The quest for the perfect handbag...

aeternum___

Feb 12, 2006
For my schools senior project I decided to create "the perfect handbag" and then try to set up my own business selling the purses that I have designed. I'm not sure whether it will get to that last step or not, but at the moment I am working on getting opinions on what you girls (the obvious handbag royalty) would consider the perfect handbag. I have a little questionaire below and if you could fill it out for me I would be forever thankful. :love:

Name -
Age -
Location -

Section 1: Colors/Fabric
1. In your opinion, is there a color of bag that can be used for every season?

2. If you absolutely had to choose a bag color to use/wear for an entire year (throughout all four seasons) which color would you choose?

3. What are your feelings on signature fabrics?

4. Would you rather carry a bag with plain, or patterned fabric?

5. What do you prefer your bags to be made out of if leather and other luxury materials are not available?

X. Do you have any other feelings/thoughts/comments on color/fabric?

Section 2: Designs
1. What is your favorite purse shape? (tote, hobo, pouch, barrel etc.)

2. What are your feelings on exterior pockets?

3. How important are “little details” on the exterior/interior of your bag?

4. What sort of straps do you prefer/how do you prefer to carry your bag?

5. What is your opinion on the statement ‘fashion over function’?

X. Do you have any other feelings/thoughts/comments on design?

Section 3: Your Favorite Bag
Please describe your favorite purse that you own, who designed it, what design it is, what you love about it, what could be improved about it etc. Pictures would be extremely helpful.

Section 4: Your Least Favorite Bag

Please describe the worst purse you have ever owned/handled, who designed it, what design it is, what you hate about it, what isn’t so bad about it etc. Pictures would be extremely helpful.

Misc.
Do you have any additional comments you think would be relevant my study?

Name - Elaine
Age - 18
Location - NJ

1. In your opinion, is there a color of bag that can be used for every season? Black.

2. If you absolutely had to choose a bag color to use/wear for an entire year (throughout all four seasons) which color would you choose? Black.

3. What are your feelings on signature fabrics? They can be nice, it depends on the brand and colors.

4. Would you rather carry a bag with plain, or patterned fabric? Plain.

5. What do you prefer your bags to be made out of if leather and other luxury materials are not available? Canvas.

X. Do you have any other feelings/thoughts/comments on color/fabric? Yeah, good colors are browns and other nuetrual colors.

1. What is your favorite purse shape? (tote, hobo, pouch, barrel etc.) Satchel shaped,

2. What are your feelings on exterior pockets? I don't care for them.

3. How important are “little details” on the exterior/interior of your bag? I think very. Shows the craftsmanship and quality.

4. What sort of straps do you prefer/how do you prefer to carry your bag? Usually, I like hand held bags.

5. What is your opinion on the statement ‘fashion over function’? Not too good for an everyday bag...

X. Do you have any other feelings/thoughts/comments on design? Nope...

Please describe your favorite purse that you own, who designed it, what design it is, what you love about it, what could be improved about it etc. Pictures would be extremely helpful.
My favorite is my mono Alma. It's from LV and it's a unique bag that holds a lot and is classy. The only improvement would be feet on the bottom.

I don't buy bags I don't like.

Please describe the worst purse you have ever owned/handled, who designed it, what design it is, what you hate about it, what isn’t so bad about it etc. Pictures would be extremely helpful.
I'm only thinking of fakes. lol I know a lot of people with fakes.

Misc.
Do you have any additional comments you think would be relevant my study? Yeah, everyone has different tastes. Also, every day entails different fuctions. There's no such thing as one perfect bag,

Name - Megan
Age - 24
Location - Calgary, Alberta, Canada

1. In your opinion, is there a color of bag that can be used for every season? Black, Brown, Red

2. If you absolutely had to choose a bag color to use/wear for an entire year (throughout all four seasons) which color would you choose? Brown

3. What are your feelings on signature fabrics? I like some like LV, Gucci, Fendi. I'm not a big fan of Coach.

Plain

5. What do you prefer your bags to be made out of if leather and other luxury materials are not available?
Canvas, Good Quality Vinyl, Microfiber would be ok too.

X. Do you have any other feelings/thoughts/comments on color/fabric? I love brown bags of any shade from a tan, to a cognac, to a chocolate. I really prefer leather, but coated canvas like LV is good too.

I guess the Satchel would be my favorite.

I generally like them. Depends on the bag. I like Marc Jacobs for example.

3. How important are “little details” on the exterior/interior of your bag? I generally like them as long as they are simple and not too overly elaborate.

4. What sort of straps do you prefer/how do you prefer to carry your bag? I prefer shorter straps that are meant to be handheld or carried o your arm.

I agree with it to a certain point. I will suffer some inconveniences and for a bag I love.

X. Do you have any other feelings/thoughts/comments on design? Functionality is important, but I think people are willing to sacrifice some function for style. I think the Paddington is a great example, I find it to be a little bit of a pain but it's just so pretty.

I would probably have to say my LV speedy 25. I just think it's a classic style. If I had to change something I would make it so it keeps it shape better, also I probably would have bought a bigger one.

Marc Jacobs Venitia. I don't think it is the worst purse ever, but I do think that it was designed kind of poorly. I don't own it, because when I went to buy it I realized that in order to access the main compartment of the purse you have to undo the buckle everytime, which I just find to be too inconvenient. The other option is to leave it unbuckled, but I think that ruins the look of the bag. The LV Manhattan GM is the same design. I just wish they would have put a hidden magnetic closure on the buckle instead.

Misc.
Just that I agree with purselova in that everyone does have different tastes, so there probably isn't a perfect purse that everybody is going to love, but you can definaly aim for the majority. Good luck with your project!

Name - Angel
Age - 27
Location - London, UK

Black and Brown are timeless colors ... probably a dark tan as well.

2. If you absolutely had to choose a bag color to use/wear for an entire year (throughout all four seasons) which color would you choose?

Brown defenatly!!

It depends what signiture it is ... for instance I would wear monogram LV .. but not Fendi! ... I woudl be fine with Chanel but not Christian Diro .. some designers just know how to make thier signatures wearable ...

plain

Leather

stick to neutrals ;)

satchels or shoulder bags

a MUST!

adds charactor

Durable leather or chain

something simple will always get by :smile:

my favorite one at the time is the paddington cuz of its durabel leather and amazing slouch .. I also love balenciaga for the amazing leather ... chanel is the best cuz of its timeless design and great leather too .. hmm .. so it is all about quality leather and simple designs :smile:

Prada nylon is very very bad!! stay away from nylon please! they stain quickly and really wear fast ...

Misc.

nope :smile:

Name - Theresa
Age - 41
Location - New York

1. In your opinion, is there a color of bag that can be used for every season? Black, Brown or Tan

2. If you absolutely had to choose a bag color to use/wear for an entire year (throughout all four seasons) which color would you choose? Black

3. What are your feelings on signature fabrics? They're OK if not too busy

4. Would you rather carry a bag with plain, or patterned fabric? Plain

5. What do you prefer your bags to be made out of if leather and other luxury materials are not available? Canvas

X. Do you have any other feelings/thoughts/comments on color/fabric? Stick w/basic colors

1. What is your favorite purse shape? (tote, hobo, pouch, barrel etc.) Satchel and shoulder bags

2. What are your feelings on exterior pockets? I don't like too many - 1 is OK

3. How important are “little details” on the exterior/interior of your bag? I love inside details - shows quality

4. What sort of straps do you prefer/how do you prefer to carry your bag? Leather or chain

5. What is your opinion on the statement ‘fashion over function’? I think you need both but function will usually win in the long run.

Chanel is my favorite bag. They are classy, elegant and timeless yet not overly obvious! Very high quality IMO!!

I like all the bags I own.

Misc.
user_offline.gif

Name - 613
Age - 23
Location - Toronto, Canada

1. In your opinion, is there a color of bag that can be used for every season? WHITE

2. If you absolutely had to choose a bag color to use/wear for an entire year (throughout all four seasons) which color would you choose? WHITE

3. What are your feelings on signature fabrics? THEY'RE VERY CLASSY IF DONE PROPERLY.

4. Would you rather carry a bag with plain, or patterned fabric? PLAIN

5. What do you prefer your bags to be made out of if leather and other luxury materials are not available? JACQUERED FABRIC

X. Do you have any other feelings/thoughts/comments on color/fabric? NOPE

1. What is your favorite purse shape? (tote, hobo, pouch, barrel etc.) HOBO

2. What are your feelings on exterior pockets? THEY MAKE THE BAG SEEM MORE CASUAL, BUT ARE CONVENIENT.

3. How important are “little details” on the exterior/interior of your bag? MEDIUM IMPORTANCE

4. What sort of straps do you prefer/how do you prefer to carry your bag? SHOULDER

5. What is your opinion on the statement ‘fashion over function’? I USUALLY LIKE TO FIND A BALANCE BETWEEN THE TWO.

X. Do you have any other feelings/thoughts/comments on design? NOPE

Please describe your favorite purse that you own, who designed it, what design it is, what you love about it, what could be improved about it etc. Pictures would be extremely helpful. I DON'T HAVE A FAV PURSE. I LOVE MOST OF MINE EQUALLY. I WOULD GET BORED WITH JUST ONE.

Please describe the worst purse you have ever owned/handled, who designed it, what design it is, what you hate about it, what isn’t so bad about it etc. Pictures would be extremely helpful. A NO-NAME DENIM BAGUETTE SHAPED PURSE. IT WAS SMALL, RETAINED A WEIRD SHAPE, AND IT STAINED MY SUEDE JACKET!

Misc.
Do you have any additional comments you think would be relevant my study? NOPE

Name - Hazel
Age - 22
Location - Singapore

Black, White, Brown

Dark Brown

I can only tolerate a few like Gucci, Lv and Chanel. I hate the rest.

Love both equally

Suede, Canvas, I like the orla kiely material...

nope

Totes, slings, clutches, small shoulder bags

I don't like them.

Very. If they match the bag well, they make the bag look even more desirable. Like charms and tassles and buckles. But if the wrong details are choosen, it can make the bag look worse. I love interior pockets and good quality interior lining.

I prefer not to have handheld bags. I like the strap long enough to carry the bag on my shoulder or slung across my body.

Both are equally important.

X. Do you have any other feelings/thoughts/comments on design? No

I love my red Alexander Mcqueen Novak and my MJ Chevron bag. They have unusual shapes/design. I love the leather.

A Furla Wallet. It was very impractical and difficult to use. It had no space to put anything and no coin pocket. Stiff leather.

Misc.
Do you have any additional comments you think would be relevant my study? None

Name - Marissa
Age - 17
Location - NJ

1. In your opinion, is there a color of bag that can be used for every season? Yes, Black and most shades of brown.

2. If you absolutely had to choose a bag color to use/wear for an entire year (throughout all four seasons) which color would you choose? Black

3. What are your feelings on signature fabrics? Ok if they are not too gaudy but i do prefer plain leather or suede

4. Would you rather carry a bag with plain, or patterned fabric? plain

5. What do you prefer your bags to be made out of if leather and other luxury materials are not available? Canvas

1. What is your favorite purse shape? (tote, hobo, pouch, barrel etc.) Hobo

2. What are your feelings on exterior pockets? they should be functional and always sound like a good idea, but i never end up using them.

3. How important are “little details” on the exterior/interior of your bag? On the interior i love details like little pockets or key fobs but on the outside i prefer a more uncluttered surface but still little details that show quality.

4. What sort of straps do you prefer/how do you prefer to carry your bag? I prefer an over the shoulder strap but i like them to be shorter so the bag is directly under my arm... i don't like long shoulder straps that leave the bag by my hip i would rather carry the bag on my arm then by my hip like that.

5. What is your opinion on the statement ‘fashion over function’? Sometimes... in an evening bag or a just toting around day bag i would take fashion over function but in a bag i use for school i would have to say function wins

Please describe your favorite purse that you own, who designed it, what design it is, what you love about it, what could be improved about it etc. Pictures would be extremely helpful. My favorite purse is my gallery tote by coach (from last yr) its suede and gets dirty easily so its not very practical but i still love it. I love that its very functional for me for books and carries all my crap. The only thing i would improve about it would be too make the straps a little bit thicker. sorry no pics i can't find my usb cable.

Please describe the worst purse you have ever owned/handled, who designed it, what design it is, what you hate about it, what isn’t so bad about it etc. Pictures would be extremely helpful. lol the worst purse i own would have to be one of my first its absolutely awful pleather and everything. i got it when i was like 8ish. So i would say the material is the part i hate. I do like the shape though like a dr. bag but with shoulder straps if that makes sense.

Misc.
Do you have any additional comments you think would be relevant my study? no...lol sorry but i can't think of anything else to say :P

Name - Ronja
Age - 17
Location - Denmark

-black, red..

-red..

-Don´t like them that much...

-Usually plain, but patterned could work as well...

-Canvas..

-Nope..

-Totes, Satchels, Shoulder Bags and Hobos..

-I don´t want the bag to be overloaded with them, 1 or 2 is okey...

-Not that importent, but 1 out of 10 times I do look for it before I buy..

-Over the shoulder strap and over both shoulders for school...

-Isn’t that like an apple/orange situation? I want it to look good, but I also want it to be comfy and easy to use without my shoulder going out of its right place…I would say function, but still both ways..

-Nope..

-My favorit is my HM bag. Pretty sure it´s leather, but don´t hang me up on it. I love it because one of the straps has a gold hoop attached with a keychain and I also like the details. You can find the pics in my threat under purse showcase...

-Have not had a bag like that yet...I hope that will never happen. Wast of monet, so never....

Misc.

-Nope..

Ronja