RIP HM The Queen - Elizabeth II 1926-2022

Official celebrations to mark the Sovereigns' birthday have often been held on a day other than the actual birthday, particularly when the actual birthday has not been in the summer. King Edward VII, for example, was born on 9 November, but his official birthday was marked throughout his reign in May or June when there was a greater likelihood of good weather for the Birthday Parade, also known as Trooping the Colour.

The Queen usually spends her actual birthday privately, but the occasion is marked publicly by gun salutes in central London at midday: a 41 gun salute in Hyde Park, a 21 gun salute in Windsor Great Park and a 62 gun salute at the Tower of London. In 2006, Her Majesty celebrated her 80th Birthday in 2006 with a walkabout in the streets outside of Windsor Castle to meet well-wishers.

Official celebrations to mark the Sovereigns' birthday have often been held on a day other than the actual birthday, particularly when the actual birthday has not been in the summer. King Edward VII, for example, was born on 9 November, but his official birthday was marked throughout his reign in May or June when there was a greater likelihood of good weather for the Birthday Parade, also known as Trooping the Colour.

I have thought of that explanation as well. :smile:
I know the example of the birthdays.
But have not read it yet as an official reason for the date of the thrown jubilee.

Thanks for the thought! :smile:

Queen Elizatbeth II became Queen on the 6th of February 1952.

Why is that not celebrated in February 2022?
Why in June 2022?

Does anybody know?

I think it has to do with the weather being better in June. Also, Trooping the Colour is in June. Plus, it provides space between the anniversary of the death of her beloved father and a truly joyous celebration.

Reactions: CarryOn2020
Yes, OK.
But why in June and not in February?
Maybe because the weather is better in June?

She does not like to celebrate the sad event of the death of her beloved father - she keeps her Christmas decorations up until after the anniversary of his death and spends the day in quiet solitude and remembrance then takes down her personal Christmas decorations full of memories of her childhood - father mother and sister all now deceased and this year her dead husband too - sadly due to covid she again had to spend Christmas at Windsor not Sandringham as she traditionally does - I fear with Harry Meghan and Andrew she needs all the peace and quiet she can get

She does not like to celebrate the sad event of the death of her beloved father - she keeps her Christmas decorations up until after the anniversary of his death and spends the day in quiet solitude and remembrance then takes down her personal Christmas decorations full of memories of her childhood - father mother and sister all now deceased and this year her dead husband too - sadly due to covid she again had to spend Christmas at Windsor not Sandringham as she traditionally does - I fear with Harry Meghan and Andrew she needs all the peace and quiet she can get

i was unaware that she kept her Christmas decorations up. Thank you for sharing this.

Last edited:
Reactions: elvisfan4life