The Mindful BE Ladies Club

I think that 'less is more' works well for me. You know, it's funny but when I was in the hospital about ready to give birth to my twins, I was so grateful for this one basket I had filled with magazines, journals, wordfinds, etc. I was so grateful for that one basket, and I still am reminded by the fact that we sometimes love things more when other things don't clutter the way and crowd them out.

Have you ever been shopping in Mexico? You'll go through these amazing stores and there are rows and rows of pottery--shiny, all sizes as far as the eye can see. But you don't realize how beautiful the one you purchased is until you get it out of the store and standing on its own.

I think my handbags are the same way. When I have a few that I love, I enjoy them so much. However, when I get too many in my closet, the ones I love don't get appreciated.

BTW, I'm also taking this approach with things in my house. Lately, I've been making regular trips to Goodwill, clearing out stuff kids have grown out of, etc., and it has been really great.

That's a very good point! When I had so little, I would appreciate just the smallest, littlest gestures/objects whether it be a new makeup item or 20 dollar jeans. But once you have a bite of the big apple, I think appreciation tends to decline and you lose your sense of enjoying the smaller things. Now that I have so much, I don't get as much satisfaction or if I do, it's short lived. Its like an unsatiable hunger for something better and there's no end to it. It's time for me to enjoy the simplest things in life.

i also find that if i wait long enough, even sometimes only a couple weeks the burning desire fades and it isn't as important to acquire something anymore

^^ I agree Sara, I have found the same to be true.

Before I found tPF I used to buy one bag a year and carry that same bag for a year. I've always loved bags but tPF turned me into a monster! LOL

Tejasmama, glad you started this thread -- I was getting caught up in the frenzy myself and this is a great reality check. Glad that other BE gals are thinking the same thing too.

I definitely agree that less is more. My favorite go-to pieces in clothing are not necessarily the most expensive, (though some may have stretched my budget at the time), but were well-worth it because they are unique in some way and still get compliments, even several years after I bought them. I want my bags to be the same way, so I really keep to a lean, mean collection - I have six - but they are well-loved and they each serve a specific purpose. But that's also why I look for, if possible, year-round versatility with color and flexibility with style. No one bag will do it all (that's why we need a bag wardrobe) but I try to get as much mileage with mine as is reasonable.

That's my buying philosophy, and with a 13-yo daughter who's just starting to notice, I don't want to give her the message that it's all about acquiring "stuff". I hope to teach her, by example (and sometimes by my own mistakes!), how to choose wisely.

i also know that if i bought a new bag i would put away my LM. i'm just that kind of person, i don't rotate and have no desire to do so. so i'd rather just wear my LM with joy every day for as long as it pleases me and then move on accordingly. i don't need a new bag, i've got one that i adore

i also find that if i wait long enough, even sometimes only a couple weeks the burning desire fades and it isn't as important to acquire something anymore

So true, Sara! It's that waiting/cooling-off period that's saved me from making mistakes with fashion fads.

Also true-- there's joy in wearing something you absolutely adore, that fits well, and makes you feel (& look) like a million $$$. Even when it's an old thang!

The bonus is that when I do decide to make a new purchase, I don't feel guilty because it's worth it when you figure in cost per wear.

I always have a corner of my house that is devoted to charity stuff to give away. As soon as I make one delivery of old, used stuff...another pile starts growing. I'm always asking my kids to go through their closets. Less is more!

definitely. after 2 weeks i don't feel teh same way about it as i did in the beginning. i can step back and evaluate and if i REALLY want something then i will get it. i am craving a pair of super cute mary jane style shoes but i can't afford them yet so i'm putting a little bit aside each month (or i intend to once i start having some spare money each month) until i can buy them instead of spluring at one time. and then after i have the money if i decide i don't want them anymore i can use it for something else or put it back in my bank account or pay a big amount onto my student loans and reduce my debt. i find saving for things more rewarding than just snatching it up at once. it might be less exciting but i've earned it.

i try to apply that same theory to BE!

I always have a corner of my house that is devoted to charity stuff to give away. As soon as I make one delivery of old, used stuff...another pile starts growing. I'm always asking my kids to go through their closets. Less is more!

This is SO us too! I hate clutter! We have also adopted "quality over quantity" as a motto too, buy less, but purchase good quality (like BE hehehe) that will last years.

Sigh. Its hard being good when I see those new modeling pics...just not sure how the purple crash would last fashion-wise...and just can't spend that one something I might not use longer than one season...

Ditto on that Tejasmama--but if you catch me wanting any bag right now, except for the SMM in Purple Crash, you are allowed to Bump back in this forum.

All these bags are making me want more....and I need to slow down and enjoy what I have!

Ok...(deep intake of breath)....whhhhhooooooo....

I cannot even fathom the idea of a bespoke choco midi, so I'm coming here to regain focus and stay strong!! :okay:

Boy, when it rains, it pours, huh? All these bags have my mind reeling (both the ones that came in and the Fall ones posted). I think Ashley and co. must have had a whole week of packing and sending that occurred last week!

You got that right, sister!

I can tell you that if Jackie decides to do a midi in other colors, I'm going to have to tie myself to this thread for awhile because I LOVE THIS BAG!:yahoo:

TELL ME ABOUT IT!I love this bag. If they do one in chocolate I am toast. But if they wait a few months then maybe I can get it as a bday present!!

Ok...(deep intake of breath)....whhhhhooooooo....

I cannot even fathom the idea of a bespoke choco midi, so I'm coming here to regain focus and stay strong!! :okay:

Boy, when it rains, it pours, huh? All these bags have my mind reeling (both the ones that came in and the Fall ones posted). I think Ashley and co. must have had a whole week of packing and sending that occurred last week!

I know audball I am with you. If they do a LM midi in chocolate I will lose all control.

TELL ME ABOUT IT!I love this bag. If they do one in chocolate I am toast. But if they wait a few months then maybe I can get it as a bday present!!

I know audball I am with you. If they do a LM midi in chocolate I will lose all control.

I love the idea of a LM midi in chocolate with gold h/w. I normally don't like gold h/w but I'm sure it'll look beautiful with the matte brown! :love: I emailed a reply to Jackie about the dark gray LM midi but she probably sold it by the time I emailed her back. On a side note, I also asked her if she was ever thinking of making an intense turqoise bag in the future spring/summer, along the lines of fuschia or purple.