The seller is asking to complete the transaction out of ebay

elpiz2000

Mar 10, 2010
I've been offered a considerable discount from a seller on ebay for buying the bag outside of ebay and without paypal (bank account tranfer).
What are the risks in this kind of transaction?
he must be benefit in some way!
And I'm afraid to receive a fake bag instead of the one showed in the pictures.
Any suggestions?
thanks

Don't do it. I know it may seem like a good deal for you since you'll be getting a discount, but the risks outweigh the benefits by millions. Not only will you not have any protection, but this has scam written all over it. It's more than just you may be getting a fake bag. It could be them stealing your information or committing fraud or identity theft.

NEVER do bank transfers.

Look for another bag and block this person immediately. This is NOT the kind of person you want to do business with.

Elpiz2000 Absolutely DO NOT DO THIS... if he does send you a different bag than what he is showing... you will NOT be covered... I agree with nancyxwu, the risk far outweighs the benefits.

I agree! Without PP/eBay protection, the seller could ship you a box of kitty litter, and you would have no recourse. As others said, shop elsewhere because the risks far outweigh the benefit of any discount.

Do not do it, unless you already know the seller very well and trust them. You have NO protection off ebay and you should only do the deal ON ebay and only pay with PP.

If you're worried about getting a fake, then don't do it. You're not protected if you buy outside of ebay. If you're not familiar with the seller or their reputation, then off ebay would be risky.

Maybe you can ask the seller to list on Bonanzle and then you can purchase/checkout there? The seller still benefits with no fees to pay, and you will have documentation of what you're getting. Also, make sure you pay with a CC via Paypal.

nancyxwu wrapped it up "Report seller, block seller....don't don't do it. "

IF this offer is in writing and identifiable to the eBay seller, you will be doing yourself and many others a favor to report them. It could also be a hijacked eBay account and the Actual eBayer does not know what is going on, but STILL report it.

Do not give them any contact information so you avoid any backlash from them, and there is no need to tell them what you are doing. Just "no thanks".

Overall, it sounds like a scam. But depending on the motives of the seller, here's what I've done sometimes if the value of the transaction is high.

1. I ask buyer if he/she's willing to transact on eBay Singapore instead. There're no listing fees and no FVFs.

2. However, I will have to suffer an exchange rate differential since it's transacted in Singapore Dollars.

3. In return for his trouble at re-bidding, I offer a discount off the final sale price.

4. But both buyer and seller get protected since it's still on eBay and buyer gets PP protection.

Overall, it sounds like a scam. But depending on the motives of the seller, here's what I've done sometimes if the value of the transaction is high.

1. I ask buyer if he/she's willing to transact on eBay Singapore instead. There're no listing fees and no FVFs.

2. However, I will have to suffer an exchange rate differential since it's transacted in Singapore Dollars.

3. In return for his trouble at re-bidding, I offer a discount off the final sale price.

4. But both buyer and seller get protected since it's still on eBay and buyer gets PP protection.

I do not mind this at all, buyer still pay with Paypal-but the OP's seller asked for bank transfer!
OP, as everyone said, DO NOT do it! I do not even do with seller I knew (paid with bank transfer) Who knows if something happen during shipping, etc.

DO NOT DO THIS TRANSACTION.. especially with a bank transfer..

it is not worth it in the long run.. too many unknowns here and you don't need

to get caught up in anything.. read previous posts where things happen and buyers

are out $$$$$$$'s....