The tPF Animalicious Rescue/Adoption Hotline

The kitties' mom just moved them inside a drinking fountain in our yard. It is exposed to the sun. While she was moving them, she got spooked and just abandoned one of the kittens on the patio. I put it back in the original nest and later she came back and moved it.

The Momcat will move the kittens to a new nest when she is ready to start teaching them to hunt and fend for themselves. Your kittens may be at least 4 weeks up to 8 weeks if she has moved them from the place they were born to the new place. Have you been able to get any information on TNR yet?

The Momcat will move the kittens to a new nest when she is ready to start teaching them to hunt and fend for themselves. Your kittens may be at least 4 weeks up to 8 weeks if she has moved them from the place they were born to the new place. Have you been able to get any information on TNR yet?
The place she has moved them to seems like a really bad choice. It's a deep cylinder. There is no way they would be able to climb or jump out of there. There isn't enough room inside for her to get in without trampling them and I can't see how there is enough room to nurse them. I'm so worried about them!

Tomorrow I'm going to make some calls. Hopefully someone local will be able to tell me what to do.

I've been advised to leave them alone for the time being. They don't like you to feed feral cats. When the kittens are ready to leave their mother, they can be socialized. If they don't get socialized before 4 months of age, they can't be domesticated.

I didn't want to start a new thread so I hope it is okay that I post this here. Our backyard has become a gathering place for cats. It is hard to tell which are someone's pets and which ones are feral. We live in a town where people don't have a problem with setting cats free when they no longer want them. There are volunteers who will trap cats and take them to the SPCA to be neutered or spayed and then release them.

We just discovered a nest of kittens in one of our flower beds. I don't know how to tell how old they are. I'm guessing about 4 weeks. The mom comes and goes. I'd like to be able to rescue them when they are weaned but I don't know how to know when that is. I'm worried that if I wait too long, they will leave and be feral.

I found a pregnant super tiny black cat in my waste bin. She never saw the inside of a house and was terrible terrified by human beeings, so she was totally shy and had flees and other terrible things on and in her. I REALLY do not want to know what happened to her. So no way to let her check, basic medication were prescipted by descriptions via telefonem applying was pure horror. I called her Zenzi of nine as a tribute to seven of nine. Long story short:

I sort of adpoted her as far as it was possible, and finally managed to persuade her to come into our house. She chose the cellar and lived there until the kittens came. (I felt terrible about that, but she was comfortable with it). As she had the opprtunitiy to come and leave the house whenever she wanted (we built an exit for her), she left her kittens alone beginning from the first day of their life, beginning with very short periods, then extending them. Having no experience with kittens, I was terrified. The vet told me, that this would be ok as long as the cat returns within hours (! not minutes! - depends on the age of the kittens, but with 4 weeks, Zenzi was away for 2 hours, then fed the kittens and went again) and that cats do that, but that I should be aware, that cats tend to carry their kitten into another nest after a few weeks (she mentioned 4 weeks- this seems to be the age of your kittens.). In the early stage they search for a place where the kittens can't be eaten by other animals, dark, tiny, like a hole (here you have your zylinder).

She told me, that it would be extremely important to domesticate the kittens, otherwise they wouldn't have any chance to bond to human beeings. I have her voice in my ear since then " please , I really BEG you, do not allow Zenzi to carry the kittens away!"- hahaa. Funny advice with a cat that tried to climb the wall up (SIC!) after seeing a house from the inside the first time in her life, totally disturbed by everything.
The vet also told me, that the cat searches another SAFE place for the second moving if she thinks, place one is unsecure. So I waited and hoped. Zenzi moved into the first floor and went on leaving the house whenever she wanted to. Nice time in my life, as I was Mrs. "open the cellar-door, close the cellar-door, open the cellar-door" for her to leave the house as until she died she never understood the principle of a frontdoor, so I have a good impression how often she left and how long she was away sometimes.

So: it is total normal behaviour to leave the nest for cats. They will return. Do not, I repeat NOT touch the kittens until they leave the nest by themselves for short walks and lookarounds(around 6 - 8 weeks). The cats smell the different taste and tend to abandon the kittens or carry them away I was told by the vet and I followed the rule. With 8 weeks we brought all kittens to the vet for a check up and shots. Zenzi and the others cats (later) weren't happy about that (we never managed to bring Zenzi to a vet, not in two years) but accepted that, I guess they - sort of- trusted us and we knew that with 8 weeks a kitten can be adopted by nice persons, so abandoning wouldn't cause that harm as in a younger age.

Since and while Zenzi of nine I gained (unfortunatelly) a lot of experiences in this field. (again: animals tend to come to my house). Living in a very small village, with lots of farms and unneutered cats in the neighbourhood I had a lot of cats sitting around, in need for help, food and medicine*. (there wasn't one the last monthes so I hope people are changing over here). I repeated the "kittens" game in different ways. All of them behaved like Zenzi of nine.

As long as the cat returns to the kitten, everything is all right. Mommy cat knows exactly what she does.So don't worry too much and don't try to solve that problem, it might happen, that the cat carries her kitten away again and then they won't have a chance to be domesticated and so to find a good place.

Kittens bond naturally to human beeings in the age of... hmmm I would guess 6 weeks or so. Once they are used to you beeing around (just seeing you), they will start to come over and play. That is quite everything I did with my kittens and all of them are perfect little soulmates to their owners now.

(one of Zenzis daughters has 3 sweet little kitten now by herself. All other kittens were adopted by caring nice people and all of them except two are safe and healthy. The other 2 are dead, one killed by a dog and one was hit by a car. I was sad about that.)

* I have a sort of an impression why they fled their homebase on a regular basis, but I really do not want to tell you why, as it would disturb you. So - just in case you might ask yourself: tHere, cats have lots of reasons to search for a safe place for the kittens.

All I have been writing refers to wild cats. Domesticated cats don't have a problem with human beeings touching the kittens. But wildlife cats are... anxious and untrusting.

Ah: feeding the kittens will attract other animals as foxes (or whatever lives in your area that eats kitten). So mothercat will either try to eat everything by herself or try to burry (? don't know the exact word) food so that no animal will be attracted. 4 monthes seems to old for me to domesticate, but I can only rely on that I have been told by the vet. Later on ( I'd say with 6 weeks around) you can start feeding them, that bonds them to you and mommy cat will graciously receive the goodies from you, as she doesn't have to bring birds and mices. (Be prepared, they teach the kittens "proper" hunting by bringing a living creature into the nest... that is not funny)

And - even if that sounds very very very harsh and hard hearted- in case that you'll find another cat with newborn kittens in your garden (once one comes, the others follow, at least this is my impression) and one of the kittens won't be fed by mommycat: don't bond too much to that little creature. We had that two times, and fed the kitten by ourselves with a recipe from the vet, but both kittens died. Just in case.... I was so devasted as the kittens died, don't let that to near to your heart. And just in case somebody finds that threat looking for advice: every 2 hours feeding in the first weeks during night also!. The recipe contains as far as I still know oil curk and egg yolk. You can buy special breeding catmilk for kittens in animal stores or at the vet´as well. It costs (over here) around 10 euros / bin and holds for weeks.

Good luck! If there is a question, ask me, I can call my vet for you but please mind the time difference, here it is 22:49 right now.

Sorry for my English, it is late and English is not my mothertoungue.

Last edited:
I found a pregnant super tiny black cat in my waste bin. She never saw the inside of a house and was terrible terrified by human beeings, so she was totally shy and had flees and other terrible things on and in her. I REALLY do not want to know what happened to her. So no way to let her check, basic medication were prescipted by descriptions via telefonem applying was pure horror. I called her Zenzi of nine as a tribute to seven of nine. Long story short:

I sort of adpoted her as far as it was possible, and finally managed to persuade her to come into our house. She chose the cellar and lived there until the kittens came. (I felt terrible about that, but she was comfortable with it). As she had the opprtunitiy to come and leave the house whenever she wanted (we built an exit for her), she left her kittens alone beginning from the first day of their life, beginning with very short periods, then extending them. Having no experience with kittens, I was terrified. The vet told me, that this would be ok as long as the cat returns within hours (! not minutes! - depends on the age of the kittens, but with 4 weeks, Zenzi was away for 2 hours, then fed the kittens and went again) and that cats do that, but that I should be aware, that cats tend to carry their kitten into another nest after a few weeks (she mentioned 4 weeks- this seems to be the age of your kittens.). In the early stage they search for a place where the kittens can't be eaten by other animals, dark, tiny, like a hole (here you have your zylinder).

She told me, that it would be extremely important to domesticate the kittens, otherwise they wouldn't have any chance to bond to human beeings. I have her voice in my ear since then " please , I really BEG you, do not allow Zenzi to carry the kittens away!"- hahaa. Funny advice with a cat that tried to climb the wall up (SIC!) after seeing a house from the inside the first time in her life, totally disturbed by everything.
The vet also told me, that the cat searches another SAFE place for the second moving if she thinks, place one is unsecure. So I waited and hoped. Zenzi moved into the first floor and went on leaving the house whenever she wanted to. Nice time in my life, as I was Mrs. "open the cellar-door, close the cellar-door, open the cellar-door" for her to leave the house as until she died she never understood the principle of a frontdoor, so I have a good impression how often she left and how long she was away sometimes.

So: it is total normal behaviour to leave the nest for cats. They will return. Do not, I repeat NOT touch the kittens until they leave the nest by themselves for short walks and lookarounds(around 6 - 8 weeks). The cats smell the different taste and tend to abandon the kittens or carry them away I was told by the vet and I followed the rule. With 8 weeks we brought all kittens to the vet for a check up and shots. Zenzi and the others cats (later) weren't happy about that (we never managed to bring Zenzi to a vet, not in two years) but accepted that, I guess they - sort of- trusted us and we knew that with 8 weeks a kitten can be adopted by nice persons, so abandoning wouldn't cause that harm as in a younger age.

Since and while Zenzi of nine I gained (unfortunatelly) a lot of experiences in this field. (again: animals tend to come to my house). Living in a very small village, with lots of farms and unneutered cats in the neighbourhood I had a lot of cats sitting around, in need for help, food and medicine*. (there wasn't one the last monthes so I hope people are changing over here). I repeated the "kittens" game in different ways. All of them behaved like Zenzi of nine.

As long as the cat returns to the kitten, everything is all right. Mommy cat knows exactly what she does.So don't worry too much and don't try to solve that problem, it might happen, that the cat carries her kitten away again and then they won't have a chance to be domesticated and so to find a good place.

Kittens bond naturally to human beeings in the age of... hmmm I would guess 6 weeks or so. Once they are used to you beeing around (just seeing you), they will start to come over and play. That is quite everything I did with my kittens and all of them are perfect little soulmates to their owners now.

(one of Zenzis daughters has 3 sweet little kitten now by herself. All other kittens were adopted by caring nice people and all of them except two are safe and healthy. The other 2 are dead, one killed by a dog and one was hit by a car. I was sad about that.)

* I have a sort of an impression why they fled their homebase on a regular basis, but I really do not want to tell you why, as it would disturb you. So - just in case you might ask yourself: tHere, cats have lots of reasons to search for a safe place for the kittens.

All I have been writing refers to wild cats. Domesticated cats don't have a problem with human beeings touching the kittens. But wildlife cats are... anxious and untrusting.

Ah: feeding the kittens will attract other animals as foxes (or whatever lives in your area that eats kitten). So mothercat will either try to eat everything by herself or try to burry (? don't know the exact word) food so that no animal will be attracted. 4 monthes seems to old for me to domesticate, but I can only rely on that I have been told by the vet. Later on ( I'd say with 6 weeks around) you can start feeding them, that bonds them to you and mommy cat will graciously receive the goodies from you, as she doesn't have to bring birds and mices. (Be prepared, they teach the kittens "proper" hunting by bringing a living creature into the nest... that is not funny)

And - even if that sounds very very very harsh and hard hearted- in case that you'll find another cat with newborn kittens in your garden (once one comes, the others follow, at least this is my impression) and one of the kittens won't be fed by mommycat: don't bond too much to that little creature. We had that two times, and fed the kitten by ourselves with a recipe from the vet, but both kittens died. Just in case.... I was so devasted as the kittens died, don't let that to near to your heart. And just in case somebody finds that threat looking for advice: every 2 hours feeding in the first weeks during night also!. The recipe contains as far as I still know oil curk and egg yolk. You can buy special breeding catmilk for kittens in animal stores or at the vet´as well. It costs (over here) around 10 euros / bin and holds for weeks.

Good luck! If there is a question, ask me, I can call my vet for you but please mind the time difference, here it is 22:49 right now.

Sorry for my English, it is late and English is not my mothertoungue.
Thank you so much for your advice! I really appreciate your offer to ask your vet too.

The mom has been sleeping outside the nest most of the time. The nest is a deep cylindrical fountain. It is like they are at the bottom of a deep bucket. I haven't seen the mom jump inside since she moved them. They were crying quite a bit yesterday. Now they are sleeping and she isn't around. I hope they are sleeping because they just got fed. I think they are safe where they are. We have a fence around our yard so she only has to worry about other cats and opossums. There was some animal, possibly a dog, that was killing cats in the neighborhood so it is lucky she picked a fenced area.

I don't know how to tell how old the kittens are. It seems like their fur colors have changed some. There is a gray one that I originally thought was black. He might have just been in the shadows. There is an off-white one that I thought would be a champagne color but today it looks like it changing to a light gray. The other three are white like their mother. I'm not sure if they are pure white. They have blue eyes. I didn't notice any with different colored eyes. I've heard that white cats can be deaf or blind. The mother is white but I think she can see and hear.

I've only had 2 pet cats. Many years ago, a friend had a partially feral cat who had kittens in her yard. She had been feeding the cat but it never came inside, which is why I say it was partially feral. She had problems keeping her dogs away from the kittens. She gave us a calico kitten that was probably a little too young to leave the mom, but her ear had been chewed on by the dog. That kitten loved to sit on the back of my neck. I kept her there most of the day and just walked around hunched over so she wouldn't fall off. It paid off because she became the most loving cat ever, but she was always a one-person cat. She was very smart. We used to play hide and seek. She would come up to me, paw at me, then run away and hide. Once I caught her, we would cuddle. She died when she was 10.

I got the second cat when a feral mom cat built her nest in a tree. The kittens fell out of the tree. My daughter put them on the porch and the mom carried them back up the tree. The second time they fell out, we didn't want to give them back. One of them didn't survive. My daughter fed the rest with kitten formula. She gave away all but one. The one we kept had some problems. He never got very loving. He was skittish. I don't know if we did something wrong or if he got brain damaged when he fell out of the tree.

Last edited:
Here's a picture of the mom. The kittens are in that cylindrical thing on the right, about two feet down from the top. The picture isn't the best quality because I couldn't get too close.

Attachments

• feral cat July 2015.jpg
    feral cat July 2015.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 148
No wonder you were concerned! Cats in general are very squishable so she probably does have room in there. If you notice her leave you can always pop over to look in there to see how the babies are, or listen for them crying. Hopefully she knows what she is doing and the babies can be taken to rescue in a few weeks!

No wonder you were concerned! Cats in general are very squishable so she probably does have room in there. If you notice her leave you can always pop over to look in there to see how the babies are, or listen for them crying. Hopefully she knows what she is doing and the babies can be taken to rescue in a few weeks!
Today there are only 4 kittens in there. :cry:I don't know what happened to the other one. It was one of the white ones. One of the other white ones is getting gray stripes on her head.

Later today there were only 3 kittens! I was so worried. I decided to take a picture of the remaining kittens so I would have something to remember them by. While I was taking the picture, I noticed something furry in the bushes. The mother and the two lost kittens were back there! I'm glad they are all right after all. I wonder if she is going to move them all someplace else so I'll never see them again.

Attachments

• kittens002.jpg
    kittens002.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 121
The mom took the gray kitten out a few days ago. I kept waiting for her to take the other two but she didn't. She has been hanging around and I didn't know if she was going in there to feed them. Today they were dead. DH tells me it is nature's way. She couldn't feed all of them so she chose the three healthiest and left the others. I wish she had told me someway so I could have had a chance of saving them.

The other three are in a dark corner of the garden. She did a wonderful job of finding a good spot for them. They are well hidden and protected.

Today I caught her nursing two kittens. I don't know where the third one is! I thought I saw it yesterday, but it is harder to find because it is dark.

Attachments

• feral cat with 2 kittens007.jpg
    feral cat with 2 kittens007.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 97
The last few days they've been out in the open somewhat. The mom left them alone for awhile so I got a few pictures. I discovered another litter of 7 or 8 black kittens between our property and our neighbors.

Attachments

• feral kitten 7 23 2015 064.jpg
    feral kitten 7 23 2015 064.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 80
  • feral kitten 7 23 2015 043.jpg
    feral kitten 7 23 2015 043.jpg
    909.8 KB · Views: 88
  • feral kitten 7 23 2015 040.jpg
    feral kitten 7 23 2015 040.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 91