***The Random Acts of Kindness/Pay it Forward Thread***

vhdos

May 18, 2007
Please use this thread to share how you engage in Random Acts of Kindness and/or Pay it Forward.
I'm going out one day next week with some friends and we are going to pool our funds and spread some joy by leaving gift cards (for things like gas, groceries, etc.) on car windshields, leaving bouquets of flowers, paying off lay-away bills, paying for lunches in drive-thrus, etc. With each Act, we will leave a note that has an explanation and also encourages people to Pay it Forward if they are able.
With all of the members here, we could really make a difference, so PLEASE JOIN ME!
Post your Random Acts of Kindness here and/or your ideas/suggestions:smile:
Thank you!

So here are the notes I am going to use when doing Random Acts of Kindness (for example, they can be placed along with a gift card under a windshield wiper of a random car)
IMG_4325.jpg

I also plan to make some notes specifically to Pay it Forward "Jayden Style"
Jayden Lamb was an 8 year-old boy who recently lost his battle with cancer. His death sparked a movement of kindness (that spread worldwide). Here's some info in case anyone is interested in participating:
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-18563_1...e-of-michigan-boy-inspires-torrent-of-giving/

This happened very close to where I live and it has spread so much further into the communities all across Michigan. We have been paying for the order of the person behind us in line at the drive-through, be it lunch for a carful of people or a simple coffee and I plan to continue doing other small acts through the year and getting my young son invoilved. I think it's a wonderful thing to do and too few people are considerate of others in this day and age, a little kindness goes a long way.

^I agree. I see lots of inconsiderate people too - it's amazing how many people won't even hold the door for someone who is directly behind them. Many of us can become so wrapped up in our own little worlds (myself included).
Research has shown that kindness can boost happiness in the person engaging in the good deed. Reasons why acts of kindness make people happier:
-Being generous helps us to perceive others more compassionately
-Being kind promotes a sense of connection with others, which is a strong factor in increasing happiness
-Being generous helps us appreciate our own good fortune
-Being generous boosts our self-confidence, makes us feel useful, and it gives us ways to use our strengths and/or talents in ways that are meaningful
-Being kind can start a chain reaction of positivity
I hope others will consider joining in and engaging in their own acts of kindness:smile:

Many times when my DH and I pass by a homeless person that really looks like they're in need we try to buy them a healthy meal either at a fast food place nearby or a bag of fruit, water and bread from a grocery store. We do not however leave money.

Here you pay to the parking meter and get a ticket you put in your car, when I still have time left on my ticket and there is no one around to give it to, I just leave the ticket in the parking meter machine, to be found by next person.

I don't feel comfortable buying things from sellers on streets and traffic signal corners, they do it without actual permits, but I can tell that some of them are poor and need to do this to earn money. I see many selling flowers, some roast nuts or bottled water. I stopped by one of these guys (selling water) gave him the cash I had on me, didn't buy anything just told him please keep this and this is a little help from me.

I took a homeless guy that was hitch hiking on I-95 100 miles to his destination. I bought him lunch and coffee plus a couple sandwiches for later. If I have the money I'll give to homeless people, I prefer to buy them something though(food, drink) I don't like the thought of my money going to drugs.

I took a homeless guy that was hitch hiking on I-95 100 miles to his destination. I bought him lunch and coffee plus a couple sandwiches for later. If I have the money I'll give to homeless people, I prefer to buy them something though(food, drink) I don't like the thought of my money going to drugs.

You're super brave! I'd be scared that it was a trick or if they were a serial killer or something.
(That was very brave and extremely kind of you btw)