the Purse or the City?

mocean said:
also- this is an auction wit a caramel, looks accurate to the bags i saw at AR yesterday. deep caramel

I would not bid on this auction. The bag looks authentic, but the seller has priced the bag waaaay over retail. The city bag retails for $1195 (pre-tax) and this seller is selling his/her bag for a starting bid of $1376 or with a Buy It Now price of $1402. I don't know what the current conversion rate of pounds to dollars is, but it looks like you would be paying about $70 in shipping and handling on top of the price of the bag.

Since this color is new, you should be able to get it from Balenciaga NY, or Barneys, or Neiman Marcus, or one of the other Bal retailers without a problem once it become available for sale. Aloha Rag has the new Spring 2006 colors for sale, but according to my Aloha Rag PDF, they don't currently have the cognac in city in stock. You might want to double check with them though just in case. Depending on where you live and what store you purchase your bag from, you may even be able to get the bag tax-free.

jag, if you decide that the cognac city is the bag that you definitely want, you can always contact Bal NY or whichever store you prefer to purchase it from and have them put you on the wait list for the bag. That way they will notify you once the bag arrives and they will have one with your name on it reserved for you.

I can see paying more than retail for a bag with a color that is no longer available for retail sale, but to mark a current bag up this much seems like highway robbery to me.

Thank you so much for the info! When I order, I am definitely going to go through either Balenciaga or NM- I want my first B-bag to be perfect without any question in my mind as to authenticity. The only way I would buy from e-bay is if it was from one of the ladies from the forum, otherwise, I just can't trust it.

going to check out the difference between cognac and caramel- of course, I wish I could have one in every color! I can see this as being my new addiction- UhOh!:love:

I've been thinking about getting purse for my next b-bag. I have 2 cities and one classique - but thanks to angstofgumby's very informative comments - I may just stick with the City size, as it works so well for me. If anyone has any additional thoughts - let me hear them! :flowers:

I agree with most- the City is my first Bbag that I got 3 weeks ago and I'm LOVING it!! It's so practical - I love the black... it shows off the moto details well. I do love the caramel color too - very warm and pretty.

I'm with you on the ink - I fiond it such a weird color on me. It's pretty in pics, but I wear so much black that it just looks off for me - like it wan't to be black but isn't? I'd consider your wardrobe when picking the color.

Enjoy your first purchase!!

Just for your consideration: while the city might be a great first bag, I've heard rumors that they're discontinuing the purse style, and it might be good to snatch one up before they are gone for good (or at least for a lot above retail..LOL). Just my two cents! Good luck with your decision!

I'm sorry I brought back this 3 month old thread. I'm sure she made a decision already. I just wanted to talk about the purse vs. the city - and since there were some excellent points made here, I thought i'd just bump it.
I have 2 city bags and one classique.