The Official Dam* HH Everything About Color Thread

gingeybear

NE/SE and lovin' it!
Oct 26, 2008
RMC will you start an Everything about Color thread where we can go into it ? (jump in the lagoon...)
allo somebody start a dam color thread

Hokey Dokey Artichokey....what shall it be called?

Do you think the mods would mind if we call it "The Official HH Dam* Color Thread" ?:biggrin:

You brat I am still busting a gut over your clashing reds. Girl you DO paint a picture, Start the dam thread I can't have OP by my name

RMcC..I know Stormy asked you to do this..so if I'm horning in on anyone's turf..well..too dang bad..you know I love ya..right, chica?

LOL....but helz bells..let's get the show on the road..OK? So..IDK why you can't have OP by your name..sweet cheeks...(does it stand for something beside Original Postee..Poster...maybe Old Person, Odd Painter, Orgy Participant:graucho:) but I will defer to your perferences..'allo indeed... your wish is my command, dear heart.

So here it is..at Stormy's request...a bright shiney new playground for my fellow HHHomegurlz..the Official Dam* HH Everything About Color Thread...let the party begin..Happy Posting..and goodnight, Hotties.

Our color discussions were so scattered. Couple of things I'll start off with, Thanks, Ging
RMc 's wealth of knowledge and understanding of color is a treasure for us. Around tPF you'll find magnificent RMc posts about color and I'd like to read them all here and ask her to share more about our favorite wheel.
One thing that will help us all is to pick up an OACC
if you don't have one.
http://www.onlineauctioncolorchart.com/
Some of my favorite leather vendors use it, as well as some fabric sources. With OACC we know exactly what a color is without confusing subjective reports. RMc isn't it true that individuals can perceive color differently ?
Anyhow if all the hotties had 'em, we wouldn't rely on monitors.
Feel free to copy color questions from around the sub forum so they can get more discussion here, if you like. Corral them.
Rope and tie and brand 'em
excuse earworm
So bring it on, anything and everything about color is fair game here.
:yahoo::sunshine:

Stormy, that OACC is a "Now why didn't I think of that?" I would have loved that project. And, you are so right, MONITORS MESS UP AUCTIONS. I am a color fanatic. I have a specialized graphics monitor that cost more than my entire computer system. I color calibrate it often. Yet, I know any photo or image I post is at the mercy of the receiving monitor.

Gingey, chica, I do not mind at all that you started this thread. I had it on my "To Do" list for this morning. Woke up and "Voila"... it is done. And, named with more character than I would have titled it on my own, LOL. Aaahhh... to name our color thread after a reservoir.

So, starting off the color discussions... let's go to the color Gingey and I seek. BRG. British Racing Green. This deep color can vary by shades, so that is why some look at my avatar and think too bright (monitors!) because BRG to them is a black green. In modern car usage it is predominantly associated with Jaguar. I prefer Rolls Royce, which is why mine is a bit brighter. Though, Jaguar has had the lighter BRG in their vintage Jags...

Here is my BRG Trophy sitting by a car worthy of it's splendor:
trophybritgreenjag.jpg

BRG can range from dark green to nearly black:

BRGcolorways.jpg

As you can see, my preference is 0 parts of Red 0, 66 parts Green, and 37 parts Blue. I like my deep green to be almost a 2 to 1 ratio of Green to Blue - with no red (red being opposite on the color wheel will actually tone down a green (grey it down). An artist's secret, if you are working with a color either on a painting or on your wall, if a color is too bright (and you can't take it back) add a smidge of whatever color would be opposite it on the color wheel. Instant muting! Notice on the chart above, the greater the first number (RED) the darker, more muted, more black that color is.

History of the color:
In the early 1900's, international car racing required all car components be made in the nation driving the competing car and were to be that nation's color - car, wheels, interior, uniforms, etc. I think it was around 1902 or 03 that Britain hosted the race because the previous year they had the winning driver. Yet, there was a catch 22. Racing was illegal in GB at the time. So, they held it in Ireland as part of GB. Great Britain's colors of red, blue, and white were already taken. So, in deference to Ireland who stepped in to host the race, GB went green. They continued green as their color until just recently in 2004 when GB's Formula One was sold to "Red Bull". I guess, like HH, Red Bull couldn't see green.

On a side note for the meticulous color afficionado... BRG derived from Brunswick Green. It is "an oxychloride of copper, used as a green pigment; also, a carbonate of copper similarly employed". I had to look that one up, LOL.

No joking around from me right now. RMcC..thank you. I love the history of anything.

RMcC...now I know that the color that you and I are craving are slightly different. Mine has a bit more olive/yellow and less of a blue cast (see my avatar). My neighbor just brought home a brand spanking new Jag in BRG.

But when I talk about bottle green..I know exactly what color I want..although every site I go to defines/describes/depicts it differently. Hence my posting of the actual objects of my desire and questions..and then I try to toddle somewhere where I can fondle and ogle to my hearts content.

http://www.december.com/html/spec/color2.html just to show you where I'm at..somewhere in the range of first column: romaine lettuce #3B5323,darkgreen #2F4F2F, noble fir #476A34

second column...limerind#324F17, wet moss #3D5229, douglas fir #3F602B...ok..you catch my drift here don't y'all.

But in the case of this pallette..many of the colors have little to do with what they are named after..so...Stormy.. I'm too lazy for smiliemoticons again..so imagine a great big THANK YOU thingie..dancing for joy blowing kisses!

I often took/take a box of crayolas with me if I needed a reference. Or embroidery/needlepoint thread from DMC.OMGoodness..Stormy...I can't wait to get my chart so we can be on the same page...apropos of that...

Stormy..that chart is sheer genious! Is that company legit to order it from or do you have a different preference? I love the fact that the purchase price is so reasonable. This way we will all be on the same page when we pinpoint color descriptions.

BTW when I was in the wholesale end of design/conceptualizing/protype creation for a major jewlery company..and later on in a millinery/accessory company ...in "the biz" we used (and they still use) the Pantone color charts..but they are prohibitively expensive to purchase although I see the price has come down a bit.

At this point "fashionistas" and arbeiters of "must have colors" often buy Pantone pallettes by season.

For those of you who wonder why the color pallete for most designers appears to be almost identical every season...this is how they come to their decisions.(Server is busy so I cached it..)
http://74.125.93.132/search?q=cache...+pantone+color+chart&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us)

Here's an example of how it works for some wholesalers/retailers in the jewelry business(I'm using a reference for S/S 2010 and gems) http://www.firemountaingems.com/tre...+chart&s_kwcid=pantone color chart|2849307770

However, designers like HH sometimes give the color they are using a "fanstasy" name to set the mood or fit in with the overall design concept or theme. What gets confusing is that one company's indigo blue or ruby red is not the same as another's so problems arise such as trying to figure out what the color really looks like...or mixing and matching pieces becomes problematic. I mean..come on bright red..brite red..brite blue..etc..that might ever help me understand what I am ordering.

So at this point, I ask for a swatch or a lookbook if I can't see the item IRL if it is at all possible..not to mention the issue of dye lots..which is a whole 'nother subcategory IMHO. I did this before I ordered my first Ignes because the colors on their website looked nothing like the IRL modeling shots and reveals. I have a major problem with many of HH's photos..I know I know..my skills suck..but my eye is good...HH's colors and photos of their line often look "cartoony" or washed out..nothing like most of your gorgeous shots..is there too much light exposure?

Sooo..most of the time HH is pretty good about naming colors. What got a bit confusing to me this past season is when the recycled Blueberry. I hated the A/W 2008 BB..perhaps because of the leather or the dye..I liked the A/S 2009 Blueberry quite a bit more..even though I am usually not a fan of certain blues. Calling something Grey Zeus..when Crystalized Grey might be better..but even then this still gives us nothing to go by in terms of "is it a blue grey, green grey, tone, shade, saturation, texture???"

Hence the great.."what color is this leather?" debate/discussion here and on other forums. So thanks RM and Stormy..I take no credit for starting this thread other than just being tired!

BTW..in the course of my research over the years I came across this intriguing condition..there is an neuroscienctific anomoly, synesthesia..meaning "joined perception". Not going into lecture mode...so this is the simplest site to explain it. http://faculty.washington.edu/chudler/syne.html

Some people experience music, or see things such as peoples' names or days of the week in color! I often wonder if the design process would be enhanced or hindered by someone with this conditon.

Last edited:
Thanks, gals!! I'll order my chart today, although it's the subjective experience of color that I'm drawn to, the challenge to describe a color using metaphor, points of reference that others also have experience with (like describing Yam as a Kraft caramel or a warm honey). But I am aware of the limits to that approach... SO time to dust of the 8 years of art and start being specific :smile:

So RMC, in the greens you posted, the second one down (0, 51, 0) is "pure" green? And one quick question, why don't the figures add up to a common sum? (Like 100, so a pure green would be 0,100,0)? And are these the same figures (or at least system) used when you have paints mixed at Home Depot?

Jenni, the second swatch (0,51,0) is medium green. It is only at 50% of its saturation. "Dark Green" is 0-100-0 and is pure G out of the R-G-B. It is my understanding that if a color's numbers do not add up to 100, it is because it is not fully saturated - thus light and medium colors will sometimes have a low number in one pigment. Pastels will have a 5 or 10 in one and 0's in the other two, not even coming close to 100.

No you don't use those colors when having paints mixed at HD. RGB (Red/Green/Blue) is a visual scale for monitors and TVs. That is all those vehicles see. Even more confusing, because internet site pages have to have coding that tells a monitor what to show in the Wonderful World of Web, the RGB of monitors had to have an equivalent translation into coding. So, now we have another color scale. So, RGB numbers are translated into HEX numbers (6 characters of code), a.k.a. color mapping.

CMYK (Cyan/Magenta/Yellow/Blac(k) are what presses and printers see - as we all know from ordering toner or ink.

Ordering paint at Home Depot is based more on the old oil painting methods. Each color is a formula of proportions from a group of 12-16 colorants (pigments) added to neutral bases. The selection of colorants is typical of historical oil paint colors (thalos, umbers, siennas, cads, etc) with a few "bulletin" pigments derived from the sign-painting industry.

But, all color theory works the same way in how one pigment associates with another on the color wheel.

Hi all, I've been following the pursuit of British Racing Green. Every time I read something here, I think of my very first, brand new car. VW Karmann Ghia in British Racing Green with Tan interior. This has all brought back some great memories. I googled today to try and find a photo, and what I found what an interesting thread that mentioned that MANY people remember their BRG VWs, but VW actually never made a color officially called BRG. Have no idea what the official color was now, but I'm crushed. Thanks for some great memories though.

Hi all, I've been following the pursuit of British Racing Green. Every time I read something here, I think of my very first, brand new car. VW Karmann Ghia in British Racing Green with Tan interior. This has all brought back some great memories. I googled today to try and find a photo, and what I found what an interesting thread that mentioned that MANY people remember their BRG VWs, but VW actually never made a color officially called BRG. Have no idea what the official color was now, but I'm crushed. Thanks for some great memories though.

What year was the car. 59-60 was Malachite Green. Then no dark green until '62 (Emerald Green). '64 went to a blacker green called Roulette Green. No green for a bit until '68 with Cypress Green (very black green). Went back lighter in green around '70 called Irish Green (still close to British Green). They also debuted a 2nd green that is a true woodland green called "Willow". Both ran until '72 when the closest green to BRG was called "Zambesi Green" (Ravenna green being more of a spring green). Any of these ring familiar?

GB and RMC - re: synesthesia and other related perceptual problems. It's great to have the charts and the formulas to use in colour comparison but I often think that even if we held up the same swatch of colour to a group of people, that they don't actually "see" it differently. "Seeing" being the particular arrangement of rods and cones, the optic nerve and then the brain "interpreting" the data.

I've been working with stone colours, paint and stain swatches recently with my DH, landscape designer (female), contractor (male), landscape installer (male). We were all sitting around the table looking at the exact same stuff and "reading" it differently. The two females (me and designer) read the colours one way and the guys read it very differently. One way to account for it could just be training - that some of us who know a bit about colour are better at seeing it but it made me wonder about gender differences with perception.

What year was the car. 59-60 was Malachite Green. Then no dark green until '62 (Emerald Green). '64 went to a blacker green called Roulette Green. No green for a bit until '68 with Cypress Green (very black green). Went back lighter in green around '70 called Irish Green (still close to British Green). They also debuted a 2nd green that is a true woodland green called "Willow". Both ran until '72 when the closest green to BRG was called "Zambesi Green" (Ravenna green being more of a spring green). Any of these ring familiar?

I just found a color chart, it must have been Zambesi Green, early 70's, maybe '73 or '74. I've always remembered it as BRG. But then, I can't even remember what year it was. I do remember I had two German Shorthair Pointers, one would ride in the passenger seat, and one in the jump seat. Enough room left for a bag of groceries on the floor. I also remember I didn't have it very long, chrome things started just falling off, before I even left the showroom pkg. lot for the first time. I have never "ordered" a new car since. If the color and model I want isn't on the lot, I keep looking. The Zambesi Green chip does look like your avatar color, RMC. At least on my monitor (color calibrated to my Epson printer.)

Thanks Eyeheart, I didn't see that one before. Mine was a darker green.

GB and RMC - re: synesthesia and other related perceptual problems. It's great to have the charts and the formulas to use in colour comparison but I often think that even if we held up the same swatch of colour to a group of people, that they don't actually "see" it differently. "Seeing" being the particular arrangement of rods and cones, the optic nerve and then the brain "interpreting" the data.

I've been working with stone colours, paint and stain swatches recently with my DH, landscape designer (female), contractor (male), landscape installer (male). We were all sitting around the table looking at the exact same stuff and "reading" it differently. The two females (me and designer) read the colours one way and the guys read it very differently. One way to account for it could just be training - that some of us who know a bit about colour are better at seeing it but it made me wonder about gender differences with perception.

sallyca..there have been numerous studies conducted on the subject of the role of gender in color perception or "reading'..don't want to bore you with the minutiae..although it is often reported that the results are ambiguous..I tend to agree with the fact that there are too many differentials that go into "reading" or perceiving colors. DH & I often have this issue. DD explained that when her senior project was being evaluated, the female professors read her colors and choice of colors too, much differently than the male professors..and interpreted her work based on their perceptions.

I also know that there are studies that indicate that males and females prefer certain colors..whether this is based on perception alone..or many other genetic and/or learned reactions..such as camoflauge (sp) or mating...color memory.. who knows?

Brief articles..if you wish to explore further..

http://scholar.google.com/scholar?s...or perception&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=ws

http://www.colormatters.com/khouw.html

FWIW..many other scholarly articles (I need to apply a filter so many of these are not applicable) which won't be available because I have a password to databases..but believe me..this subject is a hot topic.

http://www.informedesign.com/Rs_detail.aspx?rsId=2893

Gingey - forgot to thank you for all the info. Blows my little brain cells out of the water but hey, it'll ward off dementia maybe. It is really interesting. I've stopped asking DH if likes the colour. "Yes, it's fine" doesn't help me much.

I am LOVING all this color information! Color is the first thing that attracts me to just about anything! And the richness of RMC's greens.... scrumptious!

Although I have always wondered if royal blue is my favorite color (and has been since I could talk) because that's the color of the walls of my bedroom when I was teeny tiny. When my sister came along 2 years after me - we got pale pink!

I hope this is a good place to post some color photos I took tonight - My original yam Tharpe and my new Yam Emile Indexer wallet. The new Yam feels tougher and less smooshy than the Tharpe, but I don't think this is a bad thing in a wallet. It is still a beautiful leather.

I also got 2 wallets in aubergine - not sure I'll keep both, but they do look good with the Byrne I got during the auctions. Again none of my aubergine things are smooshy as other HH items.

And some day I'll have lots of time to take photos in great light - instead of when I get home from work Before dinner!

Attachments

• new wallets.jpg
    new wallets.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 299
  • new yam1.jpg
    new yam1.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 314
  • aubergine.jpg
    aubergine.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 308