The "perfect" bbag: what does that mean to you

lordguinny

O.G.
May 16, 2006
IMG_3034.JPG So back in the day bbag lovers were obsessed with two things when hunting the "perfect" bag. 1) Color of a certain season and 2) the leather quality.

Regarding the leather quality, some of us absolutely needed the leather to be sumptuous, "smooshy", lots of texture, etc. Some like it absolutely smooth, no veins, etc. Some would only buy chevron, others only agneau. We would drool over Nicole Richie black city, and how wonderfully slouchy and awesome the leather was. Regardless of type you preferred, you wouldn't buy a bag unless it had THE leather you want. I remember multiple bbags of the same color so I could choose between the leathers.

Less and less I am seeing the leather type mentioned here in the bbag threads. So that leads me to my question: what perimeters do you use more in choosing your perfect bbag?

For me, it's still the color and the leather needs to be extra smooshy and textured. Attached is an example of my " perfect" type of leather for a bbag.

Last edited:
As oldie collector I am, color must be rich and saturated and love chèvre in all its variants as well as their nappa leather. Fav leathers and colors from 01 to 04.
Aalinne, do you feel as though there is less interest/choosy- ness now regarding leather selection? Even now as I search for old seasons there seems to less of them on the resale market, and I haven't been as impressed with the newer selections.

For me, color and soft/smooshy leather are very important. The leather doesn't need to be particularly textured, just soft and chewy. I'm pretty new to Balenciaga but do have a couple of chevre bags and can definitely tell that the quality of the leather is sooo much nicer than the agneau bags. With that said, I have a Lagon Day and Bleu Lavande City that have really yummy agneau leather.

Reactions: Mamahailee
Very interesting question :smile:
Nine years ago, when my love affaire for Balenciaga Motorcycle bags began even me was not to much interested in leather quality or color saturation as I never had the chance of owning an oldie, but, once I got my very first one I felt in luv, sold all my other newest and till now.
Best oldies are currently in private collections and with new agneau leathers there are no posible comparison. Maybe all the new leathers are the same and there is nothing to chose from?. They all wear now kind of varnish coat finish in order to avoid fadding that imo gives a plastic look to the bag, for not talk about the poor quality agneau leathers they're using everytime.
Imo, best agneau quality leathers finished mainly in 2008 S/S Pre-Collection, lol.
On the other side I totally love their new grained chèvre leathers, from Hamilton to the latest ones, I think they're their latest big goals!.
I absolutely love all kind of old chèvre leathers from 01 to 04, their rich color saturation, their everything! :flowers::heart:

Last edited:
my favorite is my z-series. i prefer the older very soft/supple leather that just seems to melt when you touch it. i look for a bright color and an older bag. i have bought newer ones but prefer the pre-2008 stuff and stick to pre-loved now b/c of such huge resale losses

Reactions: squidgee
I think of this long ago, sold bag, as the perfect old soul Bal.. I think it is a S/S 05. I hope whoever has it still loves it. Happily I've saved a photo. I remind myself of it, at times when I'm unsure about selling an oldie.

Ooops sorry, the photo didn't upload. I'll try to find a better file. ;(

Last edited:
The leather on my black 2009 Twiggy is so very beautiful, this is my favorite bag by far !! I purchased it brand new a couple of weeks ago, to use as a "beater bag" since I only paid $300 for it. Who was I kidding, I treat it like a precious museum artifact :giggle: !! I was extremely skeptical of agneau due to it's supposed fragility however the leather on this bag seems a lot tougher than it appears !!

The leather on my black 2009 Twiggy is so very beautiful, this is my favorite bag by far !! I purchased it brand new a couple of weeks ago, to use as a "beater bag" since I only paid $300 for it. Who was I kidding, I treat it like a precious museum artifact :giggle: !! I was extremely skeptical of agneau due to it's supposed fragility however the leather on this bag seems a lot tougher than it appears !!
There are agneau bags that are easily as beautiful as chevre. Early years again though, at least from what I own!

Must be a combo of both for me, i prefer 07 or earlier years smooth chevre, but i understand that i can't be too picky and my Tomato 07 is quite veiny and not as smooth as i would love it to be, but i love the colour and the leather is in good condition, so i am ok with veins and texture :smile: i have a few lambskin bags, but i like them all, they don't feel plastic-y and are the colours i wouldn't find in earlier years. My only one bag from the recent years is new chevre, and she's going to be my only one further on, as i don't like the feel of newer bags.

Look at that leather:heart::heart::heart:..Is it black or navy? The leather looks amazingly like my 08 marine courier and day bags.
Hey, there you are! :flowers: I love 08 Marine. Such a gorgeous color. This old lady is a super deep black that photographed almost blue. One of the ways I spot the old black Bals in pics, is that intense black.