The Mystery of my "new" (and first) Chloé

jaffa

wants more bags
O.G.
Oct 3, 2005
Yesterday I drove down to the outlets at Primm, NV to browse Neiman Marcus Last Call.

They were having a big clearance with an extra 20% off if you used your NM card. I wasn't anticipating there being much left in the handbag department, but there was actually some nice stuff. A bunch of Tory Burch, Marc Jacobs, L.A.M.B., Kooba, Matt & Nat, Cole Haan, Linea Pelle, etc. Many of them younger labels the main store in Vegas doesn't even carry.

Anyway, I had picked out a couple of potential purchases and then I came upon a shelf with some Chloé bags. There were a few more recent bags that they kept locked up behind the counter, but some previous seasons' bags were out on the shelves.

I saw a Paddington Capsule satchel. I had long had a regular Paddington on my wish list, but had yet to find one on sale even close to my price range. When the See by Chloé bags first came out last year I figured my first Chloé purchase might be one of them, but I didn't find one I liked enough, and they really seemed too expensive. I expected them to be more in the Marc by Marc Jacobs price range.

In any case, I had pushed my wish for a Paddington to the back of my mind, focusing on bags in the $300 - $500 range instead including Hayden Harnetts and Treesjes on sale, satisfying my bag cravings.

But I had a look at the Paddington anyway, and realized that with the discounts it was actually affordable! And I liked the Capsule bags because of the smaller lighter lock and the ease of access. It was black leather with a front flap pocket and two other outside pockets, I though it was an appealing choice for a first Chloé.

The price tags seemed to have been reattached, so I figured someone had purchased the bag and returned it. That was okay. Then I noticed no dustbag. I checked the three or four other Chloés and took a dustbag from one of them. There was something strange about it though. The bag had Chloé printed on it in light cream coloured letters instead of the brown I'd seen before. I checked all the bags, a Saskia, a Bay and a couple of Pearl totes. They all had this same lighter coloured lettering on the dust bags. Did Chloé make dustbags like this?

Also, on the tag the colour was stated as bleu nuit. To me the bag looked black. I tried to find better light to see the colour better but light in the store wasn't that great. No matter, can't go wrong with black, the tag might just be wrong. When I got home, I checked out the Chloé reference thread and saw mention that the Capsule bags in bleu nuit look very black and barely blue if at all. Upon examining the bag in better light at home, it still looks black to me.

I figured I may as well get it while I could. After the discounts I ended up paying about $750 for it. Today when I took out the paper stuffing and had a good look, I found that the stamped tag on the inside said 03-07-53 which I think means it was from 07, maybe fall? Then in one of the outside pockets I found evidence of the previous owner. Two business cards, a drinks reciept, and two movie ticket stubs (for the movie "Wanted") all dated July 13, 2008 and all denoting addresses in Chicago. So the bag had not only been returned but it had been used! The NM it had been returned to perhaps in Chicago, took it back with these items inside and then sent it to the outlet to be resold and somehow it ended up in Primm. Is this something NM would normally do? The bag doesn't seem worn or damaged in any way. It doesn't smell like gum or god forbid cigarettes. I think the person who used it was careful. But still, it doesn't smell new either, I don't know. Maybe I'm projecting.

My question is, do you think I have reason to be concerned about its authenticity? Has anyone heard about issues like this with merchandise that had been returned to Neiman Marcus. I'm in no way an expert on Chloé, but I'd appreciate the thoughts of any of you who are more familiar. I've posted a few pics below as well (not the greatest, but an idea).

Sorry for the long post, but I felt the need to share both my excitement and my concerns about my first Chloé with you gals.

Hi there - coming from a major department store - you are probably ok. The dustbag looks to have come from a newer season bag... USA returns policies are very forgiving, that sort of thing would never happen here in Australia :smile: I can't believe they wouldn't have checking the inside before accepting the returned bag...

If you have any doubts regarding the authenticity post adequate pictures in the proper authenticate this chloe thread...

It looks lovely - congrats on finally getting a paddington :smile:

jaffa - Hi there - well it does rather sound like this bag has been used. I think its rather 'off' for stores to accept a Return on an item which has obviously been used - i.e., cinema tickets in the pocket - and I do feel that they should check items returned closely.

Irrespective of that - the Bleu Nuit - it does appear virtually black - and therefore what you see is correct. I've had a look at the images - the inner serial/date tag and the information on the circular hangtag do correlate and I do think this bag is more than likely authentic. Its an Autumn 2007 bag.

If you are concerned at all - then post photos in the 'Authenticate This Chloe' Thread - and it can be checked for you. You'd need to post what you have now and also the inner 'Chloe' heatstamp, front of padlock and underside of the padlock.

mmmm where to start! congrats

first of all NM obviously didnt check the pockets when it was returned! this issue will be up to you, can you live with this bag knowing it has been used!

now from the serial number it looks like a 07, in that case it should have a older style dustbag but i have seen this before, i had a 07 bag with the newer dustbag and older tags i think its something department stores do sometimes!???

i had a chloe paddy capsule bag and it was a 08 it had the newer tags care cards and holograms.
im sure the authenticity is fine, but for piece of mind get the girls to check it out esp as it was a retuen.

It is very common and normal for Neiman Marcus to take returns like that! I've heard similar stories from people who bought bags from their online shop.

Posting photos on the ATC thread is your best option, but generally speaking I think your fine!

congrats on your first chloe! :tup: i got a blanc regular paddy recently second hand and when i got home, i found a hair clip, empty candy wrapper and some coins in the front pocket! i think the paddy is designed such that the pockets run really really deep... some people obviously forget that there are things still deep inside! it's very poor form of that previous buyer of your bag to have returned after using though... but i'm glad it is with a much more appreciative mommy now! :yes:

Congrats are you new Chloe - I have this bag in a deep green and love it. I did buy a Chloe Silverado hobo from Nordstrom and discovered a gross lipstick in the side pocket so it had obviously been used - I was returning it anyway and let the SA know and I don't think they really cared :sad:

It is beautiful and it looks new. It was obviously used, but probably just once. Neiman's really should check things out before putting them back on the floor, though.

It's a nice bag. I have purchased bags from dept stores that were obviously used and returned. One thing I do is check the going price on ebay for the bag. If I got it cheaper than it would have been on ebay, then I usually keep it (as long as it's in good condition). Congrats on your bag.

Thanks everyone for your responses. I feel much better now and sure that my bag is authentic. And it is in perfect condition even though it was used. So I am going to keep it. I did get a really good deal (I checked e-bay as suggested by kiss-p) and I'm so excited; Even just a week ago I thought it would be years before I would ever own a Chloé Paddington of any kind! :biggrin:

Last edited:
Congrats on your beautiful bag :woohoo:! Sorry to hear that you found all that "stuff" that indicates it was a return. I would be a tad annoyed too :pout:, but @ least she's genuine and in perfect condition. I guess just put that thought behind you and remember you got a great deal on her! @ least you didn't pay FP for a used bag (regardless of the condition-- it would be the principle!).