The New DE Portabello GM

I have been mulling over my purchase of this bag. I was initially over the moon but there was 1 thing that has been weighing on my mind is the unfinished zipper. You have brought up some good points about the glazing and hardware. I tend to stuff my bags and I'm wondering how the hardware will hold up since it's directly attached to the canvas. I will be thinking this purchase over till Oct. 1 and decide then.

Yes, the zipper is weird. And the zipper pull! It looks like crap! lol It looks like they forgot to put the zipper pull on and just left a scrap piece of strap...hahaha. I even held it up to the sa, like "what is this???"

trumanfinn said:
Yes, the zipper is weird. And the zipper pull! It looks like crap! lol It looks like they forgot to put the zipper pull on and just left a scrap piece of strap...hahaha. I even held it up to the sa, like "what is this???"

Funny you said that, I did the same thing. The reply I got was well if something was to go wrong with the zipper it would be an easy fix.

trumanfinn - Did you see it at KOP or Saks? I really want a new ebene bag. Should I go with this portobello or NF? Thanks!

I was at the boutique in Pittsburgh. I think they're hard to compare...they are the only non structured de bags that I know of, but portobello definitely has a nice, classier feel- I have the neverfull in gm, and it doesn't feel like an every day bag to me, it's my sports mom tote! lol

carvedwords said:
Hmm now I want to know what the zipper pull looks like. I really love the bag so far from what I've seen.

Bpurse has mod shots if you go to the LV clubhouse threads! I don't know how she got the bag already but she has the GM size and there are a couple shots where you can see the zipper pull, it looks like a piece of leather sewn onto the zipper

I was at the boutique in Pittsburgh. I think they're hard to compare...they are the only non structured de bags that I know of, but portobello definitely has a nice, classier feel- I have the neverfull in gm, and it doesn't feel like an every day bag to me, it's my sports mom tote! lol

What if compare to Artsy? I love DE but couldnt wait so last month i bought prelove Mono Artsy. Now im going crazy when i see portobello esp it has a zipper !!!!

What if compare to Artsy? I love DE but couldnt wait so last month i bought prelove Mono Artsy. Now im going crazy when i see portobello esp it has a zipper !!!!

I just came back from LV store and was trying on the DE Portobello GM. I had with me the Mono Artsy MM with me. If comparing between the 2, I think the Artsy looks a lot better in terms of price and style. I was looking for a new DE shoulder bag for Fall but I will pass on the Portobello since to me it's not worth for its price. It's hard to zip and unzip when the bag is on the shoulder. To me the bag is too plain when the Artsy has very unique handle and bag charm. The price is not much difference between the Portobello GM $1500 and Artsy MM $1670 (after so many price increases).

I just came back from LV store and was trying on the DE Portobello GM. I had with me the Mono Artsy MM with me. If comparing between the 2, I think the Artsy looks a lot better in terms of price and style. I was looking for a new DE shoulder bag for Fall but I will pass on the Portobello since to me it's not worth for its price. It's hard to zip and unzip when the bag is on the shoulder. To me the bag is too plain when the Artsy has very unique handle and bag charm. The price is not much difference between the Portobello GM $1500 and Artsy MM $1670 (after so many price increases).

Thanks for in Wheeww Artsy is my first mono. Okay so now my saving back on track save for the wallet ;)

I recently saw and tried on the 2 sizes of the Portobello bag at my LV boutique. I was so disappointed - it did nothing for me. IMHO, too plain and non-descript for the price ... with so many other fabulous options out there. The one plus was the lovely, soft lining as others have mentioned. The strap is very thick, stiff, and heavy. I have tiny shoulders and it is too much for me. I am also wondering how the dark brown smooth leather will hold up to scratches and knicks? I left LV half feeling bummed out that I didn't like it and half relieved that I can cross that one off of my wish list! The oh-so-popular Neverfull is calling my name, so I think I will join the ranks and make that my 2nd LV handbag instead of Portobello. I am looking forward to reading more posts on Portobello once she hits the shelves to see what others think!

Maybe I am the odd man out, but I just saw it and fell in love. I am soo not supposed to get a new bag till next year, but I may have to somehow work around it.

In my opinion, de bags can be a little plain unless they have a bit of bling, and the portobello's brass plated hardware is just detailed and big enough to do the job. At the same time, the hardware isn't huge enough to be too in your face...brassy if you will.

The handle is thick, but I think with time it will soften and be quite comfortable as is the case with its sister, the sully.

I just love it because I have been wanting a galliera in de for the longest time but could not make up my mind when I ran across one online...this bag has some of the spirit of the galliera but is also different enough that I wouldn't feel like I was being repetitive in buying one as I have a galliera in azur already...although lord knows I have enough multiples of the same bag anyway.

I think to each his or her own...if you are on the fence, see it in person. I personally think it's beautiful.