The Trials and Tribulations of Being a Lacquerhead

I get looks of disdain from my family whenever I receive a package in the mail. They know it's nail polish! But I keep my stash hidden underneath my bed in large tupperware containers, so nobody really knows how large my collection is. Once my mom asked "Do you have a light purple color I can use?" I came out with about 10 different shades of light purple. She looked overwhelmed.

My office doesn't really care about polish and is lax on dress code, so I'm lucky there. However, my boss thinks glitter polish is juvenile and always says "That is soooo 8th grade!" whenever I wear one. Sometimes I want to punch him in the face.

I paint my moms nails often for her( she has acrylic over her nails) and she will ask me questions like " do you have a bright but light color ? " or " I want something that is sheer but has some color and maybe you can do something specials on the tips maybe something dark but not too dark "
She rarely describes a shade - like red or purple or pink , it's normally a extremely vague question - it drives me insane :upsidedown::Pullhair:

I paint my moms nails often for her( she has acrylic over her nails) and she will ask me questions like " do you have a bright but light color ? " or " I want something that is sheer but has some color and maybe you can do something specials on the tips maybe something dark but not too dark "
She rarely describes a shade - like red or purple or pink , it's normally a extremely vague question - it drives me insane :upsidedown::Pullhair:

My mom does the very same thing! She had several hip surgeries, and I was giving her pedis because all she could do was sit around and look at her toes. She would say, "I want a pretty, berry color. Kind of bright and dark. And I want a white flower on it." So I do that, I bring like 12 dark berry colors over, and she swatches them all. She likes it. Then a week later she calls. "Can you give me a new pedicure? I want something different. This time I want a red, berry color. And I would like a flower on it." So I bring the SAME 12 colors, she swatches them all again, and picks the SAME one as last time, insisting it is not! :roflmfao:

Plus, she insists I cut her toenails short. I keep telling her that they look better and work better for polish when they are a little longer. She says she knows, but cut them anyway...and then I pretty much I have to stab the brush at her little toes to get them all cause they are so small! :roflmfao:

I love this thread! Everyone at work thinks I'm obsessed and I have no one to share the goodness that IS indie nail polish. I comment on Facebook pages like "Overall Beauty", "Smitten Polish", etc. and it shows up on people's News Feed. When they see me they are like "hey you comment on all those polish pages. You're obsessed!" I wanna be like, "dont be jelly!"

If someone at work asks me what I'm wearing, I don't even go into it. I just say "I got it online." Too complicated. My husband thinks all my polishes that come in the mail are "backordered" and that I paid for them a long time ago and just got them. I tell him its cheaper than a shoe addiction....kinda. :giggles:

Usually I will wear a color on one finger to see if I want to go through with painting both hands or just do an accent nail. That usually gets attention, "why is only one nail painted?" My reply is, "I have to test it before I commit to it." :thinking:

I was dumb enough to tell people about my polish addiction. I even showed them the shelves I built for them. Now they all think I'm nuts for having so many.

My family also hates when I get packages in the mail. 9 times out of 10 it's polish, so they've stopped even caring. I used to get home and the contents of my packages would be strewn across the kitchen table, now most times they've left the package in the mailbox for me. I would think with the shelves I built, they could see I don't have all the colors. I need to keep getting more until I have one of each shade, lol. At least that's my logic :smile:

This thread is too funny! I can relate to every single one. My close friends understand my obsession, in fact the first thing they say when they see me is "let's see your nails!" Although they are not as obsessed (and to think, one of them has a mum who owns a nail salon! Her house is like OPI palace!), it's nice that they are at least somewhat interested.

Oie...my parents don't approve of my addiction and think I'll get sick from acetone fumes T__T; But that's about it...I have two friends who share my addiction AND I can wear anything I want to work!

I work for me so at work it is never an issue what I wear. I did give a girlfriend a Dollish this summer that got a laugh called "Dining at the pink Taco" and explained it was hand made. She kinda was like what??? Thought it was funny though. Showed her some of my polish PRIOR to Melmer and she balked. How can someone always want to wear the same OPI Not Really a Waitress on their toes all the time and a french on their fingers.... BORING! She calls it classy, I still say boring!

Good news though I got my 2nd Melmer and have a little room. I painted them black so they match more the house decor so the man doesn't complain. Matter of a fact I FINALLY put together a spreadsheet and he stayed out in the garage for most of it. When he did come in seeing mass polish and it was only 1 single drawer he didn't bat an eye and even came and sat by me(not to look over my shoulder either!!!) for a bit.

I have to say though I didn't think I had as many polishes as I actually do have. I thought it was closer to 400 and it turns out it is more like 500 with the booby prize for the brand I have the most of going to Lynnderella at 29 bottles(and I have swapped or sold away about 10-15 bottles I didn't end up liking)

LOL, funny story. The other night the man commented Purple(I have RBL Scrangie on but need to change because it has been little over a week and is chipped and tip worn but not horribly) because I will show him when I put on my pretties. Asked him to pick my next mani and he said make it look like our kittens(the 3 bengals on the left), immediately told him I don't have the nail pens to make the cheetah print and then realized I had just gotten stick on nail polish strips that were cheetah print. Showed him and his eyes got BIG, said you really do have everything... My only reply was "Not Nearly". At least he doesn't give me a hard time about it

Haha, I've been wanting to do that gradient mani for a while- not the kind where you sponge on your fingers, but the one where you make each nail a colour darker then the last, is that a gradient mani?

My boyfriend saw my hand and said "you have 5 bottles of the same colour?" To which I lied and said that I just added black and white to the same polish...

He believed me! :P

Yesterday I went to ULTA to exchange BL Aston for another color. I brought up Shag to the register and the cashier goes "You're exchanging one nail polish color for another that's exactly the same..?" and gave me a weird look. Uh...is it just me, or are those 2 colors like completely different and does anyone else think this lady shouldn't be working at Ulta? Hahaha =)

Yesterday I went to ULTA to exchange BL Aston for another color. I brought up Shag to the register and the cashier goes "You're exchanging one nail polish color for another that's exactly the same..?" and gave me a weird look. Uh...is it just me, or are those 2 colors like completely different and does anyone else think this lady shouldn't be working at Ulta? Hahaha =)

Umm... she must be blind. They are nothing alike.

Haha, I've been wanting to do that gradient mani for a while- not the kind where you sponge on your fingers, but the one where you make each nail a colour darker then the last, is that a gradient mani?

My boyfriend saw my hand and said "you have 5 bottles of the same colour?" To which I lied and said that I just added black and white to the same polish...

He believed me! :P
heehee! :roflmfao:

Umm... she must be blind. They are nothing alike.
This!

My mom does the very same thing! She had several hip surgeries, and I was giving her pedis because all she could do was sit around and look at her toes. She would say, "I want a pretty, berry color. Kind of bright and dark. And I want a white flower on it." So I do that, I bring like 12 dark berry colors over, and she swatches them all. She likes it. Then a week later she calls. "Can you give me a new pedicure? I want something different. This time I want a red, berry color. And I would like a flower on it." So I bring the SAME 12 colors, she swatches them all again, and picks the SAME one as last time, insisting it is not! :roflmfao:

Plus, she insists I cut her toenails short. I keep telling her that they look better and work better for polish when they are a little longer. She says she knows, but cut them anyway...and then I pretty much I have to stab the brush at her little toes to get them all cause they are so small! :roflmfao:

Love it....:smile: