The "Right" thing to do when buying a first Mono bag...

isabellam

O.G.
Feb 16, 2009
Hello!
I'm thinking over my options for purchasing my first regular monogram bag, and for some reason, deep down, I feel I should get a Speedy 25 or 30. I like the lines of the Tivoli PM a lot, and the Palermo PM too (and the Montorgueil GM too!), but somehow, it just seems like the most proper thing to do is buy a speedy first. As in, the RIGHT thing to do, and it would be out of order to buy anything else first.

I really do want a speedy a lot, and it's not like it would be a hardship to have one LOL :lol: but I was wanting to run my strange thought past y'all and see if anyone else shares my weird idea.

If by right thing, you mean the most special, I agree! I think everyone's first LV, if you like it's classic beauty, should be a speedy. It was my first bag in the 1970s and the first bag I bought each of my daughters. It's a wonderful memory for each of us. I have never been without a mono speedy since the 1970s and couldn't even imagine being without one. To me, it's just a perfect bag. I have the mono speedy in 25 and 30 and love both.

I am proud to say that I've made the right choice and got my first LV - my Mono Speedy 30. It is a great, classic LV bag and I do not regret getting it - simply LOVE it. :smile: Good luck!

Hi,

I say get the bag that you want the most first because you'll always be thinking of that one and won't be settled until you have it (that's how I was). I know I wanted the Speedy 25 in my collection and I got it as my 3rd (maybe 4th) LV bag. I figure it was ok to delay the Speedy purchase because it's not a limited edition and I could buy it whenever I want.

Enjoy your shopping experience!

if you have a special bag in mind, get it! my first LV was a looping MM & it wasn't until six LVs later did I finally give into the mono speedy. it's a classic bag yes, but get whatever you like :smile:

I do own a mono speedy 30, but it was not my first LV...if you love the speedy you should definitely own one at some point, but you don't have to get it first.

I want a Speedy 25 and "believe" if I get it I'll be happy with just that forever - but I think sometimes people go for the Speedy or NF first because they are the cheapest. If you like something else better maybe you never need a Speedy?

I have 2 speedies, damier 30 and mono 25 that I bought bc I felt I had to own them because they are classic and everyone loves them. And honestly, I don't really like either one, so they both just sit.

*shrugs*

frankly, i don't ever plan on owning a mono speedy :P

i just don't like that bag. Buy whatever you love, not whatever you think you should love.

I think your first Mono bag should be something iconic, be it the Speedy, Noe, Alma, etc. But there's no "right" answer for what your first bag should or shouldn't be. Everyone has a different opinion. If you like the Speedy, go for it. If not, get what you like best! Hope that helps!

That was too why I qualified my response to say it's special if you love its classic beauty, then its really special. If you don't, I sure agree. Never buy a bag because you just think you should. If it's a style you've always loved though, I think it's a wonderful thing to start with a classic. My best friend started with the mono petite Noe and still has it and loves it. Anyway, that's why I said if you love it's classic style, it's a wonderful first bag. Enjoy though whatever you pick. Have champagne and enjoy the luxury of that very first LV!

It was so funny with my girls. They just loved the speedy. I think it was the Audrey Hepburn thing! Ha ha!!

I'm excited for you, whatever you choose!

Last edited: