The new way LV is upping their prices: individually by item!

Camaro Chic

LVoe Hermes!
Dec 6, 2011
No more "PRICE INCREASE COMING FEB/MAR/APR/ETC 1ST!" Just wanted to give everyone a heads up in the States-- according to my manager and her district manager, LV is no longer doing across-the-board percentage-based price increases: they're increasing prices on a per batch item basis, meaning that popular items, or items they feel need to be more expensive for whatever reason, such as production costs, will have the costs raised on them individually. Generally, sales associates will not know about this until the day the price changes in the system.

I for one much prefer this concept and find it to be more 'fair'. I don't believe LVMH is still in the mindset of being concerned about exclusivity, especially with Ghesquiére at the creative helm; he's doing an inspired job, and the unique beauty combined with artistic savoir-faire we are seeing from the house carries a hefty price tag. Plus they've seen what's happened with Chanel's exorbitant price increases and the negative impact.

Just wanted to give you all a heads up on the information I'd picked up :smile: cheers! :tpfrox:

No more "PRICE INCREASE COMING FEB/MAR/APR/ETC 1ST!" Just wanted to give everyone a heads up in the States-- according to my manager and her district manager, LV is no longer doing across-the-board percentage-based price increases: they're increasing prices on a per batch item basis, meaning that popular items, or items they feel need to be more expensive for whatever reason, such as production costs, will have the costs raised on them individually. Generally, sales associates will not know about this until the day the price changes in the system.

I for one much prefer this concept and find it to be more 'fair'. I don't believe LVMH is still in the mindset of being concerned about exclusivity, especially with Ghesquiére at the creative helm; he's doing an inspired job, and the unique beauty combined with artistic savoir-faire we are seeing from the house carries a hefty price tag. Plus they've seen what's happened with Chanel's exorbitant price increases and the negative impact.

Just wanted to give you all a heads up on the information I'd picked up :smile: cheers! :tpfrox:

Interesting. Let's see what items go up!

I think they have been doing this for awhile. There hasn't been an across the board increase in the US for awhile, I want to say like maybe 3 years? I think it's a better strategy because it's less shocking. Also less work for staff, I can't imagine how time consuming it was to replace those little tags in every single item!

Reactions: LVlvoe_bug
Thank you for sharing!
:tup:
I agree that the insane price increases by Chanel has backfired. I'm turned off, and I hear other people saying they are done buying classic flaps. I see more people on youtube going for the more affordable mini bags or SLG's.
Same here. I don't buy anything new from chanel anymore except perfume and sunglasses. I'm not paying that much money when I feel like I'm not getting anything better than what it was when it was half the price 5 years ago.

Thank you for the information.

I also think this is a better tactic than increasing everything at once. Especially for slgs the prices would be quite high some day and the interest to have more than one of them would likely decrease.
Last year it was also noticeable that new releases were priced higher than older existing pieces. This also is a good strategy to place the starting price higher. For consumers there is no old 'lower' price to compare the item to and the 'higher' price is more likely to receive broad acceptance.

I actually noticed this in Australia as well! Especially when I re-re-re-re-(I have honestly lost count how many times)-purchased my LV Speedy 40B that I had procrastinated from purchasing it and when I was checking it out to it was AUD1780 vs. when I actually bought it was AUD1830 (this is also maybe a months time... FOUR WEEKS... 30 DAYS... and I have to pay an extra AUD50... grrrr). Meanwhile I compared it with the mens items, in particular the Porte Documents Voyage PM throughout this whole time up to today is still AUD1730 or something like that. It seems LV is targeting the price increases mainly on women's leather goods and SLG's whereas the men's items are more steady (yay for me!).

I agree that the insane price increases by Chanel has backfired. I'm turned off, and I hear other people saying they are done buying classic flaps. I see more people on youtube going for the more affordable mini bags or SLG's.

The average price point of an LV leather bag warrants a trip to other luxury houses, before making a few thousand dollar purchase on a handbag. Most of the time I find LV leather handbag prices as over-the-top as Chanel.

Thank you for the information.

I also think this is a better tactic than increasing everything at once. Especially for slgs the prices would be quite high some day and the interest to have more than one of them would likely decrease.
Last year it was also noticeable that new releases were priced higher than older existing pieces. This also is a good strategy to place the starting price higher. For consumers there is no old 'lower' price to compare the item to and the 'higher' price is more likely to receive broad acceptance.

I really wish somebody could tell me why LV, Hermes and other luxury houses feel the need to raise their prices approximately 10% at a time. Most salaries go up 2%. Cost of living, 3%. What's up with the 10%? On a $3000 handbag somebody might have been saving up for a year to buy, that extra $300 price increase is huge.
The annual price increase had me burned out.
At least with the strategy of coming in at a higher price, I can cross certain items off my list immediately.