The RM tassel timeline

Punkkitten

O.G.
Sep 12, 2009
Hi Ladies!
I stalk on here and ask a billion and one questions too. I'm kind of (ok so perhaps full blown obsessed :P) transitioning out of my love of Coach and into RM. I love that her bags are a little classic and a little rock n' roll at the same time. I have purchased all "new to me" when it comes to her bags and notice that some come with tassles, some do not, some are "finished" and some are long (ala Balenciaga)
I totally dig the tassles (all of my RMs have them) but I noticed some sellers state their bags do not come with tassles. I'm currently debating between two matties one gray w finished tassles and one tangerine without....I'm actually leaning towards the gray (tassel fiend:graucho:) but wanted to know, what is the story behind the RM tassel? When did she start putting them on bags? Why are some finished and some not? And is it also possible to "date" the bag based on the style of tassel?

yuki920923

Nov 2, 2011
I am still relatively new to RM. But from my understanding, some older bags just didn't come with tassels. Bags produced in recent years mostly have tassels.

As for the finished tassels, those were from earlier generations, old school RMs.

(feel free to correct me)

beachgirl38

happy
O.G.
Feb 4, 2010
MAMs with signature hw do not come with tassels. Old school RMs with brass hw often come with long finished tassels. That was around 2007. I did have an old school MAM in chocolate with unfinished tassels - from around 2006/2007. There are also short finished tassels - not sure when they came out - 2008? Then unfinished tassels seemed to be what she made bags with since then. I do know that some special order BBW MAMs came with finished tassels though.....A few BBW MAMs came that way in 2009 and on.

Antonia

O.G.
Aug 20, 2006
Boston area
Ditto on the old school bags with finished tassels. If I could have it my way, all RM's would have long finished tassels.

Nov 23, 2008
Chicago
Old school bags usually with brass hardware have the long finished tassels. I'm gonna say this was circa 2006-2007. I do have a few bags with short finished tassels both from 2008, iris purple lizard MAB w/ signature hardware and eggshell MAC. (I think that it's possible that I ordered the MAB w/ short tassels). The signature hardware era 2007-08 didn't see as much tassels and this is where I think short tassels were introduced. During 2009, when straw bags and tons of studded bags came out I remember seeing short tassels for the most part. I dont know when she stopped doing short tassels but after 2010 the hardware started to change a lot to what it looks like today. That brings us to today where most bags have long unfinished tassels.

Last edited:

blackcat777

evil feline
Mar 10, 2012
fish taco land
I think...

2005~2006: Very Old School MAB / MAM with long unfinished tassels with brass hardware

2007: "Old school" bags with long finished tassels with brass hardware

2008 Spring: Siggy hardware with no tassels

2008 F/W ~ 2009 S/S (US made bags): Mixed hardware with short finished tassels

2009 S/S (made in China bags) ~ 2010: Mixed hardware with long unfinished tassels (grey striped, birdy, blue + polka dot, dash lining)

Late 2010 (or 2011?) ~: current hardware with long unfinished tassels (kiss, cheetah. then again blue + black polka dot with leather RM nametag)

Some sample sale bags has came out with different variations like 2011 Stone / Orchid which did not have a front pocket tassel.
Please feel free to correct above timeline if I did not remember it correctly :smile:

Last edited:

darkangel07760

metalhead
O.G.
Mar 27, 2009
Alabama
I think...

2005~2006: Very Old School MAB / MAM with long unfinished tassels with brass hardware

2007: "Old school" bags with long finished tassels with brass hardware

2008 Spring: Siggy hardware with no tassels

2008 F/W ~ 2009 S/S (US made bags): Mixed hardware with short finished tassels

2009 S/S (made in China bags) ~ 2010: Mixed hardware with long unfinished tassels (grey striped, birdy, blue + polka dot, dash lining)

Late 2010 (or 2011?) ~: current hardware with long unfinished tassels (kiss, cheetah. then again blue + black polka dot with leather RM nametag)

Some sample sale bags has came out with different variations like 2011 Stone / Orchid which did not have a front pocket tassel.
Please feel free to correct above timeline if I did not remember it correctly :smile:
This is great info. Thanks!