THE Malachite wear and tear one stop shop for information

I have a few pieces.:smile:
A LE ten motif, a 20, vintage earrings and the magic pendant.
My pieces still appear polished and I have not noticed any color changes.
I do take good care of my jewelry and store the pieces in their boxes when I finish wearing them. I never shower nor swim in my VCA.
Quite honestly, I treat the malachite just like I treat my other VCA jewelry.
The limited edition 10 motif is much older than my 20 (I purchased that when it was first released) yet they pretty much look the same.
I would not worry about purchasing a bracelet.

Hi! May I ask if you also have turquoise?
I have been waiting (and waiting) for turquoise (Vintage, not Sweets), and I would love to know if your turquoise has changed color.

The reason why I ask is that while I have been waiting for VCA, I purchased some Tiffany Peretti turquoise pieces. My cabachon ring is fine, but my earrings have changed color a bit. Hence I am curious on your experience if you have turquoise and how often you wear it, three times a week, three times a month?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

I have been waiting (and waiting) for turquoise (Vintage, not Sweets), and I would love to know if your turquoise has changed color.

The reason why I ask is that while I have been waiting for VCA, I purchased some Tiffany Peretti turquoise pieces. My cabachon ring is fine, but my earrings have changed color a bit. Hence I am curious on your experience if you have turquoise and how often you wear it, three times a week, three times a month?

My first VCA purchase was a turquoise 20 motif set in YG. I later added the vintage earrings.
I purchased the sweets set in yg for one of my daughters.
I wear my turquoise most often during the Summer. So far, no color change.
Since I have other 20's in various stones I rotate them based on what I am wearing.

I have both VCA and Tiffany (Peretti) turquoise. The Tiffany turquoise has definitely changed color over time and the VCA has not.

If there's a thread like this already I can delete, but I haven't really been able to find a lot of malachite info in one place. I go back and forth on investing in malachite even though it's my favorite VCA stone based on what I read about wear and tear. Some people say they have absolutely no issues, some would never buy it again, etc. Was wanting a thread just about malachite pieces as far as when the piece was bought, the amount of wear it gets, are you extremely careful with your piece, and what the piece looks like now as far as any specific issues you've seen with the stone. Thought this might help others in the same bought about whether or not to buy their dream piece.

If there's a thread like this already I can delete, but I haven't really been able to find a lot of malachite info in one place. I go back and forth on investing in malachite even though it's my favorite VCA stone based on what I read about wear and tear. Some people say they have absolutely no issues, some would never buy it again, etc. Was wanting a thread just about malachite pieces as far as when the piece was bought, the amount of wear it gets, are you extremely careful with your piece, and what the piece looks like now as far as any specific issues you've seen with the stone. Thought this might help others in the same bought about whether or not to buy their dream piece.

I am a huge fan of the Malachite pieces, I have a 2013 limited edition pendant, a Magic long necklace and a vintage ring with a diamond, those I love so much and they look as new as the day I've got them, nothing changed, however my 5 motif vintage bracelet is ruined :sad: the stones are very cloudy and lost their shine, I believe it is from contact with water or sweat, I sadly did not know or had any idea on how to take care of it. I would highly recommend the rings, the earrings, the pendants but not the bracelet sadly! Unless you take really good care of it! That's my experience, I don't know if anyone else would agree though.

I was just looking at my bracelet and it really looks terrible, no more shine, so cloudy, sad looking bracelet but I still wear it though. I did not have the same problem with my onyx bracelet and I had them both for 2-3 years now.

I hope that helps? :amuse:

Thank you for the response! Can you post a picture of your bracelet? I really want the bracelet so I'm sad to hear you've had issues. I don't how you wouldn't come in contact with sweat or a little water with a bracelet...so maybe it's just totally inevitable that the bracelet is going to not wear well. I was holding out hope that maybe folks had swam or showered in them and that's what changed the stones..but sounds like just normal wear will do it. I have the MOP bracelet and LOVE it. I really want to add some malachite. The magic pendant or earrings would be awesome as well. I just don't wear necklaces regularly...more of a bracelet, rings, and earrings girl.

I am a huge fan of the Malachite pieces, I have a 2013 limited edition pendant, a Magic long necklace and a vintage ring with a diamond, those I love so much and they look as new as the day I've got them, nothing changed, however my 5 motif vintage bracelet is ruined :sad: the stones are very cloudy and lost their shine, I believe it is from contact with water or sweat, I sadly did not know or had any idea on how to take care of it. I would highly recommend the rings, the earrings, the pendants but not the bracelet sadly! Unless you take really good care of it! That's my experience, I don't know if anyone else would agree though.

I was just looking at my bracelet and it really looks terrible, no more shine, so cloudy, sad looking bracelet but I still wear it though. I did not have the same problem with my onyx bracelet and I had them both for 2-3 years now.

I hope that helps? :amuse:

Reactions: ayshaa

I finally bought a Malachite necklace after YEARS of going back & forth about it. Always bypassing it because of all the reviews on here about it being high maintenance.
I've had mine for a few months now and I wear it fairly often. No issues so far and I even washed it once with soap and water because it accidentally got sprayed with hairspray...still looks great and no damage noted.
It's my second favorite VCA piece after my 2018 Holiday pendant. The green is just so beautiful and Zen to look at. So very happy with my necklace.

Wow! You washed it with soap and water with no damage..that's great to know.

I finally bought a Malachite necklace after YEARS of going back & forth about it. Always bypassing it because of all the reviews on here about it being high maintenance.
I've had mine for a few months now and I wear it fairly often. No issues so far and I even washed it once with soap and water because it accidentally got sprayed with hairspray...still looks great and no damage noted.
It's my second favorite VCA piece after my 2018 Holiday pendant. The green is just so beautiful and Zen to look at. So very happy with my necklace.

Reactions: ayshaa
Wow! You washed it with soap and water with no damage..that's great to know.

If you Google "how to clean Malachite", almost every single page says it can be washed with gentle soap and water. Just dry it right away and polish to a shine. I think the damage most people are seeing are from the chemicals in their perfume, hair spray and lotion.
Also, the bracelet is more prone to being banged around and malachite is a soft stone so I personally would not invest on a malachite bracelet.

Thank you for the response! Can you post a picture of your bracelet? I really want the bracelet so I'm sad to hear you've had issues.

I really want to add some malachite. The magic pendant or earrings would be awesome as well. I just don't wear necklaces regularly...more of a bracelet, rings, and earrings girl.

Of course you can still choose to get the bracelet no matter what if you love it, it is one of the most beautiful bracelet I own! But just be very careful with it. I used to wear it at least 5-6 times a week for the past 2.5 years now! I am even thinking of either taking it for a polish if it'll help or just get a new one and pay more attention to the wear and tear this time. :doh:

IMG_6162.jpg

The side where it touches my skin is really ruined, the other side is just cloudy. Malachite is full of pores and it easy to chemical react I guess.. I still love the malachite so much though.

Please don't let my case put you off, really I think it is a beautiful stone and really elegant, and looks rich in color, if you love green this is heaven! I might just be one of the unlucky cases :sad:

And like Bisoux78 it might be just the perfume, lotions chemicals reaction..

Of course you can still choose to get the bracelet no matter what if you love it, it is one of the most beautiful bracelet I own! But just be very careful with it. I used to wear it at least 5-6 times a week for the past 2.5 years now! I am even thinking of either taking it for a polish if it'll help or just get a new one and pay more attention to the wear and tear this time. :doh:

View attachment 4738052

The side where it touches my skin is really ruined, the other side is just cloudy. Malachite is full of pores and it easy to chemical react I guess.. I still love the malachite so much though.

Please don't let my case put you off, really I think it is a beautiful stone and really elegant, and looks rich in color, if you love green this is heaven! I might just be one of the unlucky cases :sad:

Can't you just have the motifs replaced instead of getting a brand new bracelet?

Loving all the malachite btw. :heart:

Ok I see what you're saying on some wear although it's still gorgeous. I can see where it's more matte now however i love the dark color of the stone....assume it may have darkened from when you first bought it? I've seen some lighter green and then the darker green...love the dark color. Thank you for the pics!

View attachment 4738052

Ok I see what you're saying on some wear although it's still gorgeous. I can see where it's more matte now however i love the dark color of the stone....assume it may have darkened from when you first bought it? I've seen some lighter green and then the darker green...love the dark color. Thank you for the pics!

I think it has always been dark green, I believe it depends on the piece, sometime it comes light and sometime is darker, I remember when I was at the boutique I chose the darkest one there. I was just watching some videos with me wearing it in June of last year and it was sparkling nice! I don't know what happened and what made it go cloudy like that honestly. I remember not removing it at a nails salon on few visit which maybe the cause since they spray alcohol and use thick lotions :sad::wtf:

It is a beautiful piece nonetheless, I have the Magic pendant as well in Malachite and that is still amazing and shiny.

IMG_6166.jpg

Last edited: