The Poor Man Buys Twice - When Less is More

Something very smart I read is to only buy ONE item each time you go shopping. I have this crazy slightly obsessive tendancy I buying one in every colour ... instead of focusing on slowly collecting great pieces.

I guess it equates to buying three Coach bags when what you really wanted was a LV, or five LV when what you really wanted was an Hermes ....

Luxury doesn't necessarily mean the most expensive either ... just the exact thing that you really want, rather than some cheap substitute!

I have been cleaning cleaning cleaning out my closet. I am planning to sell my stuff on eBay to fund my new acquisitions. I had a girl come around today to pick up a box of stuff for her to sell for me on eBay as a trading assistant, if I left it to myself it wouldn't get done! Too hard to part with those things, but I'm happy enough to give them to her and receive a cheque for a few hundred dollars. There were about 35 items in there, each of which I paid between $100-$200 for, so not incredibly expensive, but that's about $5000 worth of stuff! Would be happy to get $500 to go towards my new mission ... I also have put together all the shoes in my wardrobe that I love but never wear or have never worn: YSL, Tods, Miu Miu, Charles Jourdan, Bruno Magli etc etc ... all wouild have been made redundant by the Carolyne Slingback.

So I have a plan! The next stage is to organise my wardrobe into A list and B list. I am going to categorise it this way, put the B list stuff away and see if I miss any of it. I'll keep the things I miss and then after 12 months ditch the rest on eBay, again to a faithful power seller. I just had a major Prada shopping spree and it was all Beige ... which is good I guess because as you can see from my image Beige is my new theme colour but NO MORE SHOPPING SPREES

Have sent FOUR garbage bags full to the local charity shop of all the non high end designer stuff. They looked at me like I was crazy.

I am in pursuit of outfits that make me feel really good, not things that are in actual fact "good" but effect my mood and make me feel super confident.

Need to keep focused!

Reactions: LaBoheme
i don't have enough discipline to pair it down that much but as i've gotten older i think you're absolutely right. the $40 white top that fits perfectly has served me so much better than the $5 target ones that don't.

That's a great idea, which I've been aspiring towards with my bags and accessories but not clothing so much. Here are mine so far:

1) Chanel suit.
2) The Birkin and Chanel Jumbo Classic flap
3) a few pairs of Manolos and I really want silver Christian Louboutins
4) Burberry trench
5) more Hermes scarves (in equestrian prints)
6) Chanel ballerina flats

Luxury doesn't necessarily mean the most expensive either ... just the exact thing that you really want, rather than some cheap substitute!

I totally agree with this statement. You couldn't have said it better! Not necessarily the $$$ price tag, but rather, the value you will get out of the item, and if it will really "fit" into your wardrobe and the image you want to project, and your lifestyle. As I've said, too often I end up buying substitutes to replace the item I dind't buy....and the purchases add up eventually!

This is something I just started to follow. After years and years of chucking unworn things out of my closet, I recently started to pay close attention to everything I buy. So here's my list:
Roger Vivier flats
Chanel JUmbo Classic Flap in Black and Beige
Hermès Croc Kelly in Chocolate with GHW
Chanel Tweed Jacket
Burberry Short Trench
Diamond Studs
Cartier Santos Demoiselle
Tennis bracelet
I'll be able to cross 3 things of this list this year, but the Croc Kelly will have to wait some years...

I love the statement that "perfection requires discipline." SO true. I've recently changed my mindset too ... now I pass on the "so-so" things that I don't need and save for the things that make me go wow everytime I see them. Plus it makes you feel that much more amazing when you put on something you absolutely adore, granted, that item doesn't necessarily have to be super expensive - just the thing you've been lusting after for ages.

I'm really bad when it comes to buying a huge amount of things at one time. Especially on the clearance rack because heck...it's 75% off! Even if it isn't exactly what I want.

However...I am starting to have a little more discpline and not just looking at the clearance rack at Macy's. :smile: If I see something that I think would be a classic item in my wardrobe and it isn't on sale I will at least try it on now...before if it wasn't on sale I wouldn't even look twice. And if it fits perfectly and makes me feel great I might just buy it now.

So instead of buying ten things I might just get one or two really nice things. Watching What Not To Wear helped too. :smile:

And cleaning out the closet is a very liberating feeling!

I've stopped doing this whole thing of buying the same low quality crap again and again. I would rather use the money to buy ONE good quality item that will last a long time.

I tend to agree with that concept. Lately I want to buy more expensive things but not as many things. I recall reading in a magazine once that women in France tend to have fewer clothing but they are better quality. I don't know if that's true but it's not a bad idea. I have a ton of stuff I never use. Tons of shoes I never wear. I'm getting to where I'd rather have one pair of shoes I want to wear all the time than ten pairs that I wear every so often.

I guess you just have to know what you want first, then figuring out how to get it is easier ...

I like your Hermes selections! Tough choice ...

Those studs will set you back a bit under $25K ... ( http://www.bluenile.com/ ) but the bag comes in at the bargain price of around $8K ...

Therefore they can be yours in around three years for about $250 a week ...

Hope that's inspiring!

And Chanel shoes are always tempting ... the beige and black two tone shoes, either in ballet or slingback or pump seem to go with everything. It's hard to pick the ONE item that really hits the spot ... but fun to try!

I agree. The Birkin is next for me. I am on the wait list. Actually, it's more like the wait list to be on the wait list :lol:

Yes. The studs will be a toughie, but I can wait.

Funny you brought up the Chanel ballet flats. I got the beige/black ones. Not sure if I should also get the black/black ones as well. Looking for a great pair of black Chanel pumps at the moment though....I am on a mission :yahoo:

Great concept..here are a few things on my list:
-chanel classic flap
-black togo 35 cm birkin with palladium
-burberry trench
-this tag heuer watch i am in love with..forget what it's called though

quality over quantity!

I totally agree with your philosophy.. although it might take me sometime to actually bring it into my life! I think I'd mostly select accessories instead of clothing, here's my list so you all can get an idea:

1. Hermes black croc (porosus preferably) 35 Birkin
2. Hermes Massai in a nude, bone colour
3. Hermes H-our watch with black croc strap
4. Diamond studs (a nice carat size)
5. Chanel black ballerina flats
6. Chanel eyeglasses
7. Chanel checkbook wallet

I'm soon getting item #7.. just thinking it over because it'll cost me the same as getting Lasik! And yes, Hermes and Chanel are my fave brands hehe.