The Saint Laurent YSL College Bag Thread

Here is a photo of my Large Saint Laurent College Bag. I’ve had it for about a year. This is black with gunmetal silver hardware. I use it quiet often and it’s such a great bag, both in size and practicality. :smile:
I think I will be getting this bag! I have been looking for a black bag that I can use on a daily basis if needed and my choice has been narrowed down to either this one, the Sac de Jour or the College bag in medium. I did consider the Envelope bag but I prefer the top handle on the College bag. Regarding hardware, I am looking at either the silver like yours or the black hardware. What are your thoughts on the black hardware? Do you know if it is more prone to chipping or shows more scratches etc? Thanks!

I think I will be getting this bag! I have been looking for a black bag that I can use on a daily basis if needed and my choice has been narrowed down to either this one, the Sac de Jour or the College bag in medium. I did consider the Envelope bag but I prefer the top handle on the College bag. Regarding hardware, I am looking at either the silver like yours or the black hardware. What are your thoughts on the black hardware? Do you know if it is more prone to chipping or shows more scratches etc? Thanks!
Hi, I really love the YSL College bag and I recommend it highly.

I don’t like the Sac De Jour much anymore even though I own both the baby and Small size. I find the Small very heavy and when worn with the long strap I find it clunky. I don’t like the open top either. The bag is just plain looking to me now and the stamp logo is prone to fading away.

I love all 3 hardware on the College bag. The black hardware is amazing very edgy and high fashion. I have not heard too many chopping issues lately, I think the older bags had chipping but the newer ones have not. If you get silver or gold you won’t have to worry about chipping.

Hi, I really love the YSL College bag and I recommend it highly.

I don’t like the Sac De Jour much anymore even though I own both the baby and Small size. I find the Small very heavy and when worn with the long strap I find it clunky. I don’t like the open top either. The bag is just plain looking to me now and the stamp logo is prone to fading away.

I love all 3 hardware on the College bag. The black hardware is amazing very edgy and high fashion. I have not heard too many chopping issues lately, I think the older bags had chipping but the newer ones have not. If you get silver or gold you won’t have to worry about chipping.
Thank you so much! This is so helpful! Yeah, the Sac De Jour has been on my mind for so long - to me it seemed like the sensible option since I love top handle satchels - but at the same time, I kept hesitating to place the order.

I am excited to get the College bag. I think it looks so chic and edgy at the same time. Anyway, I am off to place my order and I will get the one with silver hardware; I think it is called gunmetal silver? I like the one with the black hardware too! :biggrin:

Thank you so much! This is so helpful! Yeah, the Sac De Jour has been on my mind for so long - to me it seemed like the sensible option since I love top handle satchels - but at the same time, I kept hesitating to place the order.

I am excited to get the College bag. I think it looks so chic and edgy at the same time. Anyway, I am off to place my order and I will get the one with silver hardware; I think it is called gunmetal silver? I like the one with the black hardware too! :biggrin:
How exciting! I have the College in both gold and silver hardware. I love that they have an antique aged look as opposed to super shiny hardware. Try the bag on with different outfits and see if you like it, if not you can return it. :smile:

Hi I was wondering if anyone can help. I recently purchased the College medium in silver hardware from Neiman Marcus a few months ago. Love it and didn’t think anything of it. A few days ago I went to the Saint Laurent boutique with my baby cousin because she wanted the same bag. The SA made a comment saying my bag was defected. The leather had a sheen to it (as seen in the bottom of the attached picture) and that it shouldn’t look like that. It should look like the top photo. The SA suggest that I take it in the store for an exchange with the receipt. Has anyone had the same problem?

Attachments

• 8CA28F47-244C-4BAD-A1FC-A272FD2FFB96.jpeg
    8CA28F47-244C-4BAD-A1FC-A272FD2FFB96.jpeg
    434.9 KB · Views: 715
How exciting! I have the College in both gold and silver hardware. I love that they have an antique aged look as opposed to super shiny hardware. Try the bag on with different outfits and see if you like it, if not you can return it. :smile:
Is your College with gold hardware the medium-sized one? I am petite (about 5'4") and was originally leaning towards the medium-sized bag but the really long strap, which is not easy to shorten, was an issue so I decided to get the large size. I agree with you, I so much prefer the antique aged look for the hardware. Looking forward to receiving my bag. :smile:

Is your College with gold hardware the medium-sized one? I am petite (about 5'4") and was originally leaning towards the medium-sized bag but the really long strap, which is not easy to shorten, was an issue so I decided to get the large size. I agree with you, I so much prefer the antique aged look for the hardware. Looking forward to receiving my bag. :smile:
I have 3 College bags now. I have one Medium in Black/Gold and 2 Large College bags in black, one with silver and one with gold hardware.

I love the size of the large. It is a great “medium” sized bag without being oversized. I love the strap length so chic and I don’t mind that it doesn’t go crossbody. It just looks so cool.

My Medium is such a roomy and practical bag too but the chain strap annoys me like crazy. It is far too long. I am thinking of getting it professionally shortened but too scared lol. If the chain was shorter it would be the perfect crossbody bag ever.

I have 3 College bags now. I have one Medium in Black/Gold and 2 Large College bags in black, one with silver and one with gold hardware.

I love the size of the large. It is a great “medium” sized bag without being oversized. I love the strap length so chic and I don’t mind that it doesn’t go crossbody. It just looks so cool

My Medium is such a roomy and practical bag too but the chain strap annoys me like crazy. It is far too long. I am thinking of getting it professionally shortened but too scared lol. If the chain was shorter it would be the perfect crossbody bag ever.
Yes, I read about the strap being far too long on the medium and decided to pass on it. Is the chain strap detachable? If it is, you could use a different strap in its place instead of trying to shorten it.

I am very happy with the strap length on the large College bag. I like shoulder bags, and watched some YouTube videos where the girl styled her large College bag with different outfits and it looked great!

My large college bag arrived a few days ago and I like it a lot. The bag is easy to use and I especially love the antique silver hardware. :heart: It looks more understated when compared to the shiny hardware and I love the chunky chain strap. Only one thing makes me hesitate and that is the size, since it looks bigger on me than I had expected.

I am going to try styling it with fall clothing and see if that makes a difference. But overall, I really like the bag!

My large college bag arrived a few days ago and I like it a lot. The bag is easy to use and I especially love the antique silver hardware. :heart: It looks more understated when compared to the shiny hardware and I love the chunky chain strap. Only one thing makes me hesitate and that is the size, since it looks bigger on me than I had expected.

I am going to try styling it with fall clothing and see if that makes a difference. But overall, I really like the bag!
Congratulations on your Large College bag! The Large College is one of my favourite bags ever. It has everything i look for in a bag. Chevron quilting, lightweight, nice classic logo, antique aged hardware, mix between elegant and edgy, exterior back pocket, leather piece on shoulder strap and a chunky chain strap that is not too long. Just perfect.

I think it looks great with fall/winter outfits. But looks nice with jean shorts and simple tshirt in summer as well. If you think it's too big you can always return :smile:

Congratulations on your Large College bag! The Large College is one of my favourite bags ever. It has everything i look for in a bag. Chevron quilting, lightweight, nice classic logo, antique aged hardware, mix between elegant and edgy, exterior back pocket, leather piece on shoulder strap and a chunky chain strap that is not too long. Just perfect.

I think it looks great with fall/winter outfits. But looks nice with jean shorts and simple tshirt in summer as well. If you think it's too big you can always return :smile:
Yes, the large College bag is very easy to use and it fits quite a bit as well. Last week, when the bag arrived, my schedule was a bit tight, and I was not able to try it on with different outfits etc., but I got a chance to do it this week, and I think it looks great with fall and winter outfits. But I also like how it looks with a denim skirt and T shirt, which is kind of my casual summer uniform. :smile:
30E7AE7D-8390-4319-A1EE-941BCB202F54.jpeg

Last edited:
I've noticed that SL hasn't been releasing as many new Colleges in the recent collections, and they no longer list the College as a handbag "line" on the website (like they do with Sac De Jour, Kate, Sunset, Loulou, etc). I wouldn't be surprised if they're gradually phasing the design out and discontinuing them in a couple of seasons. That's my gut feeling anyway.

I've noticed that SL hasn't been releasing as many new Colleges in the recent collections, and they no longer list the College as a handbag "line" on the website (like they do with Sac De Jour, Kate, Sunset, Loulou, etc). I wouldn't be surprised if they're gradually phasing the design out and discontinuing them in a couple of seasons. That's my gut feeling anyway.
That’s true, but there are several new colours in Farfetch. I don’t understand though why they don’t sell them on YSL site.