The MICHAEL KORS Astor, a Classic!

iluvmybags

& My Motos & Shoes!
O.G.
Sep 13, 2006
michael_kors_astor_large_satchel.jpg

The Michael Kors Astor is a Classic.

It was the style that put MK on the map as far as handbag designers go. Originally released for the 2005 F/W season. People began to take notice and these bags flew off the shelves! They could be seen on the arms of celebrities and "everyday" people. It was one of the first "designer bags" that was photographed on the arm of many celebrities, but with a price udnder $300, was easily available for the "average" woman. The original bags sold out quickly and were difficult to find.

The Astor is still around, although it's gone through a few changes here and there. There are different versions of the Astor - a shoulder bag, tote, various sizes of the satchel. But the original Astor Satchel remains a classic and is still widely popular.

I'm just wondering how many tPFer own this bag or have owned this bag at some point in time? I know I had one. Carried it proudly and absolutely loved it. I've owned two actually! Bought my first one at Marshall Fields (before it became Macy's!) in the trademark "Luggage" (Chestnut) color. I eventually sold that one, but eventually bought another one (same color!) when I stumbled upon one at Marshall's (a rarity back then -- you could find almost every other Michael Kors style, EXCEPT the Astor!) But along with many of my other bags, that one too ended up on the chopping block.

Sadly, I have no pics of this classic bag to share, other than the one I posted above, but I'd love to see everyone else's Astor bag. Hear the stories behind them! Was this your first "designer" bag? Do you still love the Astor as much today as you did when it first came out? Have you owned more than one? What colors? What do you think about the "modernized" Astor?

Share your stories about a classic handbag - the MICHAEL KORS ASTOR!

Last edited:
Great thread!

I love the Astor Satchel! My first one was cream colored with gold studs and I loved the color but the leather was so so stiff and I eventually rehomed it.

I had been looking for a true red bag for eons and one day while browsing the bag section at tjmaxx, I spotted a red Astor Satchel! I knew that the bag was perfect for me as far as size and style but the leather I thought would be disappointing. It wasn't!

MbMKAstorred.jpg

I've had a couple of Astor bags, but the one I have kept and have been using as an everyday bag for months now is the Astor Large Drawstring Satchel in black (I've posted comments about this bag on several threads). It's probably the best everyday bag I've ever had. I love the drawstring design, the short straps for arm wear (how I usually carry it), the long adjustable crossbody strap for shoulder wear, the black color, the silvertone HW, the studs, the tons of pockets inside, and the sturdy, durable and nearly unscratchable leather. It's versatile, comfortable and fun to carry. I also love that I bought it new at 40% off the retail price. :greengrin:

I have photos of the bag taken when it was brand new and unused, as well as some recently ones, after having used it daily for about four months. I'll go look for them.

I first saw the Astor in plum suede at Nordstrom as I was rushing through the mall one day. Much later the bag was still on my mind. I went on the hunt for it but I never saw it anywhere in suede. I was starting to think I imagined the whole thing. My sister bought me the black leather one (just like the picture in OP's post) for Christmas years ago and I absolutely LOVE it. I use it all the time and I still carry it regularly to this day. I love satchels and the size and shape of this bag is absolutely perfect for me. I love that I can even fit it over my shoulder if I need to. I found the matching pumps at my Nordstrom Rack and bought those too.

Last summer I finally spotted a suede Astor so now I know I wasn't imagining things. I still love my black leather and wouldn't ever sell it.

This one was released in black, luggage and vanilla. I had an incredibly hard time choosing!

attachment.php

attachment.php

I love this one, too--the Astor Large Chain Satchel:

AstorSatchel.png

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• AstorSatchel.png
    AstorSatchel.png
    103.3 KB · Views: 4,598
  • AstorChainSatchelLug.jpg
    AstorChainSatchelLug.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 6,041
  • AstorChainSatchelMariYellow.jpg
    AstorChainSatchelMariYellow.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 5,234
  • AstorLgDrawstringSatLug.jpg
    AstorLgDrawstringSatLug.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 5,548
  • AstorLgDrawstringSatchelVanilla.jpg
    AstorLgDrawstringSatchelVanilla.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 5,377
I own the first generation Astor Satchel in the tan color. I purchased it at Loehmann's in Manhattan in early 2007. I was shocked to see the bag in Loehmann's at all since I had just seen it on the arms of Heidi Klum and Kate Bosworth. It was on sale for $150 so I definitely grabbed one! My purchase was affirmed when a mere two days later I flicked open the latest issue of Australian Vogue and was greeted with a full page spread of Models Off Duty toting around the Astor! Over the past several years my bag has definitely darkened as it aged but I had been looking for something for so long that was chic and would age like that I didn't care. I haven't carried it for a little over a year but I will never get rid of it. About a year ago my sister and I were in Marshall's and imagine our surprise when we came across a new stash of Astor totes! These were different from mine- since my purchase I think MK has rereleased them several times as my bag has different interior, and hardware. These more recent bags definitely fit the more polished aesthetic that MK's bag have taken on since the original release of the Astor. My sister had admired my bag for years since I made the purchase so she purchased one of her own! Granted she's had hers for only a year but again the leather has broken in nicely and it's just a yummy yummy bag! If I get a chance I will definitely take some compare and contrast photos so you can see how the Astor has changed over time. And oddly enough I think mine came with a dustbag and hers didn't.

DSCN1484.jpg

DSCN1524.jpg

My astors...Luggage uptown astor tote with silver hardware and luggage astor satchel with silver hardware.
Black + Gold uptown astor...ms fancy pants;)
I even have a MK astor keyring shaped like a satchel in luggage color..I hang it on the satchel.