The thrifty BE thread

Just wanted to know if anyone else has had a few thrifty moments in trying to acquire their latest BEs? Lately I have cashed in a pile of old silver jewellwry from my student days, sold off the last of my designer work clothes and unworn smart work shoes (last worn 2005) and raised enough cash for;
- turquoise tme
- dk grey lmm
- petrol pebbled wtm midi
anyone alse done similar???? I feel better because the new bags haven't cost me anything and I have cleared put a whole pile of stuff lying unworn in my closet.. Now I have space AND some yummy new bags...

Great idea, I've been selling off a few bits and bobs. Surprising what sells really. I sold a used pair of jeans for more than they cost me new. They weren't designer or anything like that either!

This thread was a great idea! I should do the same, in fact it's been on my mental "to do" list. But I've never sold anything and the biggest hurdle is probably in getting started... Did you use *bay or bon*? :thinking:

This thread was a great idea! I should do the same, in fact it's been on my mental "to do" list. But I've never sold anything and the biggest hurdle is probably in getting started... Did you use *bay or bon*? :thinking:

i used both, and have bought and sold for a long time ( bags and clothes mainly). but what surprised me this time was that a pile of old prada and gucci shoes and clothes etc if you add them all up even £20 each here and there it all adds... and the pile of cheap silver jewellery that went to the jewellers and got me £70 (for stuff that had been sitting in my kids dressing-up box!). i guess i was just reluctantly holding on to all this stuff as i thought it wasn't worth much, but who am i kidding? if i ever go back to work when the kids are older, is it really into a job where i will wear Prada and Gucci everyday... i doubt it! the only thing i would say is you need a bit of time to list stuff and trudge off to the post office with lots of small parcels but if i get 3 new bags out of it who cares! (and i can say to my husband they didn't cost me anything....ha! - i think my husband secretly thinks i'm a bit nuts when he is making a good salary and i am selling things for £10 here and there, but i pride myself on never asking him for spending money since i stopped work!)

I have tried to abide by the "one thing in one thing out" rule- not that I can say I stick to that 100%, but it does take the guilt of bag spending away and I have an old house with tiny closests so I really have to keep my collection mean & lean.

I sold a Burberry bucket tote on e-bay to pay for my orange HM; it was the best move handbag wise I've ever made- the Burberry was just sitting, I found myself rarely using it, but my Great Pumpkin HM is in constant use- I can't bear to not carry her!

I've totally been doing this for the past couple of years -- I had a huge stash of silver jewelry too that I just never wore and it was in a pile in my drawers -- sold a bunch to a dealer who also bought all of my vintage rhinestone jewelry that I never wore anymore (I did save a couple of great pins though) and the rest I unloaded at a garage sale. Anything nice or designer goes on Ebay on Bon - I've sold a ton and my closet is looking much tidier and I have cash in the bank - I still have too much stuff but I figure it's a work in progress;) My only challenge is not buying tons more -- there are so many great deals lately.

I am an Ebay nut. I love selling my stuff. The problem is finding the time to do it. Right now I am insanely busy at work and the selling process is making me crazy!:wacko:

Great of you to do this , Prada! ;)
I belong to another group..I just can't muster up any enthusiasm to rummage through my forgotten stash to check for treasures. The fact , that I also have to drive half an hour to the nearest PO..stand in line etc. will by itself kill a project like this!

I am an Ebay nut. I love selling my stuff. The problem is finding the time to do it. Right now I am insanely busy at work and the selling process is making me crazy!:wacko:

Same here -- my work is interfering with my life in all other aspects these days! I have several things that I'm just letting stay on Bon because I have no freakin' time to post them on Bay even though I know they'll sell there -- on Ebay you get a lot more questions and you have to stay on top of it more - Bon is more low key but often takes awhile to sell especially higher end stuff.

BonnieK - ITA on that mailing thing - I swear that is a royal pain and I have a post office super close to me even;)

I just sold loads of White stuff clothes, following a drop in dress size. What amazed me was that whilst some of the clothes hadn't been worn much and a few regularly - they all sold for stupid money - can't believe that some went for what they cost brand new! Used the money to buy my new Luella Giselle (medium size) so absolutely thrilled!

Plus a Radley bag for my mum and a few other bits and bobs off ebay!

Just lately I have been selling things to get space and money for the new, because I seem to have bad discipline on not getting new stuff, apparently. It helps tremendously but it is stressful somewhat, especially when the job gets in the way!