The saddest realisation of all.... ATTN PEOPLE BABYING BAGS!

When I first started collecting high-end bags, I only used them when DH and I were going out for the evening or on special occasions. My daughter's boyfriend used to joke about me never taking them out of "the vault" (my closet).

One day DH asked me why I didn't use my bags all the time. I said that I didn't want them to get dirty, ruined, etc...

He stood there for a second - then said to me "Why spend all that money on something and then pack them away where you can't enjoy them? If they get ruined, we'll just buy a new one. Please use your bags - they make you happy."

He is such a sweetie! :love:

Since then, I have been using my bags everyday - except when the weather is really bad. I have also decided that I am going to start to wear my good jewelry more often. Diamonds go with everything, right? ;)

Wow! Very touching stories....Thanks so much for sharing. I know that it was meant for me to read this as I am so guilty of the same behavior. I'm too embarrased to admit to how many new and literally untouched handbags are sitting in my closets. For fear of getting them soiled, I have never carried 90% of my handbags, but I do enjoy gifting them to friends and relatives. Having read your stories, I have just made a promise to myself that I will start today to enjoy what I have worked so hard at to obtain. It's time to break old habits.

Thanks for posting. I love using my bags and my jewelry and have never had a problem with that. If anything my favorite Prada looks so beat up that I'm looking on Ebay to buy a duplicate. *beat up not through mistreatment, just through so much use!

My bag purchases are carefully planned and budgeted for. There's no way I could justify not carrying it after all that! DH understands about getting bags into a rotation, so he knows that my purses will be carried and not stored away never to see the light of day. :sunshine:

The stories are touching and true, and a good reminder for everyone. I don't mean to stir any drama, but I noticed the OP was banned. I guess that's neither here nor there, just interesting. :shrugs:

I've never understood the whole "Babying" of handbags. I take care of my items, but would never think of NOT using a bag for fear of it getting dirty, wet, stained, scratched, looked at wrong, breathed upon......you get my point.

While I watch where I lay my bags, I wouldn't dream of putting paper towels underneath it while in the car or asking for it's "own chair" in a restaurant, or lysol the grocery cart before putting it inside. There's fabric cleaner and leather cleaner/conditioner to fix things. When it can't be fixed, it's not devastating and earth shattering for me. It's a handbag and can be replaced.

I know many will disagree - but take those bags out, use them, set them down, and enjoy. JMHO :shrugs:

or lysol the grocery cart before putting it inside.
This is one of the things that I am not ever going to do, and that is put my bag in the seat part of the grocery cart. I can only imagine how many poopy diapers graced those seats of those carts, so in this sense, I can honestly say that my bag is babied all the way!:P