The sad story of the Cape Cods

Anna Bella

O.G.
Dec 26, 2006
To mark the occasion of her obtaining her PhD last year, my mother and I made a pilgrimage to the Hermes othership in Paris, on Rue St-F. She wanted to buy her dream watch - the Hermes Cape Cod in Gold with a croc strap. She loves her watch so much!

BUT

It stopped one day, out of nowhere. She sent it back to the head office, who sent it to Singapore to be fixed. She did not want a replacement because it was so sentimental!

ALAS

It stopped again! So she decided to accept their offer to have the whole watch replaced this time, sadly....

HOWEVER:

The new watch has stopped also!!

My mother is really very unhappy, because she is in love with her watch, and no other brand can tempt her.

Hermes have been horrified by her misfortune, offering refunds and repairs, but it looks rather unencouraging, doesn't it?

Does anyone have any experiences or advice they would like to share? What should she do?

Thanks in advance x

I have an older CC watch, it is silver rather than stainless, and it too has a habit of stopping unpredictably, despite having the battery changed regularly. Very disappointing. My newer, stainless one, has no such issues.

Hermes watches "insides" were of pretty poor quality until recently. Thus the recent overall of that part of the "house." Unfortunately they have focused on the mechanical and automatic. I am not sure if the quality improvement has extended throughout the entire line of watches

Some people's physiology stops electronic watches. I'm one of these people. I can only wear mechanical (perpetual mouvement or windup watches). I have a perpetual Cape Cod and I love it. Maybe your Mom is one of those people.

Some people's physiology stops electronic watches. I'm one of these people. I can only wear mechanical (perpetual mouvement or windup watches). I have a perpetual Cape Cod and I love it. Maybe your Mom is one of those people.
This is true for my mother as well. Her dress watches are windup and sports watches perpetual. Most people don't believe it's even possible for this to happen and I have no idea exactly what causes it.

Anna Bella - I hope your mother is able to get resolution from Hermes. The Cape Cod sounds just beautiful!