Stealth & Quiet Luxury and Hermes?

I think “stealth wealth” has always been around, but the public is just becoming more knowledgeable about it. People are also buying more sustainable products and focusing on quality items in general. It may be just a natural shift after many years of buying bulk to realize we are all just buying a lot of junk. I feel a lot happier having less stuff and having things that feel luxurious regardless of the brand. I also feel it is somewhat on trend now to buy items that are less recognizable but more meaningful (ie: to help out a specific cause). But with that being said sometimes I can’t help feel that if I’m going to spend a lot of money, I want people to know that it was expensive! Lol. I’m only human after all. Hermès helps because I do feel the brand in general is more discrete. Brands like Louis Vuitton on the other hand, I feel is too flashy and I actually feel quite embarrassed when I wear anything with the canvas monogram. I also remember traveling abroad back before Covid and saw some tourists dressed head to toe in luxury brands and felt they looked ridiculous! Bunch of H and CC logos. Which goes to show that even with a lot of wealth, being discrete is in my opinion classier.

I agree 'stealth wealth' comes and goes, depending on whether it's fashionable to flash what you have - or hide it. First termed in the 1990s when designers created rings with diamonds that were only visible from one side, sheath wealth's point is that it is only signals to the 'right' people (i.e. one's own social circle/those that know know, those who don't, don't need to).

I don't mind what others carry, often heavily logo-d products are bought and carried by those investing in their first designer products trying maximise the impact of the their hard saved for item. Usually created in coated canvas, they can be useful in bad weather and can often be ubiquitous in major cities, most don't even register them as there are so many real and fake.

I wouldn't carry a B because a 35 is a bit heavy and the smallest I'd go in a tote. I'd go to weight lifting classes for a comparative HAC though, it seems to have such lovely proportions :biggrin: .

The K, although arguably more iconic is IRL less flash with minimal hardware. Pretty easy to get away with carrying a neutral or subdued colour with no problem - especially if one doesn't leave it hanging open, making sure everyone reads HERMES PARIS MADE IN FRANCE :biggrin:.

People don't believe ostrich is ostrich or croc croc, there's so much stamped leather about. Reminds of the phrase "hiding in plain sight".

Strangely, I have no problem with the Constance, I find it too classic to be flash, but I still bought a Gucci 1955 (about the price of a preloved C) which is pretty similar because I prefer the horse-bit to that large initial. I've avoided the more obvious Constance belt buckles but there's nothing wrong with them.

It's so freeing carrying GPs, Plumes, Bolides etc. The quality with none of the conversation that Ks and Bs can provoke. Very often it is those that know, know that are the most sanctimonious and puritanical.

It's not a secret I like a bit of 'flash' just not usually the logo kind. I love seeing people dressed-up and looking glamorous, I will be sad if everyone goes around in sweats and jeans even more than they do now.

It will be interesting to see how conspicuous consumption plays out with this economic downturn. The Great Recession hit people more evenly whereas the pandemic is disproportionately affecting people depending on your source of income. On the other hand you have social media that drives people to want to keep up with the Joneses.

I am actually looking forward to the end of logomania. It’s getting tiring! I don’t care if you’re wearing something name brand if it doesn’t look good on you.

I don’t associate Hermes with stealth wealth just like I don’t associate high end cars with stealth wealth. Hermes lovers come in all shapes and sizes. Some who are truly wealthy, others who are collectors, others who have carefully saved up for their one and only birkin or Kelly, and everything in between. Not everyone who owns Hermes is wealthy. Stealth wealth is much more than carrying Hermes. It is having some or all of a family office, a fabulous art collection, a serious charitable bent, multiple homes, trust funds, a hangar - and being very quiet about it.

I think the concept of stealth wealth has gone beyond just the wealthy in popular culture... I take it to mean a growing trend away from highly branded things in general. I think that's the idea behind companies like Everlane, Cuyana, Allbirds, Mansur Gavriel, etc (all varying in expensiveness). I don't think it's a new "trend" but I do think it's now more popular or aspirational even among people not wealthy.

I grew up very modestly and always felt judgment for NOT wearing branded or identifiably designer things. And by designer I mean something like Juicy Couture or Uggs. :P Now, it's funny to find that it's not only okay to not wear those things but it's even aspirational and heck even the rich kids are doing it too. I always have a bit more respect for people who are wealthy and dress/live modestly. It feels like they were able to resist pressures I couldn't in a way.

I don’t equate Hermes with stealth wealth but I do think intentional purchases of fewer better quality things is the way to go. I don’t like logos on items but I think high profile H bags like a birkin, Kelly or Constance are fairly recognizable and makes its own statement. I like that H supports artistans and workmanship. I like the clean lines, quality and range of colours.
The nice thing about H is very little of the recognizable items are immediately available and require a wishlist which often gives the buyer time to plan and make an intentional purchase.

I don’t associate Hermes with stealth wealth just like I don’t associate high end cars with stealth wealth. Hermes lovers come in all shapes and sizes. Some who are truly wealthy, others who are collectors, others who have carefully saved up for their one and only birkin or Kelly, and everything in between. Not everyone who owns Hermes is wealthy. Stealth wealth is much more than carrying Hermes. It is having some or all of a family office, a fabulous art collection, a serious charitable bent, multiple homes, trust funds, a hangar - and being very quiet about it.

LOL, that's just being very rich.

Nothing stealth about having 3 Cézanne, a Picasso and a Riley on the walls of your bolt hole 'residence' in Monaco and funding a hospital wing bearing your name.

I think the concept of stealth wealth has gone beyond just the wealthy in popular culture... I take it to mean a growing trend away from highly branded things in general. I think that's the idea behind companies like Everlane, Cuyana, Allbirds, Mansur Gavriel, etc (all varying in expensiveness). I don't think it's a new "trend" but I do think it's now more popular or aspirational even among people not wealthy.

I grew up very modestly and always felt judgment for NOT wearing branded or identifiably designer things. And by designer I mean something like Juicy Couture or Uggs. :P Now, it's funny to find that it's not only okay to not wear those things but it's even aspirational and heck even the rich kids are doing it too. I always have a bit more respect for people who are wealthy and dress/live modestly. It feels like they were able to resist pressures I couldn't in a way.

I always think it's the duty of the very wealthy to not be miserly, spend their money, keep it flowing in the economy and give us all something gorgeous to look at and think "one day..." :winkiss:

I have followed this tread with great interest to see the various opinions on the topic. I have wondered lately if I'm being paranoid or if it's just a sign of the times that I have felt pretty uncomfortable with recognizable luxury brands. Not only do I feel a little guilty when so many are struggling financially now, but also have seen some pretty visible anger towards displays of wealth. A bit of a backlash towards the so called "1%ers" My husband and are by no means in that category, but worked hard to purchase the things we love and have made us happy. He has a 2002 Ferrari that was purchased used several years ago. Lately he has been cut off in traffic, flipped off and actually pursued by a bunch of guys in an old pickup who tried to sideswipe him. Very scary stuff. As we speak my 4 year old Porsche Cayenne is in the shop having several door dings removed some of which look like it took some force to create them. I am super careful about how/where I park so as to avoid that type of thing. Yet somehow over the past few months it keeps happening. Maybe a coincidence but again, makes me a little paranoid.

So bottom line is I try lately to carry bags that don't draw much attention. We live on a horse property and recently purchased a Jeep pickup truck to carry bales of hay, etc. and that's what I have been driving. Seems to be a little more under the radar. I hope this is just a temporary thing and that we can get back to a time where there isn't so much anger in the world.

I have followed this tread with great interest to see the various opinions on the topic. I have wondered lately if I'm being paranoid or if it's just a sign of the times that I have felt pretty uncomfortable with recognizable luxury brands. Not only do I feel a little guilty when so many are struggling financially now, but also have seen some pretty visible anger towards displays of wealth. A bit of a backlash towards the so called "1%ers" My husband and are by no means in that category, but worked hard to purchase the things we love and have made us happy. He has a 2002 Ferrari that was purchased used several years ago. Lately he has been cut off in traffic, flipped off and actually pursued by a bunch of guys in an old pickup who tried to sideswipe him. Very scary stuff. As we speak my 4 year old Porsche Cayenne is in the shop having several door dings removed some of which look like it took some force to create them. I am super careful about how/where I park so as to avoid that type of thing. Yet somehow over the past few months it keeps happening. Maybe a coincidence but again, makes me a little paranoid.

So bottom line is I try lately to carry bags that don't draw much attention. We live on a horse property and recently purchased a Jeep pickup truck to carry bales of hay, etc. and that's what I have been driving. Seems to be a little more under the radar. I hope this is just a temporary thing and that we can get back to a time where there isn't so much anger in the world.

Less anger and more love your neighbor and everyone getting along together would be my dream world. :hugs:

I could care less how much money anyone has...as long as I am comfortable and able to be me and take care of my family, that's all I want. :yes:

I've noticed that some drivers lose their damn minds when I drive my sports car. They'll intentionally tailgate and try to race me and cut me off. It's like they want to hit me and buy me a new car (or for me to crash and total my car...) When I see a nice car, I stay away because I don't want to damage it. Totally different mindset. When I'm in my beater, I still get cut off but I think it's more due to inattentive/bad driving than malice.

I recently bought a H Paris-Bombay specifically because it was so under the radar. I love the style, leather and the fact that it's not everywhere. At first I had buyer's remorse because it reminded me of a sturdier but much more expensive Longchamp cuir tote, but the quality and little details (the dual zipper, interior leather lining, the ability to make the ends dogeared for a different look) sold me on the bag.

To me, stealth wealth is wearing slide sandals and the same hoodie sweatshirt while driving a 20+ year old car when you have billions. In Silicon Valley, some people care more about ideas, experiences, and philanthropy and less about material things. I guess it depends on your priorities. For some truly wealthy, I think they still give off subtle hints that they have money, for example, in the tailoring of their clothing or how they keep up their hair/skin/nails.

I truly enjoy reading thought provoking threads like these. I really value each of you for sharing your thoughts so eloquently. I have stopped reading the comment sections of online articles from major new sources, as they are often filled with trolls who say nothing in the most negative way. All of you have valid points, and articulated your points well. Nicely Done!

It seems that ALL the major news networks want to fill us full of all the bad things that are happening in the world today. :mad:
Most of it is biased in the direction to which that media leans anyway or fake news, so you really don't get the truth or the entire story...maybe just a snippet of the story.

We need to build each other up, not drag each other down...especially in this stupid virus situation we are all going through. :tup:

Say kind things to one another, smile (hard to do with a mask on), comment on something someone's wearing or carrying in a nice way, compliment others. :smile:
This way, your day will go better and you'll make someone feel special. :flowers: