The Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands by Dr. Laura Schlessinger

I personally can't stand her, and her points of view go against everything I believe in... but to each their own, everyone is entitled to their opinions!
I'll have to admit the title of the book is quite funny :lol:

bunnyjoon, I haven't read this book but several years ago I bought and read one of her books (10 Stupid Things Women Do, or something like that). She used to be on the radio where we lived before, and I agreed with her on some things and disagreed on others. I can appreciate that she doesn't waffle on doing what it takes to be a good parent. If she got into issues where I disagreed, I didn't really listen. We make our own decisions, after all. I like the phrase, "Take what you like and leave the rest"--I can appreciate some of what she says, but when I really disagree, that's ok, I don't have to do it. Does that make any sense at all LOL?

I think it was called "10 stupid things women do to screw up their lives."
I read it & agreed with what she stated. There is also one called "10 stupid things men do to screw up their lives." I had an agreement with a guy I dated at the time we'd each read these. (We both were on the path to higher awareness.) He screwed up before he completed it.

I read her book "Bad Childhood Good Life" and I thought she was very simplistic. Everything in life is not black and white and my impression was that she tries to define things that way. No middle ground. Everybody has their own personal situation, and she doesn't seem to have much awareness of that, except for what she thinks is wrong and right.

It might sound good on a radio show because then everyone sounds very decisive and incising in a few minutes of conversation, but that's not the way life really is.

That book put me off of Dr Laura. She might sound good to listen to, but I personally wouldn't want her as a counsellor if I needed one.

She just seem self-righteous to me. I am certain after writting her books, traveling to book signings, radio shows and her lovely freakish looking doll she has all the time in the world to focus on her husband... UGH.

You don't need to read Dr. Laura's book to tell you that guys are simple! Just read Cosmo.

Cosmo, in my opinion is very annoying and not a something I want my daughter to read. Cosmo is just about pleasing your boyfriend- EVERY month it is some new trick or gimmick or position to keep your boyfriend happy. It is pretty sad that a magazine thinks a girl can not get to know a guy with her witty conversation but on how many different ways to blow him.
I loved cosmo a long time ago when every headline was not something about sex, sex, sex.
monica

Cosmo, in my opinion is very annoying and not a something I want my daughter to read. Cosmo is just about pleasing your boyfriend- EVERY month it is some new trick or gimmick or position to keep your boyfriend happy. It is pretty sad that a magazine thinks a girl can not get to know a guy with her witty conversation but on how many different ways to blow him.
I loved cosmo a long time ago when every headline was not something about sex, sex, sex.
monica
I do agree with you on this one! One mag I do not buy!

The Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands is NOT anything close to babying your husband. Her main points are let your husband be a man, all he needs is sex and food and a soft place to fall.
How dull!! I personally am thrilled to report that my DH needs--and wants!-- more out of our relationship than this. Otherwise I'd never have married him, because I would've been bored to death long before it got that far.

Wow. All the women on here write thousands of posts about purses and fashion and what not and only 1 person has read this book. Kind of surprising. I read it and thought more women need to read this book and perhaps that would make them (and their husbands) happy.

Well No 1, give me a purse anyday :roflmfao: & No 2 If a manual is required for a marriage then i would say "Forget it" I think two people who know each other well enough to be married should also know what it takes to sustain it.
I totally disagree that a man "only needs food, sex & a place to fall" Whatever happened to love, affection, companionship, mutual support, mutual respect, the love of kids, etc etc etc etc?

monica

LOL! Talk about setting women back 50 years! Haven't read Cosmo in ages, they actually used to have great articles. Now I guess women are just petrie dishes! { (sp) on petrie not a biology major.}

I love you guys...It's great to have such a great forum to talk. I mean..we are all over the place and it's awesome.
Ok..I skimmed this work along with a few of her others...not much help to me. Not much I could use to grow and thrive from and nothing that helped me in my marriage...(30 years last Dec.)
Recently though I got a new set of books that are really amazing as to building relationships. It's a model that not only works, is not fake but adds to my life in every relationship. While I am on the tip of all his books...so far so good. In my opinion, much better than anything Dr. Laura wrote. They are by a PHD out of Washington State named John Gottman. I found them at Barns. My marriage has had the gamit..you name it ..it's happened and then some. While this is great from a gee...I have experience that will let me have understanding for lots of things..not really what I thought I was signing up for in the beginning. Now..hey to find books that help after 30 years of trying A LOT OF THINGS...I am stoked. maggie