The perfect bal for a 16 year old..

Aug 11, 2008
If I (I'm 16, 11th grade) was getting my first bal.. lets say, in april... what would be an appropriate style/color/hardware choice? :smile:
I've worked really hard for my 'bag funds' and I'll be going to NYC April 28th to May 2nd. Bal in canada is very limited and $$$.. so im contemplating getting one in the US.
Currently I'm obsessed with LV/gucci.. i have a lot and i want to branch out. I wear a lot of dark colors (hardly anything light/pastelly unless its cream or grey or white.) I also wear a lot of blue, red, and yellow. :smile: I'm also 5'2.

I'm not too *sure* if I will be getting a bal... but there are SO many styles from this season that I want. :biggrin: I just thought it'd be nice to ask you ladies for help, since you're all like... bal geniuses. :nuts: I'm contemplating between bal and chanel since they are much less expensive in the US. :smile: but chanel is tempting too! help. :sad: (try and focus on colours/hardware combos in this season/last... which would be more accessible.)

I'm your size, and I would recommend a Day with GH.

It's been almost two decades, but from what I remember of high school, the Day would be very functional for you. It has plenty of room for your wallet, phones, make-up, etc. - and, as a shoulder bag, it will be more practical for you to carry to and from school. Even if you are wearing a backpack or a messenger for your books and supplies, a Day would be easy to carry.

A City or PT might be too much hassle for your active lifestyle. Plus, the shoulder strap on those bags doesn't "grab" like the braided strap on a Day. Especially if you will wear in colder months with a coat, sometimes those bags can slide off of your shoulder if you arms are busy.

For you, I would take GH over RH. I slightly favor the look of RH, but I would imagine that you might have difficulty keeping the tassles out of harm's way. Plus, GH has an edgier look that might appeal to you.

Good luck finding the bag that's right for you!!!

Oh, yeah - forgot about colors!

I think that Anthra with SGH would be a fantastic choice! Anthra goes with everything, and it looks nice and steel-y against SGH.

I LOVE my Day. Actually it's the most useful model in my opinion.
I also travel with mine a lot and it holds a lot!
(Nonetheless I have a soft spot for Cities and own some of them- even if they are less easy to carry... )

Anthra really goes with everything. Very classy colour.
If you want something lighter then I would advise you Sahara - every Sahara-Bag I have seen had great leather :heart:

Gooood luck!

I think you might like a Pom Pon, you can wear it crossbody so you can be hands free at school. As far as colors, you won't know what's available until you get there. If you prefer blues, greens, reds, etc. you can tell the SA and she/he can bring out what's available. There are lots of pictures in the Reference threads for more ideas. Good Luck!

Last edited:
Ok, I don't mean to be rude, but I personally feel that a 16 year old has no business with a Bal. Not to say that the op has not worked hard for the bag funds, but it does not sit well with me to see a 16 year old with a designer piece. I feel the same way when I see a young starlet like this kind of bag. I also feel this applies to designer shoes, clothes, etc.

However, a day would be appropriate, to answer the original question. However, I would consider a lower end bag to be a better workhorse bag for someone that age.

a city is the best style for ur age :smile: but im afraid..once you start with bal, you wont return to ur other bags :smile:
do you want to have a neutral bag that goes with ur dark/neutral clothes or something pop out of ur closet? bal has variety of colors and different shades in each color so while it's easy to choose, yet, still hard to make decision, lol
im a pink lover so i vote for bright pink (amethyst or sorbet) or sahara for a nice pop neutral
as for hw....go for RH, that's my fav!

Ok, I don't mean to be rude, but I personally feel that a 16 year old has no business with a Bal. Not to say that the op has not worked hard for the bag funds, but it does not sit well with me to see a 16 year old with a designer piece. I feel the same way when I see a young starlet like this kind of bag. I also feel this applies to designer shoes, clothes, etc.

However, a day would be appropriate, to answer the original question. However, I would consider a lower end bag to be a better workhorse bag for someone that age.

I think if the OP has saved enough money from allowance or work or whatnot to buy a balenciaga, then more power to her ... I mean we wouldn't be saying this if she were saving for an ipod or computer, or so what's the diff with a nice designer bag? If it makes you happy, op, and if you aren't cleaning out your bank account then I say go ahead :smile:

anyhow, it's not our business. she asked for opinion on what's the best style to get, not that if she SHOULD buy 1 from her hard-earned money or her parents' cash! really not our business, IMO

hi! thanks for your opinion, but i do work hard for my bag funds, and i do get good grades so it's not like im working away 24/7 to get bags, they aren't a priority but they are more to me then lets say, the latest mac computer or whatever. i'm not looking for a 'work horse' bag since i already have a 'work horse'... i'm looking for a bag i can take out with me when i'm NOT at school (shopping, with my family, friends, etc) :biggrin: i don't think im going to be 'robbed' or 'mugged' carrying around a designer bag because i'm hardly ever in those situations (probably never).

i think this is gonna be my only bal for a while... so i really want it perfect. :P