The official 'YSL out in the wild' thread.

chinsumo

O.G.
Jul 27, 2007
Living in the DC metropolitan area, I'm starting to realize the frequency in which I see YSL bags around town. Being carried by chic women of all shapes, sizes and ages.

Yesterday while wandering the streets of Georgetown--actually, my friend and I were going to 'Baked and Wired' to get cupcakes--I saw a very chic woman carrying a black patent majorelle tote. The cupcakes were delicious, but the bag sightings were even tastier.

Also, I saw a crocodile birkin in Barneys.

Now, everyone else post your bag sightings, and out-in-the-wild stories. Would be cool to get an idea about the kind of woman, or man that carries YSL.

majorellemedium.jpg

It also makes me wonder, did I just see someone from tPF?:heart:

Also, I have other stories about YSL sightings that I'll post later.

Last edited:
I see a woman on my train every morning to NYC who carries my Majorelle, but in blue! Most of the women carry the obligatory Coach and a longchamp fold out bag for their papers and such...ick. One or two women have cool bags, but alot of coach signature, gucci signature, which bores me, (sorry if I offend anyone!) I have a pretty varied collection, and I get alot of "great bag" comments in the morning. If I see someone with something cool I usually stike up a conversation!

I don't see much of any interest. But I'm pretty oblivious. My friends chide me bc I pass movie stars and don't notice them...I just don't pay attention I guess!

Oh, I'm totally with you Melissa. I think the reason why my YSL bag sightings stick out so much is because I usually see them in a sea of Coach and longchamp. And, I don't think you've offended anyone, I don't think we YSL lovers are huge fans of signature bags. Ick indeed! Have you ever given, like a nod of recognition to that woman with the blue majorelle? I wonder if she visits here.

Well, I saw a really chich lady in malaysia carrying a YSL UPTOWN in White! Toting it around Pavilion KL. Me and my friends were gushing over her, really, she was wearing tribute pumps from YSL too. and it's really really really really rare to see anyone carry a YSL in malaysia cause majority of the people here isn't so fashion forward and they only go for labels like Louis Vuitton or Gucci or Burberry or Longchamp and coach. mainly because that screams labels and hey lookatmeimfreakinrich. but the ysl uptown sighting was one of my best. I was carrying a downtown that day and she saw the back and flashed back a smile at me, when i bumped into her again in Club Monaco lol.

Last edited:
toosan, uptown sightings are probably rare everywhere. That's so cool that you saw a woman wearing one on her arm! I always try to give an acknowledging smile when I see someone else with a YSL bag.

ambreit, thanks for the suggestion, I'm sure as the thread grows, that might be taken into consideration. But not while it's still so young. haha. And, speaking of Balenciaga, on that same day I saw the Majorelle, I saw a group of three college aged girls with Balenciaga city bags. All with giant silver hardware! I was wondering if they had their own little club where you had to own a BBag to join!

I have not caught the blue majorelle wearer's eye yet!

There is a woman with fab bags, she and I struck up a conversation one day bc she was carrying the burberry warrior bag with the thousand metal studs on it (a weighs a ton!)

I'm glad you get it on the generic handbag world of suburbia! Yikes. I'd rather carry a plastic bag from stopnshop than some of these bags...I also see a ton of LV neverfulls, and a few Chanel totes.

PS, sometimes that "vintage" coach is just OLD!! Sorry, know that was snarky, but I am so tired of seeing the worn out 1989 version of the flap bag! LOL!

I love this thread! I just bought my first YSL bag, the Downtown med. in black, and love the classic, chic look of YSL bags. I too hate the over-logo look of LV, Coach, even Chanel bags. I live in So. Ca. and think it looks so chic to see women and celebs carrying their YSL bags.:tup:

I think this thread is a fun idea. :tup: I'd just suggest that we try to keep the tone positive and focus on enjoying the sights of YSL bags. I'd prefer that it not turn into a thread that dumps on other brands.

I think this thread is a fun idea. :tup: I'd just suggest that we try to keep the tone positive and focus on enjoying the sights of YSL bags. I'd prefer that it not turn into a thread that dumps on other brands.
I agree with you Cosmo, I did not mean to sound "snipy" about what other people carry, I too have the Guccis and LV's that I have loved,and will always keep, I guess I just got excited with my new YSL purchase, early Christmas gift to myself.:smile:

Yes, you are both right...I will say that Coach has done a great job with color in the last few years, and I do see many bags in the window of the store I really like, so I am not a Coach hater or anything. And tweezer, like you I also have a "logo" fendi tote, and an LV logo overnighter, both of which I love!!! :smile: (I also like the LV neverfulls I see around lately...and the chanels, forgetaboutit!!! I don't buy them bc they are so expensive and I change my mind too quickly!! HAHA.)

Cosmo is right, we'll stay positive:smile:

So my first experience in the wild with YSL was my friend Eliza had a mombassa with the horn handle several years ago when they first came out. I had a $500 limit per bag then, so I remember LOVING IT but being disappointed at how expensive it was...my how times have changed.

I should see if she still has the bag!! Maybe she's tired of it by now!!!!

Do like the thread, we have something similar over at the Bottega forum.

Anyways, I was thinking about the exact same thing since I had to start my civil service (in Germany, it's obligatory for every guy and it has to be done for nine months) and I realized that I was stuck in a hospital without anyone with a decent sense of fashion around for the next couple of months. Just when this hit me, I saw a blond lady with a Yris (rare!) at a train stop and at the next one there was an Asian lady carrying a gorgeous broken in black OS Muse. Was that a sign or was that just fate offending me a bit more? :P

Agreed. I'm sorry that it seemed as though it was heading that way.

Second story about a YSL sighting in the wild:

I was shopping at bloomingdales a few months ago in the Friendship Heights area of DC. I was walking towards the mens shoes department and was greeted by a young woman wearing a white dress, arm and arm with her boyfriend, holding a medium patent red downtown. I was carrying my black deerskin, and we both gave each other knowing glances and smiles. I think she's a member of tPF, but I think she frequents the Chanel subforum most.

Also, when I was at saks a few weeks ago, buying some Dries Van Noten shirts, haha, I saw a woman carrying a large white downtown. She was wearing a green shirt and jeans, and looked pretty casual, the bag was the perfect sort of statement piece.