The Thrill is Gone

You may not agree, but I am pretty sure, you are not that familiar with different BV leather, leather treatment, name of the different shades of color, name of the classic bags, the meaning of intrecciato and why intrecciato was used instead of using the whole leather. Im also almost 100% sure you havent seen any celebrity before DL who have constantly worn a BV bag.

I started adoring BV since 2005, and I can count on my fingers (figuratively) on how many celebrities that i know who have carried the bags.

Also very evident on the resale market, where the resale value WAS very low.
A good thing about a brand being popular is that, for those of us who would like to buy new, we can count on reselling the bag if it didn't work out without having to loose most if not all of the money you put into it. Because no matter how much you adore a particular leather or style in the store, a lot of times you only realize if it personally works out for you when you own it and use it for several months. This is especially true if you are new to owning more two handbags or to luxury in general, which many "younger" people fall into.
Another silver lining with "popularity" is that bags aren't all about leather or the making, things like how much fits in it, how practical the bag is to use can be learnt from "reviews" which are high in number for popular bags. After all purse forum and the number of posts here are ironically indicating BV's popularity already similar to what social media does. If not for this forum a person like me would have never discovered this brand or gained confidence in it :smile:
That said, I am always on the look out for those under the radar gems when it comes to luxury.

A good thing about a brand being popular is that, for those of us who would like to buy new, we can count on reselling the bag if it didn't work out without having to loose most if not all of the money you put into it. Because no matter how much you adore a particular leather or style in the store, a lot of times you only realize if it personally works out for you when you own it and use it for several months. This is especially true if you are new to owning more two handbags or to luxury in general, which many "younger" people fall into.
Another silver lining with "popularity" is that bags aren't all about leather or the making, things like how much fits in it, how practical the bag is to use can be learnt from "reviews" which are high in number for popular bags. After all purse forum and the number of posts here are ironically indicating BV's popularity already similar to what social media does. If not for this forum a person like me would have never discovered this brand or gained confidence in it :smile:
That said, I am always on the look out for those under the radar gems when it comes to luxury.
Just my thoughts but I'm guessing that, a few years down the road, we'll see which DL styles shake out to become representative of his take on the brand. I'm very interested to see how the wider intrecciato wears, what some of the styles look like when they softened from use. I agree with your statement about not knowing how a bag will work for you until you've had the opportunity to carry it for a while, the wide strap on the Jodie is a case in point, I'm not sure it'll work for everyone. But if it softens and stays well on the shoulder I can see that one sticking around.
I'm one of those who feel the quality of manufacture and the leather are a huge part of what a bag's about. But if a person is more into the style of the moment rather than longevity I can see where it may not be as important to them. But at these prices personally I'd want the bag to last a very long time and be of high quality. It'll be interesting to see how well the current collection ages.

Just my thoughts but I'm guessing that, a few years down the road, we'll see which DL styles shake out to become representative of his take on the brand. I'm very interested to see how the wider intrecciato wears, what some of the styles look like when they softened from use. I agree with your statement about not knowing how a bag will work for you until you've had the opportunity to carry it for a while, the wide strap on the Jodie is a case in point, I'm not sure it'll work for everyone. But if it softens and stays well on the shoulder I can see that one sticking around.
I'm one of those who feel the quality of manufacture and the leather are a huge part of what a bag's about. But if a person is more into the style of the moment rather than longevity I can see where it may not be as important to them. But at these prices personally I'd want the bag to last a very long time and be of high quality. It'll be interesting to see how well the current collection ages.
Yea, I am curious to see how Jodie would come to be too. My new mini Jodie is on its way :yahoo:
When i first started buying into luxury i was drawn to Bottega's leather and construction and quality like you just described. I was still buying all the wrong pieces because I did not know what colors went well with my wardrobe and if i would actually like my bag to be a cross boy, top handle or a shoulder bag. Apart from style for style's sake, some practicality comes out of the styles, and since prior to luxury I was a no hand bag girl :shocked:, or owned like only one bag which i rarely used, I was impatient and invested in wrong items. But say, when i got LV, or Gucci, from the overwhelming reviews and youtube videos I could already tell if that would somewhat work with my lifestyle. I spoke out of that experience :angel: But i think I should have been more patient and got pre loved or have checked my style with other contemporary brands to see what worked for me first, lol.
Nevertheless, i think all the free bag sponsorship are an unhealthy trend, it kills the honesty, and with overwhelming demand the quality becomes even more challenging with particular models.

Yea, I am curious to see how Jodie would come to be too. My new mini Jodie is on its way :yahoo:
When i first started buying into luxury i was drawn to Bottega's leather and construction and quality like you just described. I was still buying all the wrong pieces because I did not know what colors went well with my wardrobe and if i would actually like my bag to be a cross boy, top handle or a shoulder bag. Apart from style for style's sake, some practicality comes out of the styles, and since prior to luxury I was a no hand bag girl :shocked:, or owned like only one bag which i rarely used, I was impatient and invested in wrong items. But say, when i got LV, or Gucci, from the overwhelming reviews and youtube videos I could already tell if that would somewhat work with my lifestyle. I spoke out of that experience :angel: But i think I should have been more patient and got pre loved or have checked my style with other contemporary brands to see what worked for me first, lol.
Nevertheless, i think all the free bag sponsorship are an unhealthy trend, it kills the honesty, and with overwhelming demand the quality becomes even more challenging with particular models.
I can't tell you how many bags I've purchased that didn't work out for me. I also seem to have a bit of a short attention span :lol:. I buy pre-loved almost exclusively and many of the styles I like are discontinued so there's no chance of trying before you buy. But through trial and error I have a much better idea of what works (although I'm still suckered in by pics of great leather and styles that may or may not work). I'm trying to be a lot smarter about purchases this year.

I can't tell you how many bags I've purchased that didn't work out for me. I also seem to have a bit of a short attention span :lol:. I buy pre-loved almost exclusively and many of the styles I like are discontinued so there's no chance of trying before you buy. But through trial and error I have a much better idea of what works (although I'm still suckered in by pics of great leather and styles that may or may not work). I'm trying to be a lot smarter about purchases this year.
that is good to hear! now, i don't feel too bad about all my selling. haha

A very astute poster on here has been a really big help to me. She can frequently tell when I have fallen in love with a “leather” but not really the bag. She has saved me mucho dollars! I also confess that I have gotten caught up in the excitement of seeing many of you rave about a bag and bought one when I really knew it was not for me. But I have conquered that thank goodness.