The Poor Man Buys Twice - When Less is More

I love that you brought up this point, Anna Bella! The title of the thread is great, too. I completely agree with this approach, and while cheap thrills are fun in the short-term, a beautiful, stream-lined wardrobe is much more valuable in the end, I think. I've been trying to whittle down all my collections- perfume, clothing, bags, shoes...and I'm loving it! Growing up in Europe, I think more people have this mindset, and I was surprised at the amount of consumption in the US. Things are less expensive here, though, and I think it's easier to buybuybuy without the thought that goes into more costly purchases.

Love this thread!!
When I am a dentist I can make lists with Hermes on but while I am a dental student then this will have to do...

~ Black patent CL ~ Very Prive
~ White Chanel Reissue ~ Haven't decided what size!
~ Black Dior Cannage flats
~ Dior bow ring

And when I hope to get them:

Chanel ~ October when I go to London
Dior ring ~ This month depending on exam results!
Dior flats ~ By December

CL~ Actually I don't know when I will be getting these. Whole point of this thread proven... Maybe I dont want them, as I have no idea when I want them! xx

i always went for the best fit and quality /materials) i could afford at any given time. my princple always was and always will be a black turtleneck (enter other classics)made from the best material with a perfect fit albeit an unknown brand will always look better then a black nylon one from the hippest designer.

unfortunately the parole less is more still does not apply to me as i constantly tend to buy a lot

I have a good friend who, when shopping always says "The Poor Man Buys Twice". In his wisdom, he believes that when we don't buy the items of our dreams in the first place, we end up buying over and over again and end up spending more money than we would have if we bought the thing we really wanted.

I seem to always be making shopping lists of all the things I want, without really thinking about the one item I really want that would surpass all else and satiate my appetite with perfection. Perhaps not forever, but for about a decade, rather than just a few months.

I have an immense walk in robe, and yet I yearn for a streamlined well-edited collection of a handful of pieces that are just right and always make me feel like a million dollars!

It reminds me of an interview with Valentino where he said that his mother taught him that it was better to only buy four pieces each year that are perfection than to buy 20 and have a lot of rubbish.

With that preamble in mind, I have decided to take up the challenge! It is going to be difficult but worth it a million times over. It is incredibly liberating to make a list of those items which would really really hit the spot, and forget about everything else. Perfection requires discipline above all else.

Who wants to join me? I'd love to hear your lists!

My Style

The Bag:
Hermes Crocodile Kelly in Poudre 32cm

The Watch:
Gold Cartier Lanieres Tank in Rose Gold with Burgundy Silk Strap

The Shoe:
Manolo Blahnik Carolyn in Beige

The Outfit:
Camel Suit with Fur Collar

The Jewel:
Earclips with detachable chandeliers that double as brooches and clip onto a gold cuff bracelet, design inspired by Asprey

My Luggage:
Alize 24 Heures Overnight Bag and Briefcase

Check on my attached montage for a visual taster, hope you enjoy! (Thanks goes out to all the websites for sources)

Wish me luck on my mission!

that's a beautiful watch anna bella, how much is it may i ask, and is it still available at the cartier stores?

i always went for the best fit and quality /materials) i could afford at any given time. my princple always was and always will be a black turtleneck (enter other classics)made from the best material with a perfect fit albeit an unknown brand will always look better then a black nylon one from the hippest designer.

unfortunately the parole less is more still does not apply to me as i constantly tend to buy a lot

Great point. I also think many clothing items do look dated, unless you're going for a vintage look - like a Pucci dress - it just doesn't work. The brand isn't evertything. Its the material, the cut, the fit, and whether you tailor it so its just perfect.

i agree with this... i always think about exactly what i want, and then i look around and try to find the best deal on it. i do it with everything--electronics, clothes, etc. but somehow i still end up spending a lot!

My reality is that my taste changes constantly and I really enjoy shopping! So I admire your discipline on getting what you really want. Unfortunately for me I get what I really want and then end up really wanting something else LOL.

That is a great saying. I've thought about this before as well but could never quite articulate it as well. I don't think its necessarily true for me though. I bought a birkin thinking that I could stop there, but four birkins later I'm still looking for more. If I did buy a croc birkin (and I am looking for the perfect one since its my grail bag), I think after that, and very shortly after might I add, I'd just be wanting another croc birkin. Something about variety without sacrificing quality. Good luck! I hope you have more luck than I did!

Yes, it seems the flaw in my plan is that there is nothing like the thrill of the new! Still, it is nice to have a goal - "less is more" being one's main consolation when trying to downsize the wishlist!

I am starting to think that it goes hand in hand with appreciating what you have rather than dwelling on what you don't!

Thank you all for your fabulous replies xoxoxox

Reactions: LaBoheme
^ITA.
I've noticed that from the plethora of my clothes and accessories only a few are true winners. I have 5 pairs of jeans (I used to have 12) and only one is my absolute favorite. I will wear it day and night, summer or winter and is so interesting, and fits me so well I can't compare it with anything else. I really think it was one of my best buys. However this pair of jeans are not my most exp.

I agree w/ this concept. I used to buy things just because they were on sale. Once I got out of that mind set and starting buying things that I loved I spend less money and am happier w/ my wardrobe. I still have a lot of work to do but I'm moving in the right direction.

I love this thread! I agree, less is more. However for me and probably most people here, Chanel and Hermes is a little bit out of reach. I still want the quality but let's just say for sake of argument, Banana Republic rather than Old Navy. There's a pricey boutique where I live with lesser known labels - the clothes are classic yet modern. I was eyeing a black blazer for $250....with that same amount I could buy a lot at H&M but why fill my closet with miscellaneous things that I'm going to get rid of in a few months? Instead I can buy that one $250 jacket and get many years of wear (hopefully at least 10 good years). I'm trying to get in this mindset because I tend to waste so much money each year on trendy clothes....I'm tired of it.

Theoretically, I agree with you. That;'s the difference between so-called european and so-called american style of wardrobe, aka intensive and extensive use of clothes. Practically, you became really boring with your perfect but limited choice of clothes and shoes, because 4 or even 6 items in year isn't enough for all social occasions. You can't go to picnic with Birkin, you don't go to the night club in suite with fur collar, you are overdressed while playing tennis or golf in suburbs with diamond chandelier earrings, etc. Better wardrobe is mix between highs and lows, sometimes you want to wear something fun, sometime - something serious, sometime something indestructible. Life is different, so wardrobe should be different too.

Reactions: LaBoheme
Anna Bella, All those wonderful peices you chose remind me of something a Hitchcock Blonde would be wearing. You picked such classic items! Even if you can't afford them, you have an impecable taste that can't be bought. Lucky You! :P

Wow! Love this thread, Anna Bella. I am just going through this exercise as I start my wardrobe spring cleaning. I have a ton of stuff, but still find myself standing in front of my closet whining, "I don't have anything to wear!" It's ridiculous. For me, it's not about buying only designer pieces, but more about only buying things that I absolutely love and that integrate seamlessly into my wardrobe, style and life. It's not going to be easy, and I agree with the poster upthread who brought up the discipline required to make this work. Good luck to all of us!

That's me! And I've been doing pretty good about not purchasing things I don't need for about the last year. It really is all about discipline :yes: