The One That Got Away - The Pre-Owned Holy Grail

*Jenn*

sofa king addicted.
O.G.
Nov 13, 2007
I first discovered purses when I moved to my dad's house right after high school to attend college. I moved from a small backwoods town to a large city with shopping malls and luxury items galore. I literally moved from a town where the closet "mall" was 30 minutes away, where the nicest store was a Macy's, to a city where there is a four-story luxury mall 5 minutes away, where one of the lower-end stores was Nordstrom Rack and the food court. This mall had all of the wonderful things I never knew I wanted - Coach, Burberry, Tiffany & Co, Louis Vuitton. Being a teenager with a minimum wage budget and this being my first taste into luxury items, I of course was drawn towards the "cheaper" option - Coach. At that time, though I loved the items, the thought of spending "like, two hundred dollars" on a purse seemed absurd to me. So I decided that I was going to find one on eBay, to save some money, and still get something that I really liked. (That, and beg my dad to get me one for Christmas, haha!) So I found a few I liked, but was concerned about authenticity, so I started researching. And that is when I stumbled upon this wonderful place.

Louis Vuitton is something that most women consider at some point in their lives - whether it is a fleeting "oh, that would be nice.....but too expensive for me", or a full-blown obsession. I consider myself firmly planted in the middles. My wishlist has waxed and waned more than I would like to admit over the years - Balenciaga, Chanel, Dooney & Bourke, Coach, Louis Vuitton, Michael Kors, Marc Jacobs.....you name it, I have at one point considered it. My LV wishlist specifically has been anywhere between absurdly long, to virtually empty, depending on my finances and my mood. There were times, in the beginning of all of this, where my wishlist contained pretty much anything I saw and liked, even if it was for a split-second. But I found that with any brand, I attached myself to a specific bag, and then would go from there and research what colors / styles were available in that shape specifically. For LV, that was the Speedy, of course. A classic. I never really liked any of the other styles, but have gone back and forth with wanting a Neverfull as well. As of right now, the Neverfull MM is on my mind - Classic Monogram with Cherry Interior. But before that, a few Speedys. I'm not sure whether this is good or bad, but I seem to gravitate towards the limited edition pieces. My #1 LV lust is the Silver Dentelle Speedy. I was recently sitting at home, scrolling through facebook, when my favorite consignment shop posted this photo:

17103419_390341278006019_8466334902377134094_n.jpg

I shot up off of the couch. I messaged them - "Price?? Condition??" they messaged back - "$399, price is reflective of the piece being limited edition, and condition." I raced to the store (40 minutes away), the whole time my mind was racing. I knew that this piece retailed for approximately $1400......now it's marked down to $400? So the condition must be pretty bad.....still, I had to see for myself. I took a few purses to consign, so I would not feel it was a wasted trip. I walked through the door, and he said "oh, Jennifer! The Louis Vuitton you were asking about is right over here!" I thought to myself, "well ****, you know it's bad when the shop owner recognizes you..." lol. He took my pieces in the back to evaluate them, while I took care to look over the purse. This was my first time seeing one in person - all of my lust and knowledge of this purse has been via the internet, and the purse forum. I honestly did not even know if I would truly like it once I saw it in person. Boy, was I wrong there. It was amazing, wonderful, perfect. If only it had been in better condition. I ran my fingers over the embroidery - it was so delicate and girly, it played off of the harsher bold, brown monogram background so well - like ying and yang swirled together. I firmly cemented the fact that I NEED this purse. But I need one in better condition, or else I would regret the purchase and never want to carry it. The handles were far too dark, the canvas was peeled up in several spots along the top ridge of the bag, and the pull tabs were darkened and turning up. And a lock with no keys. This specific bag was too flawed for my love - but the bag in theory, was perfect. So the search is still on.

Here are photos I took of the actual bag: :-s

image1 (1).JPG
image2 (1).JPG image3 (1).JPG image4 (1).JPG

I first discovered purses when I moved to my dad's house right after high school to attend college. I moved from a small backwoods town to a large city with shopping malls and luxury items galore. I literally moved from a town where the closet "mall" was 30 minutes away, where the nicest store was a Macy's, to a city where there is a four-story luxury mall 5 minutes away, where one of the lower-end stores was Nordstrom Rack and the food court. This mall had all of the wonderful things I never knew I wanted - Coach, Burberry, Tiffany & Co, Louis Vuitton. Being a teenager with a minimum wage budget and this being my first taste into luxury items, I of course was drawn towards the "cheaper" option - Coach. At that time, though I loved the items, the thought of spending "like, two hundred dollars" on a purse seemed absurd to me. So I decided that I was going to find one on eBay, to save some money, and still get something that I really liked. (That, and beg my dad to get me one for Christmas, haha!) So I found a few I liked, but was concerned about authenticity, so I started researching. And that is when I stumbled upon this wonderful place.

Louis Vuitton is something that most women consider at some point in their lives - whether it is a fleeting "oh, that would be nice.....but too expensive for me", or a full-blown obsession. I consider myself firmly planted in the middles. My wishlist has waxed and waned more than I would like to admit over the years - Balenciaga, Chanel, Dooney & Bourke, Coach, Louis Vuitton, Michael Kors, Marc Jacobs.....you name it, I have at one point considered it. My LV wishlist specifically has been anywhere between absurdly long, to virtually empty, depending on my finances and my mood. There were times, in the beginning of all of this, where my wishlist contained pretty much anything I saw and liked, even if it was for a split-second. But I found that with any brand, I attached myself to a specific bag, and then would go from there and research what colors / styles were available in that shape specifically. For LV, that was the Speedy, of course. A classic. I never really liked any of the other styles, but have gone back and forth with wanting a Neverfull as well. As of right now, the Neverfull MM is on my mind - Classic Monogram with Cherry Interior. But before that, a few Speedys. I'm not sure whether this is good or bad, but I seem to gravitate towards the limited edition pieces. My #1 LV lust is the Silver Dentelle Speedy. I was recently sitting at home, scrolling through facebook, when my favorite consignment shop posted this photo:

View attachment 3623126

I shot up off of the couch. I messaged them - "Price?? Condition??" they messaged back - "$399, price is reflective of the piece being limited edition, and condition." I raced to the store (40 minutes away), the whole time my mind was racing. I knew that this piece retailed for approximately $1400......now it's marked down to $400? So the condition must be pretty bad.....still, I had to see for myself. I took a few purses to consign, so I would not feel it was a wasted trip. I walked through the door, and he said "oh, Jennifer! The Louis Vuitton you were asking about is right over here!" I thought to myself, "well ****, you know it's bad when the shop owner recognizes you..." lol. He took my pieces in the back to evaluate them, while I took care to look over the purse. This was my first time seeing one in person - all of my lust and knowledge of this purse has been via the internet, and the purse forum. I honestly did not even know if I would truly like it once I saw it in person. Boy, was I wrong there. It was amazing, wonderful, perfect. If only it had been in better condition. I ran my fingers over the embroidery - it was so delicate and girly, it played off of the harsher bold, brown monogram background so well - like ying and yang swirled together. I firmly cemented the fact that I NEED this purse. But I need one in better condition, or else I would regret the purchase and never want to carry it. The handles were far too dark, the canvas was peeled up in several spots along the top ridge of the bag, and the pull tabs were darkened and turning up. And a lock with no keys. This specific bag was too flawed for my love - but the bag in theory, was perfect. So the search is still on.

View attachment 3623135
View attachment 3623136 View attachment 3623137 View attachment 3623138
That bag was in dreadful condition- glad you passed on it.

Glad you let that bag get away--and thank goodness you were able to thoroughly check its condition. Crazy how some people think that just because it's LV they can charge a crazy amount for a bag in that awful condition:annoyed:. Hope you find one in better condition and continue to save up for THE one:smile:.

When you consider a bag your "Grail" it will be a truly treasured and important piece in your collection. Wait for the right one in a condition that you can use it and enjoy it for many years to come. So relived you passed on this particular bag. The right one will come along.

View attachment 3623126

View attachment 3623135
View attachment 3623136 View attachment 3623137 View attachment 3623138
Thank you so much for sharing your story. While reading your post I saw so much of myself in your story and saw many similarties between your journey and my journey into hand bags. Such good memories:smile: I too love that bag and have always only admired it online. I'm so happy that you got to see one in person, but so sorry to hear it was in such disappointing condition. At least now you know that this is a bag you really do want to add to your collection. Good luck with your search and let us know when you find it.

I am the same way about the Cabas Mezzo. I finally found one pre-loved after 20+ years of searching. I bought it because it was in great condition. Turns out it was the "newer" version that did not have the zipper on the inner pocket. So I kept looking for the "older" one with the zipper on the inner pocket and finally found it pre-loved this past Christmas 2016. I bought it, sold the other Cabas, and it has been the best thing. Good luck on your search. You will find it!!

That bag was in dreadful condition- glad you passed on it.
yes! looking at the shop photo now I can see the flaws, but in the moment I was far too excited to see them, haha. glad I was able to see it for myself.

I can't believe they would charge $400 for cracked canvas. Handles can be replaced but that canvas is ruined.

Good luck finding on one in better condition.
thank you! yes, I was examining it and my mind for a split second wondered if the canvas could be fixed, but that was wishful thinking and I knew so right away, haha!
thank you! :smile:

Wow what animal did that to this poor bag, great story though!! Thanks for including pics!!!
I can't even imagine. even my "cheap" bags - I handle with care and they live in their dustbags.
I knew that I would start second guessing passing on it if I did not have pics to remind myself of the condition!

Glad you let that bag get away--and thank goodness you were able to thoroughly check its condition. Crazy how some people think that just because it's LV they can charge a crazy amount for a bag in that awful condition:annoyed:. Hope you find one in better condition and continue to save up for THE one:smile:.
yes! i'm glad as well. it's crazy that I am sure someone will buy it despite its condition. Thank you!! I am keeping my eye out. It is my holy grail, so if I see one in great condition for a great price I will snatch it up. not actively looking bc I am trying to save money to open my business.

When you consider a bag your "Grail" it will be a truly treasured and important piece in your collection. Wait for the right one in a condition that you can use it and enjoy it for many years to come. So relived you passed on this particular bag. The right one will come along.
oh, for sure! I was telling my husband on my way home from the shop - that this has been a coveted piece for about 10 years now, so I really need one that I can actually enjoy.

Thank you so much for sharing your story. While reading your post I saw so much of myself in your story and saw many similarties between your journey and my journey into hand bags. Such good memories:smile: I too love that bag and have always only admired it online. I'm so happy that you got to see one in person, but so sorry to hear it was in such disappointing condition. At least now you know that this is a bag you really do want to add to your collection. Good luck with your search and let us know when you find it.
:smile: I take that as a compliment that you see yourself in my story! yes, it was a shame, but I am happy that it confirmed my strong desire to own one. I would have hated to have waited and saved for so long, and then finally get one and hate it. :lol: thank you! you know I will definitely post here about it!

I am the same way about the Cabas Mezzo. I finally found one pre-loved after 20+ years of searching. I bought it because it was in great condition. Turns out it was the "newer" version that did not have the zipper on the inner pocket. So I kept looking for the "older" one with the zipper on the inner pocket and finally found it pre-loved this past Christmas 2016. I bought it, sold the other Cabas, and it has been the best thing. Good luck on your search. You will find it!!
ah, that sucks! i'm glad you were able to find your true HG instead of the copycat! lol

I too have been searching for a certain speedy that was a limited edition. I've been searching off and on for 5 years and finally got it just this week. Keep trying it will be worth the wait!

Oh my... poor thing! I love vintage pieces and don't usually mind rehabbing some that are in need of TLC, but that Dentelle is just too far gone. :sad: The kicker is the missing canvas pieces. Handles can be replaced, leather can be cleaned, but nothing can put back those tears/holes. Good choice passing on it! Your HG is out there, just keep an eye out and GL! [emoji4]

Reactions: SweetPandaBear