The new LG Steam Laundry washer dryer set?

amanda,

I want to thank you for your advice. Last month in this forum you suggested I try an HE detergent to get rid of the moldy smell in my LG front-loading washer.

I couldn't be more pleased with the difference! My laundry room no longer smells! And neither does my washer. The odor had been so over powering that it was even noticable out into the hallway!

I found HE Wisk (with a "fresh crisp scent"). It's the only HE brand they sell at the grocery store out here, but it works!

Thanks so much for your advice. You have made me very happy!:tup:

I don't have the LG model but I've had Bosch front loading washer and dryer for almost 10 years. I can't even begin to say how much I love it!! I love the way your clothes come out almost dry when you spin them at 1200. Sometimes I don't even put them in the dryer - just hang on a rack or a hanger. Mine also has a water heater feature when you can heat the water to almost boiling! Great for towels, sheets, etc... And stain removal too.

The only drawbacks are:

- You have to do a FULL load in order to balance.
- Once the door is closed and the cycle starts you can't put in that sock that fell on the floor!
- Get the laundry out as soon as it is finished because of wrinkling.

I put mine in a closet upstairs in one of our unused bedrooms - which is now a laundry room. It is fabulous!

I don't have the LG model but I've had Bosch front loading washer and dryer for almost 10 years. I can't even begin to say how much I love it!! I love the way your clothes come out almost dry when you spin them at 1200. Sometimes I don't even put them in the dryer - just hang on a rack or a hanger. Mine also has a water heater feature when you can heat the water to almost boiling! Great for towels, sheets, etc... And stain removal too.

The only drawbacks are:

- You have to do a FULL load in order to balance.
- Once the door is closed and the cycle starts you can't put in that sock that fell on the floor!
- Get the laundry out as soon as it is finished because of wrinkling.

I put mine in a closet upstairs in one of our unused bedrooms - which is now a laundry room. It is fabulous!

i'm glad you like your machines! bosch is a great company, they make wonderful, high quality appliances.

in the 10 years that you've had yours, though, they've made some changes that fix some of the drawbacks that you mentioned. LG and Samsung machines now have systems that are capable of balancing much smaller loads, so you don't have to wait until you've got a giant mountain of laundry to do. samsung's technology in that area is particularly cutting edge, they use a ball bearing system that surrounds the wash tub. also, all the brands now have a 'pause' feature that allows you to stop the wash cycle up to about 15 minutes in (it varies by company), drain the water, and add items you forgot! i think that one in particular is really cool. also, almost all front load dryers now have a wrinkle prevention cycle setting that will tumble the dry load every 3-4 minutes for up to 90 minutes (this varies a little by company as well) after the load is actually finished drying to prevent wrinkling.

What a great idea! My laundry room is upstairs so it's convenient, but it is so tiny. Did it take much re-modelling and plumbing work to locate it in the closet?

A bit of work but so worth it! I will try to take pic tomorrow. We live in an old house (late 1920's) so we are used to everything being a bit of a chore when it comes to remodelling. I love the charm of an old house so that is just the way it is.

We have a bathroom on the first floor that is right underneath this closet so we just had to extend the hot/cold water upstairs - which my DH did with his dad (my FIL is the most wonderful man in the world and i love him dearly. Probably more than my DH! LOL) Then we had a plumber come in and put in an emergency drain tub (which the unit sits on top of) and a drainage pipe that runs to wherever waste water goes in the basement (I have no clue). The emergency drain tub was my DH's big thing. He was so against having the unit upstairs because of possible flooding. Even though in 10 years I've never had a problem!

The units themselves are stackable and fit perfectly in a closet.

I promise to take a pic tomorrow. It is so cool and worth every penny. Especially when I do bedding. I'm kind of a laundry freek anyways and wash everyone's sheets at least once a week. More like 2x in the summer.

^
Maxter, thanks for the information and I would love to see a picture! I, too, am a clean freak. My DH says I'm "creepy clean", but that's okay by me! I love my washing machine, dryer and central vacuum more than just about anything in the world!

My DH would insist on an emergencey drain tub too. Guys are like that I guess. When we had this house built he asked the builder to install one next to our washer, but I don't know why exactly.

You've given me a great idea to mull over. I love my house, everything about it, except my laundry room.

^
Maxter, thanks for the information and I would love to see a picture! I, too, am a clean freak. My DH says I'm "creepy clean", but that's okay by me! I love my washing machine, dryer and central vacuum more than just about anything in the world!

My DH would insist on an emergencey drain tub too. Guys are like that I guess. When we had this house built he asked the builder to install one next to our washer, but I don't know why exactly.

You've given me a great idea to mull over. I love my house, everything about it, except my laundry room.

LeeLee,

My son's soccer team made it to the finals so we will be driving down to Rockford this am and I won't get a chance to snap a pic until later tonight or tomorrow. But I PROMISE I will!

OMG - you and me and our clean freak-ish-ness! We would probably drive each other crazy!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE my central vac. Just think of the work it took to retro fit that into an old house! Worth every penny. I love how the dust and everthing is just sucked into a tank in the garage. I used to have a Kirby and my MIL has a Dyson but I still think a Central Vac is the BEST!!

What's with guys and their cautiousness. We've nicknamed my DH Mr. Safety! A plus is that if you put in the emergency tub that "lifts" up the washer about a foot (since that is how high the tub is) and you don't need pedestals for the washer. One HUGE drawback of my Bosch was that it didn't come with pedestals and I was literally on my knees reaching in to get the laundry.

If you have the space do it - you won't be sorry!!

BTW - How often do you do your sheets?

LeeLee,

Sorry for the delay but here are the pics. I live in a old cape cod house and this closet is in one of the dormers.

This will give you an idea of the size of the dormer:
Bosch4.JPG
Bosch5.JPG

You can see the vent tube for the dryer on top. We vent to the attic.
Bosch7.JPG

This is next to the w/d. I have baskets/old towels and rags and all my detergent.
Bosch3.JPG

This is the bottom of the washer with the "tub" with the drain. I like how it raises up the washer.
Bosch1.JPG

Just found this thread and amazed at all the information regarding the high efficiency of the frontload washer/dryer system.

Quick question. I knew I had a problem with the detergent. The sales representative never told me about using HE detergent when I bought my brand new Bosch system last year. The Samsung was too expensive for my budget. What if you are allergic to all the HE brands of detergent. Is there another alternative to no phosphate brand? For some reason I am not as allergic to ERA.:shrugs: Any answer would be very much appreciated. TIA:flowers:

Sorry about mixing up the brands of washers and dryers. You can tell I don't know a thing about washing machines because of my allergies.
LG brand and Samsung brand two completely different sets.
oops.gif

Just found this thread and amazed at all the information regarding the high efficiency of the frontload washer/dryer system.

Quick question. I knew I had a problem with the detergent. The sales representative never told me about using HE detergent when I bought my brand new Bosch system last year. The Samsung was too expensive for my budget. What if you are allergic to all the HE brands of detergent. Is there another alternative to no phosphate brand? For some reason I am not as allergic to ERA.:shrugs: Any answer would be very much appreciated. TIA:flowers:

I would do an extra rinse cycle at the end of your regular cycle. ON the Bosch it is called "Rinse Plus" I think. Another chance to rinse/spin the detergent out of the clothes. Should work find for you!

maxter,

Thanks so much for taking the time to photograph and post pictures of your WONDERFUL laundry room! This is laundry heaven!!!!

The stacked washer and dryer conserve a lot of space and I would imagine lessens the amount of bending over one must do since only one machine sits on the ground. And then there are all those shelves and cabinets! OMG! What I couldn't do with all that space!

Thanks a million for posting. I'll show your pictures to my DH when he gets home b/c I re-configuring our laundry room is something I really want to do.

We actually have an unused bedroom upstairs next to the current laundry room so even if we pushed out a wall and remodelled that way it would be helpful.

Thanks again for the inspiration......and happy washing!!! (LOL! I know you know what I mean!):smile:

maxter,

Thanks so much for taking the time to photograph and post pictures of your WONDERFUL laundry room! This is laundry heaven!!!!

The stacked washer and dryer conserve a lot of space and I would imagine lessens the amount of bending over one must do since only one machine sits on the ground. And then there are all those shelves and cabinets! OMG! What I couldn't do with all that space!

Thanks a million for posting. I'll show your pictures to my DH when he gets home b/c I re-configuring our laundry room is something I really want to do.

We actually have an unused bedroom upstairs next to the current laundry room so even if we pushed out a wall and remodelled that way it would be helpful.

Thanks again for the inspiration......and happy washing!!! (LOL! I know you know what I mean!):smile:

Shelves and cabinets courtesy of Home Depot and installed by my wonderful father-in-law! He also put the beadboard around the entire inside of the closet. Looks so fancy-shmancy!

If you can find a room that is either above a room with water access (or next to one) that is your best bet. Then you have better access to the plumbing.

I will take some of my baskets out and snap a pic so you can see what the plumbing looks like behind the shelves. Since the closet isn't that deep we put the "faucets" in the shelf area and then just attach the washer to them with hoses (does that make sense?)

Thanks for all your compliments. I know you understand me when I say I am a LAUNDRY FREAK and this just made my life so much easier!

Since we do live in an old house I was lugging laundry UP and DOWN two flights of stairs all the time. No laundry chute. How the heck did they do it back then?

Good luck and keep me posted on what DH says.