth to me is...
you buy designer bags because their designer labelled.
be it "screaming logos" or discreetly labelled...you pay premium for these designers because you are willing to pay!

btw, IMO craftsmanship for the Evelyne is poor esp. when you compare that bag to the bolide, birkin, plume, kelly, whitebus etc... but again price reflects that...so mark up or not... It ultimately doesn't matter.

I don't think ladies on this forum are implying that paying $5000 for any bag for its CRAFTSMANSHIP is worth it but we do it because we love it (the bag, the style, the designer...)

And is there anything out there in the market whivh mark-up is not ridiculous? I've love to know about them! Obivously we know that a canvas or fabric is always going to be a canvas or fabric...its not made of gold or some precious rare stones; but if it satisfies the us, we buy it anyway!

Spending that 1000 on a fabric bag is what makes us "shallow obsessing" ladies happy in life. :smile:

Honestly I have not seen the point yet, i.e. I'm not sure what conclusion the original post is trying to lead to. The huge markup on brand products (or even most of the products) is inappropriate? The quality of the brand products is not worth the money? Or everybody better admit that buying brand products is for our own vanity instead of the consideration of quality, otherwise we will just be untruthful to ourselves? ......Here I humbly request some clarification on what this discussion is about. :confused1:

These are luxury items, no one needs them

this is the most simple and effective point in my head. overall, we are paying for the luxury. i think most of us know these bags are marked up tremendously.. it's all part of it. 'Shallow Obsessing' is key here. I'll be the first one to admit it. Of course designer bags will be 'better quality' but realistically.. we all know that NO bag, just based on quality alone, is truly worth some of these prices. For 20K we could have our own crocodile farm! (..and wouldn't that be kind of neato?)

this is the most simple and effective point in my head. overall, we are paying for the luxury. i think most of us know these bags are marked up tremendously.. it's all part of it. 'Shallow Obsessing' is key here. I'll be the first one to admit it. Of course designer bags will be 'better quality' but realistically.. we all know that NO bag, just based on quality alone, is truly worth some of these prices. For 20K we could have our own crocodile farm! (..and wouldn't that be kind of neato?)

OMG, I would LOVE my own crocodile farm! But I think it would be cruel to have my farm up here in Canada, they would die a horrible death because of the nasty winters. :sad:

I love designer stuff....it makes me feel good, too, although designer stuff doesn't always have to mean highest quality. I like to have things that others do not have...everybody wears H&M and other cheaper brands. They are nice and of course I wear it, too. But soemtimes I want to have special things, which are more unique and not available for everyone...

I joined this forum to discuss our shallow and materialistic obsessions with luxury goods. I know there is a huge markup on everything. I worked in the jewellery business, I know what the costs are in precious metals, gems, etc... I'm also very sure there are many intelligent people in this forum who can decide for themselves whether or not to purchase things whether or not there are immoral and unethical practices in making these items.

Denial, I have followed one of your other threads and I had chose not to comment on them because I found that many of the members here have already given you a hard time about it . And I also believe that everyone is entitled to their own opinion. But somehow, I found that in this thread, you are deliberately trying to stir up the other members. I do not doubt your intelligence, nor anybody elses for that matter, but there is no need to say that we are drunk on koolaid before you give us tpfers a chance to comment.

ITA, excellent points, caliprincess.

^ yup, I'm with caliprincess on this one as well.

Denial, i am trying to stay detached but it seems that in your short time here on tPF you have earned yourself a reputation. You could have easily ran the same thread about questions about quality, workmanship and pricings without the offensive comments. I normally love reading everything on tPF as normally everyone is so nice and suportive. However, your threads have left a sour taste.
. At first I felt sorry that you were getting so many hassles from your other thread, but now in the manner you have posted this, what am i supposed to assume other than that it is what you want>?
Sorry, I just had to say something. I really don't like the *****iness that is arising in these threads:crybaby:

Lovely statements caliprincess. ITA! :rolleyes: Putting down people's opinions before they've been given a chance to defend them is bad taste in any forum, not just luxury goods.

Status
Not open for further replies.