The Pros and Cons of Epsom - evening bag PO - What is Your Experience?

Notorious Pink

Hermès PurseBlogger!
O.G.
Jun 8, 2007
I am considering getting a 25cm Birkin for evening/event use. I know that many prefer the Kelly Cut or Pochette for evening, but if I really want to go that small/formal I can just use my Kelly wallet with a twilly or farandole as a strap. I do need an evening bag and what I currently have is really too big. I love the designs of the Cut and Pochette, but I suspect I might ultimately wish for the 25cm instead as a practical matter; I don't see the Pochette holding my necessities plus two phones - it doesn't look much bigger than my wallet - and the Cut is very narrow. By the way, I have searched high and low here for good comparison photos containing the wallet, pochette and cut, and I haven't found any. I don't love the 25cm Kelly, as really you can't fit much in it at all (cm per cm the Birkin fits more than a same-size Kelly, IMO).

I do realize that this bag should probably be black. I do not have a black bag at all (!) and black would probably be the most versatile. Personally I would love to SO it with a pink interior, but my boutique has no SOs left for the next podium and I'd rather not wait 2 or 3 years, I've done that already. I'll figure out the color, I'm not too concerned about that.

What I am concerned about it the leather. Exotic is not an option, but I want it to look formal. I do not want this to slouch (I'm a Kelly Sellier girl, but that's Vache Liegee and I don't even know if they produce it anymore). So, my options are therefore very limited.

My SA has suggested Epsom. A number of people have posted here about about bags with an "anything but Epsom" view to the leather, which concerns me. I know this is all about personal opinion, but I would like to hear about people's experiences with Epsom bags. I have an Epsom wallet, which I have found durable, but I did have an inexplicable water issue (which may be just a fluke because many people have posted about Epsom handling water fine). I would consider Box, if that is available, but not swift (anything but swift! ;) ). I would welcome any suggestions, photos and advice! Thank you!

I don't know why people don't like Epsom....I actually favor Epsom over togo, I guess that's because I don't like something that's too soft.

Talk about evening bag, my SA show me a new design couple weeks ago. I don't know what's the name but it's very special and nice looking. It's a clutch with a brand new hook design (the hook actually looks like bathroom door's lock). The one that she showed me was croc and I am not sure if it comes in regular leather. It's a very classic and chic looking, the reason I didn't get it was because I never go out at night (still need to find a chance to use my kelly cut!), plus I think my constance elan looks formal enough for evening....

I have had the 25 cm I love it actually it's very comfortable and good looking for cocktail,going out to restaurant dinners, day wedding, mini flowy dress, flats beach dress dinner look, so in that sense go for it it's a wonderful little bag but.......actually the 25 cm birkin is the only bag I like Epsom. because it keeps the 25 cm shape longer. having said that it's not an evening leather, for me if I was going to wear a 25 cm at night for an evening event It would have to be in lezard or croc well...exotic. But .......if you buy a dark Epsom because it's what you truly want I'm sure you will make it work darling but........Epsom......... maybe evercalf or swift......epsom has it's little niche I would only buy a 25 cm in Epsom I'll post a small album with pictures of my sisters white 25 cm .hope it helps.best as always .birkel. Its a great bag But not an evening bag darling.

I have epsom in 35 birkin, 25 kelly, 25 birkin and 32 plume. I put my name under 30 candy birkin that also come in epsom. I have no problem with epsom, maybe because I don't really use them as workhorse bag. I just traveled with my 35 epsom iris birkin and had no scratches etc. I found that epsom, although not as hardy as togo clemence VL etc but way above barenia ,box, swift, evercalf,etc. scratch,mark wise. I like structure bag and epsom keep the shape pretty well and also lightweight. To me it take color pretty well.

My 25 sellier kelly in epsom never show any scratches after all those years.

I like my 25 birkin vert veronnese.I think 25 birkin is an ideal bag. easy to use, it can go casual or a bit dressy, day and night. I have another 25 birkin in croc but I must say the epsom get more chance to go out.

Here is an old pic of me carry it. help this help.

Attachments

• DSC05443.JPG
    DSC05443.JPG
    68.4 KB · Views: 1,439
I don't know why people don't like Epsom....I actually favor Epsom over togo, I guess that's because I don't like something that's too soft.

Talk about evening bag, my SA show me a new design couple weeks ago. I don't know what's the name but it's very special and nice looking. It's a clutch with a brand new hook design (the hook actually looks like bathroom door's lock). The one that she showed me was croc and I am not sure if it comes in regular leather. It's a very classic and chic looking, the reason I didn't get it was because I never go out at night (still need to find a chance to use my kelly cut!), plus I think my constance elan looks formal enough for evening....

verrou elan ?. I prefer to think of the closure as similar to a gate latch rather than toilet stall latch but hey, whatever works :smile:. It has been out for more than a year and it does come in box calf. (pic credit mine)
wsnck.jpg

Encore Hermes, that's the one I was talking about! I never seen this one before so when my SA showed me I thought it's new! Yes, whatever it works, but I think gate latch better than the toilet one :giggles:

I have an epsom birkin and I love it-its sooo light and structured, which I prefer. The first time I actually carried a B in fjord, I couldn't believe just how much heavier it was compared to mine! GL w/your decision OP!

Encore Hermes, that's the one I was talking about! I never seen this one before so when my SA showed me I thought it's new! Yes, whatever it works, but I think gate latch better than the toilet one :giggles:

It cracked me up when I read it, and it's true.

Another option is a 25 in a Kelly. It has nice lines in that size and IMO a little more formal looking.

The biggest disadvantage to Epsom is that it doesn't refurbish as well as the other leathers. I even read somewhere on this forum that H wouldn't even accept it for spa. Not sure how true that really is, but I'd check with Claude to get his opinion on the leather before placing your PO.

IMO, chevre would be a good option if box isn't available. Or even tadelakt could work (if it comes in black).
For all its virtues, I wouldn't choose epsom for a dressy or evening bag. Just doesn't have the appropriate look.
I know you said no exotic, but lizard would be spectacular and doesn't get into the stratospheric croc price range. I have a ficelle lizard birkin 25 and use it all the time for evening events and have also worn it for formal events. :smile: