The old "it's-a-classic vs. right-here-right-now-this-is-who-I–think-I-am" debate.

Margaret Thatcher never carried a tote.
Interesting thought though.
Would you think of a Birkin as a power bag? (status does not = power)

It's my husband I'm talking about. Bags aren't his thing. I think he sees the Ardennes as a more formal bag due to its more fixed shape and the GHW. It's the texture as well I think. For him anyway.

I didn't understand that bit either.

Didn't mean to confuse. See above. :heart:

I am sorry but your DH couldn't be more wrong!

No need to apologise. We all have opinions. I don't agree with him but I do see his point of view and although he's not great with fashion etc his sense of me and my tastes is rarely off the mark. :heart:

The Birkin bag is created for Jane Birkin. Which part of Jane Birkin screams power?

Jane Birkin herself could be lamping over the head with a fully filled Togo Birkin 40 and he wouldn't have a clue who she or the bag was :biggrin::lol::lol::lol:

I would not say the Birkin is really a tote... the Garden Party is a tote. The Birkin is more a weekender, designed for travelling and one of the main points of it being that it can be securely closed.

Instead, nowadays it is carried mainly as a working or every day bag, typically left open. It I obvious to me that it has become a status symbol although it can mean different things to different people and places. Incidentally, Jane Birkin never liked it, finding it heavy and cumbersome.

That said, the Thatcher reference seems to confuse it with the Kelly, which would have been more her style.

These two look both beautiful to me. If you are going to have one go for good condition and the hardware you prefer, gold or silver, I personally love the Fjord.

See my comment above re the Birkin 40. I know that to you or me the Birkin and Kelly are different. To him they're smart black bags :biggrin: with one being a bit shinier than the other. :no:

Sounds like your style is vintage with a twist! For that reason, I think the Fjord would be amazing with the outfits you described. It's got that classic style, and that classic colour, but the iridescent shimmer gives it a gorgeous twist as well.

Thanks very much! I do enjoy that sheen.:love:

The Fjord bag for sure (I have to warn you though - the 35 can get heavy loaded up!). The leather wears so well, developing a velvety patina.

Years ago I had a Bayswater Darwin that I suspect weighed about the same? I took that thing everywhere. I only overfill when I'm travelling so hoping this will work for that. I'll be using little airport trolleys though :yes: :yes: :lol: I am looking for a bag that ages well. I'm not the most delicate lady in town.

I like the Fjord better, but that is personal preference, my bags need to be mainly practical, since I don't wear gold, just doesn't suit me, and dress a lot in black... But that is me, you have to be happy and comfy with it

Thanks! I wear yellow gold jewellery but I don't tend to do a lot of matching. I do wear a lot of black and darker colours. No pastels and pales. I do like that very deep rich Fjord black.

I prefer Fjord to Ardennes. Fjord is natural grain and Ardennes is a so called pressed leather. Fjord will wear better. As park56 said Fjord is heavier. Both will hold their shape well.

Thanks for raising that point. I had similar reservations about Ardennes.

Thanks! :coolio:

Thanks! I wear yellow gold jewellery but I don't tend to do a lot of matching. I do wear a lot of black and darker colours. No pastels and pales. I do like that very deep rich Fjord black.

Thanks for raising that point. I had similar reservations about Ardennes.

Hi, I have to interject here. I own both a Fjord Black Kelly 32 with GHW and a Fjord Rouge Vif Birkin 35 with PHW. They’re two of my most favorite bags but something to note:

Fjord is not iridescent nor is it dark. Fjord is not shiny. In Black it comes off as matte and velvety and almost a faded black more than true black. If you’re looking for a dark, rich black saturated color in leather, Fjord may disappoint you.

Rouge Vif is normally a very rich bright red but in Fjord, it comes off as a matte velvety red and not bright at all. It looks like red velvet cake more than bright red. In Fjord you can see more of the cool pink tone.

Fjord is also heavier than Ardennes and in the 35 size, this may or may not be a factor for you.

If you aren’t a dressy gal then I would go for the Fjord with PHW because the Ardennes black and GHW does show up as “fancier” but in this size, they’re both more of a day time bag.

Personally I would always pick Fjord over any pressed leather. Actually I would pick Fjord over all other cowhide leather always because it holds its shape, is thicker, hardier/wears better, and smells so leathery and heavenly. Also make sure you’re okay with veins because Fjord is known to be veiny—something I really love about it btw.

If you want rich black, don’t get the Fjord. Just my two cents. Best of luck! :flowers:

Some unedited, no filter pics of my Fjord bags:

Black Fjord inside -
7AEB2953-7064-434C-8CDE-FF0570927F9C.jpeg

Black Fjord in car with daylight - (notice how much blacker the Twilly is to the leather)
1D740B0D-FACC-446C-86D1-B4C0F36B102A.jpeg

Compare to my So Black iridescent Grained Lambskin Chanel Boy:
7FF6087D-CA65-4D3D-970B-B4F1C46459AB.jpeg

Rouge Vif Fjord inside bedroom - (compare the Rouge Vif Fjord Bag to the lady bug charm which is Rouge Vif Box leather)
6932C13F-9948-41D6-919E-2B2D7B128194.jpeg

Rouge Vif Fjord in car in daylight - (the stitching looks pinkish with this leather. Also compare the shiny lambskin of the Rodeo Charm to the matte texture of the Fjord leather on the bag.)
E43F727B-B8EA-4AA3-A85C-C36A89FCF7B4.jpeg

Hope this helps! :heart:

Edited to add: These bags were purchased at beginning of 2009 and still look and smell brand new. Every time I open the box, my room smells like leather. No slouching and no corner wear. But I am careful with my bags. My new 2017 Togo B25 and B30 are already flopping over from the weight of the front handle when they are empty. The leather is thinner. Also they only have a slight leather smell. So something to think about.

Last edited:
I am all about ardennes. I love how it is kind of matte yet glows somehow. My 40cm Kelly is black ardennes leather and rain/snow/sun/whatever it comes with me everywhere everyday and has held up incredibly well! No scratches, no staining, the corners are a teeny tiny bit faded but I literally use her all day every day! Nothing a spa treatment won't bring back to perfection. I am just not a fan of the veined leathers personally. But seriously they are both lovely and you can't go wrong with either one!

Attachments

• ArdenneGlow.jpg
    ArdenneGlow.jpg
    226.1 KB · Views: 580
Last edited:
73992165-4041-4EE6-8778-68638FB8DDF1.jpeg I prefer the fjord as I love the veins and just prefer the leather texture. However whichever one you go for I don’t think a B35 is ever going to look particularly dressy in any leather or hardware and definitely not something Maggie would have worn! To me it’s very much a casual tote in that size and more suited to travel, work or shopping than an evening meal in a restaurant.
I don’t own either of these leathers but I have a Togo B GHW and I’m rarely out of jeans on a day off!

Fjord hands down. I think it is a sturdier leather and by definition, the Ardennes has to be an older bag. I also like the palladium hardware as it keeps the bag fresh looking in a leather that is not too shiny. Also love the veining in this leather. I have a black 35cm Kelly in fjord with gold hardware and in Kelly the gold makes it a little more formal, which is just fine to me, but this is a tote so it is more casual.

Definitely Fjord! And I normally prefer gold hardware, but the Fjord leather is just so wonderful!! And being tall, my black 35b looks just great in elegant restaurants all over the world.

View attachment 3959333
I don’t own either of these leathers but I have a Togo B GHW and I’m rarely out of jeans on a day off!

You look so pretty! Like an advertisement for Hermès. :loveeyes:

i have a 2004 fjord birkin 35 (from the lovely kaz at sandia exchange) and i LOVE it! i love the velvety look and the veins....also like others said it ages so beautifully! mine is still in pristine condition despite being almost 14 years old! fjord all the way :heart:

here is my beauty :biggrin:
View attachment 3959425

Wow! Your bag is gorgeous! :love:
I wish Hermès would bring Fjord back.

Fjord here too.

Thanks. :heart:

Hi, I have to interject here. I own both a Fjord Black Kelly 32 with GHW and a Fjord Rouge Vif Birkin 35 with PHW. They’re two of my most favorite bags but something to note:

Fjord is not iridescent nor is it dark. Fjord is not shiny. In Black it comes off as matte and velvety and almost a faded black more than true black. If you’re looking for a dark, rich black saturated color in leather, Fjord may disappoint you.

Rouge Vif is normally a very rich bright red but in Fjord, it comes off as a matte velvety red and not bright at all. It looks like red velvet cake more than bright red. In Fjord you can see more of the cool pink tone.

Fjord is also heavier than Ardennes and in the 35 size, this may or may not be a factor for you.

If you aren’t a dressy gal then I would go for the Fjord with PHW because the Ardennes black and GHW does show up as “fancier” but in this size, they’re both more of a day time bag.

Personally I would always pick Fjord over any pressed leather. Actually I would pick Fjord over all other cowhide leather always because it holds its shape, is thicker, hardier/wears better, and smells so leathery and heavenly. Also make sure you’re okay with veins because Fjord is known to be veiny—something I really love about it btw.

If you want rich black, don’t get the Fjord. Just my two cents. Best of luck! :flowers:

Some unedited, no filter pics of my Fjord bags:

Black Fjord inside -
View attachment 3959147

Black Fjord in car with daylight - (notice how much blacker the Twilly is to the leather)
View attachment 3959194

Compare to my So Black iridescent Grained Lambskin Chanel Boy:
View attachment 3959179

Rouge Vif Fjord inside bedroom - (compare the Rouge Vif Fjord Bag to the lady bug charm which is Rouge Vif Box leather)
View attachment 3959148

Rouge Vif Fjord in car in daylight - (the stitching looks pinkish with this leather. Also compare the shiny lambskin of the Rodeo Charm to the matte texture of the Fjord leather on the bag.)
View attachment 3959150

Hope this helps! :heart:

Edited to add: These bags were purchased at beginning of 2009 and still look and smell brand new. Every time I open the box, my room smells like leather. No slouching and no corner wear. But I am careful with my bags. My new 2017 Togo B25 and B30 are already flopping over from the weight of the front handle when they are empty. The leather is thinner. Also they only have a slight leather smell. So something to think about.

Thanks so much for all this information and the photos which are massively useful. Your bags are absolutely beautiful. I see what you mean about the tone of black. Definitely not as deep as the Chanel lambskin (?). There is still a richness to it I think though. Maybe it's the leather texture that makes it look luxurious in my eyes. I think I am definitely a textured leather person the more I look. I have read that Ardennes can fade after a bit which I find disconcerting. Especially if it's a patchy fade. I wonder if the Fjord keeps its colour better?

I am all about ardennes. I love how it is kind of matte yet glows somehow. My 40cm Kelly is black ardennes leather and rain/snow/sun/whatever it comes with me everywhere everyday and has held up incredibly well! No scratches, no staining, the corners are a teeny tiny bit faded but I literally use her all day every day! Nothing a spa treatment won't bring back to perfection. I am just not a fan of the veined leathers personally. But seriously they are both lovely and you can't go wrong with either one!

This is helpful and especially the comment on spa treatment. That does make me think about long term care being a consideration.

The fjord in the picture is gorgeous! :loveeyes:

Yes - I thought the same. It really draws me in.

i would choose fjord, as a fjord black birkin PHW owner myself, because i just love veiny H bags.
do you have a preference for hardware choice? i personally would prefer PHW with black H bags, i also think given the two options , GHW may make the birkin "more formal" ?

Yes - I do think gold looks more formal. I don't know why. I wear it quite happily as jewellery every day but there's something about gold hardware that just looks dressier to me.

View attachment 3959333 I prefer the fjord as I love the veins and just prefer the leather texture. However whichever one you go for I don’t think a B35 is ever going to look particularly dressy in any leather or hardware and definitely not something Maggie would have worn! To me it’s very much a casual tote in that size and more suited to travel, work or shopping than an evening meal in a restaurant.

I agree it's not Maggie :biggrin: I wouldn't do it for a formal dinner and the size I think prohibits it from looking overly dressy - I see your point there. I don't do a lot of fancy evening meals out. It has the perfect amount of slouch in my eyes. What a lovely looking bag. Great shape and size on you.

Another vote for Fjord. I prefer the way it looks to Ardennes.

Thanks. :heart:

Fjord hands down. I think it is a sturdier leather and by definition, the Ardennes has to be an older bag. I also like the palladium hardware as it keeps the bag fresh looking in a leather that is not too shiny. Also love the veining in this leather. I have a black 35cm Kelly in fjord with gold hardware and in Kelly the gold makes it a little more formal, which is just fine to me, but this is a tote so it is more casual.

Thanks. The age is something to consider in terms of longevity. Plus I do need something sturdy. I buy things to use and although I look after my bags I don't want to feel I have to carry it around with one arm protecting it all the time :giggle:

i have a 2004 fjord birkin 35 (from the lovely kaz at sandia exchange) and i LOVE it! i love the velvety look and the veins....also like others said it ages so beautifully! mine is still in pristine condition despite being almost 14 years old! fjord all the way :heart:

here is my beauty :biggrin:
View attachment 3959425

This is beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

Definitely Fjord! And I normally prefer gold hardware, but the Fjord leather is just so wonderful!! And being tall, my black 35b looks just great in elegant restaurants all over the world.

I don't go to many elegant restaurants as there's not much choice where I live right now. Maybe when I move to my next country I will need to factor in opportunities to wear a Birkin in my decision making :yes::yes:

I feel like the 1st one would match your style drescription. I own both PHW and GHW. GHW is def dressier.
Also Fijord looks amazing in all the pictures here. It is def a great option