The postman just delivered my first Mulberry--but i need opinions!

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. Hello, ladies! This is my first post in this forum, but I've been longing for an Oak printed Bayswater for a good year or so. I finally took the plunge last week, and it arrived this morning--it's lovely, but I have some hesitations as to whether it's the one for me. Firstly--and this is something I was prepared for, since I live in Australia and had to purchase online from NAP--I had really been hoping for a bag with the smaller print at one side rather than in the middle. I know it might sound silly but I just prefer the way the bag looks like this--it seems somehow more elegant. I did check with NAP and they assured me that the print was just as it appears on their website picture... but I'm sure I can learn to live with this, as the bag is still beautiful, just not exactly what I was expecting.

What bothers me is that there's a small but very noticeable gouge mark on the back of the bag. There are also little spots that look like watermarks on one side and the handles, although these don't really bother me--I'm just not sure if they're really watermarks or a characteristic of the weather. I've been wanting a printed Bayswater for so long, I'm reluctant to send it back, but then again, I'm wondering if I should either return it for a plain oak, or just get a refund and wait for another one to crop up on NAP or the Mulberry website... I don't think there's any guarantee I'll get one with the print exactly how I want it, though, even if I do that... And since I've paid customs duties, I'm not even sure if I can get the money for those back from the Australian government, so returning it could be a hassle and put me at a bit of a loss.

I thought I'd post some pictures and see what you ladies thought, since you have more expertise than I do! I plan to baby it to a degree, but I certainly won't mind if a few flaws pop up with normal use since I love the vintage look I've seen on other well loved printed Bayswaters before. I'm just concerned about the bag arriving with a flaw, given that I paid so much for it. I was wondering what you ladies would do?

2. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I admit it looks really mild here--it's worse IRL but then it IS on the back of the bag. Am I overreacting?

3. A better picture of the flaw:
    [​IMG]

And the bag:
    [​IMG]

4. Congrats on your bag; it's beautiful. No, you are not overreacting. These bags are too expensive not to be up to par;I would not be happy with this at all.

5. I would feel the same. If you have been longing for this bag so long and you finally get it, it should be perfect. This flaw would forever bother me...
    I love the print though! Apart from the flaw, it's stunning!

6. Oh my, not acceptable!

Sorry to have to manage returns etc all the way from Oz, but you don't want a bag that's not 100 % as it should be.

Good luck!

7. I would definetly contact NAP, perhaps send them your photos and explain - that mark is not acceptable! Though it will blend in over time as the Patina develops, so maybe push for a partial refund if you don't want to part from the bag?

8. ^^ That's what I'm thinking, charliefarlie. I could live with the mark and keep the bag happily, but not having paid full price for it. I've seen bags with less damage being sold as seconds before! I'd be willing to keep it with a partial refund, or else I suppose I'll have to return it and keep my eye out for another. I've sent NAP an e-mail with pictures attached, so hopefully they get back to me quickly. Thanks for reassuring me a little, ladies--I was worried I was really overreacting. I know it's just a little mark, but a Mulberry bag is a big splurge for me at the moment since I'm still at uni!

Flaws aside, I'm impressed at how polished I feel with a Bayswater on my arm even while I'm at home in my daggy study day clothes!

9. I agree with the girls that to pay full whack for a flawed bag is unacceptable. This should have been at the outlet for 30% off. Good luck with NAP.

10. I agree. Send pictures to NAP.

11. Beautiful bag, but the mark at the bag is not good at all. I agree - send them pictures and see what they can do.

12. I love the bag, but can understand how you feel about the flaw. Has the surface of the leather actually been broken? If you decide to keep it, Woly do a shoe cream called 'cognac', which would blend the flaw in for you.

13. Oh no! That shouldn't be on a brand new bag. Even the outlets would probably sell this at more than 30% discount. Apart from the mark, it is a beautiful bag so if you don't want to send it back and can live with the flaw, I agree that a partial refund is needed. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

14. I would contact NAP asap, send them pics and demand a full refund. At full price the bag should have no flaws. I also think you are right about the print, the smaller print looks better on the outside with the congo type print in the middle. I have seen an oak pvt bag irl with that type of markings and it looked stunning! Good luck.

15. I think, the mark is all right, something that is not totally horrible, and a good cause for asking for a partial refund, at least 10% of the total you paid, if not more. You may be in luck and get a bargain.