< The Longchamp Madeleine >

Dec 17, 2013
Combining a contemporary design and classic style, this top handle bag has a streamlined handle with curved lines and is embellished with refined details. Its large flap, adorned w READ LESSith the iconic signature bamboo clasp, opens to reveal an ideal layout for organising everyday objects. Longchamp Madeleine pays another traditional Longchamp tribute to the Parisian imagination. Located between Avenue des Champs-Elysées and Rue Saint-Honoré, the La Madeleine district is home to embassies, large institutions and art and luxury shops. The Longchamp Madeleine woman likes cultural visits, unique items and owning an object with a story. Her bag is a part of her, like her close friend who she takes everywhere. She likes to write, and collects moments and memories accumulated through outings and meetings. These models wear the iconic Roseau closure as a signature. Their clean-cut edges and leather saddlery-style stitches showcase the brand’s leather goods know-how. The young bull hide creates a contemporary look while giving the graphic, streamlined shapes an extra softness and sensuality.

Debuted in Fall/Winter 2017.

Black
Longchamp-Madeleine-Bag-4.jpg

Khaki
Longchamp-Madeleine-Bag-6.jpg

Longchamp-Madeleine-Bag-3.jpg

Longchamp-Madeleine-Bag-6.jpg

Last edited:
I have been intrigued by the Madeleine since I first saw it in the AW 2017 photos, even with its awkward front pocket hehe. I find the top-handle version a little difficult to handle and feel that there are too many compartments. Hence, when the Crossbody version was released this season, I didn't think much about it until @catsinthebag one day asked if it had an external back pocket. Since I hadn't visited the boutique in a couple of weeks, I decided to go check it out.

I tried out the Crossbody in Honey and found the strap too long and noted that it didn't have an external back pocket. However, it is easier to handle compared to the top-handle version, thanks to the crossbody strap. It's also got only 1 compartment and is surprisingly roomy! At that time, I failed to notice that the strap is adjustable until I saw some pics that @frenziedhandbag sent to me and double checked with the boutique near me which sent me a pic of the Petal one. So to cut a long story short, I returned to the boutique to make sure the strap could be adjusted to suit me (I'm 5'1") and I now have a Madeleine Crossbody in Petal to call my own :biggrin:

Today was my Madeleine's maiden voyage to lunch. I couldn't fuss much over my new bag as I had company and was not supposed to be preoccupied with my bag. My preliminary feel is that this clasp is easier to operate than the one on my Mademoiselle Hobo and Heritage Crossbody. Because of its handy size too, I can support the base with my fingers and push the lock with the same hand for 1-handed operations if necessary! Due to its roominess, I was able to fit my compact Quadri wallet, umbrella, LC sunglasses, phone and ID tag :biggrin:

Sadly, lunch ended too soon and it was back to the office where my new Madeleine is residing for now while I decide if I'd like to shorten the strap just a tiny bit or if it's really the right length :biggrin: Tomorrow I hope to go for a longer walk during lunch to get more used to the bag and decide on the strap.

So far I've only taken 1 picture but hope to take more :biggrin: The protective plastic is still on the hardware

Attachments

• 1521641820171.JPEG
    1521641820171.JPEG
    183.7 KB · Views: 1,086
Recently I actually ordered a deeply discounted khaki Madeleine from fall 2017 (the small version of the top handle tote). But Bloomies sent me the wrong bag and I took it as a sign that it wasn't meant to be, lol! I love the khaki color, and while the original Madeleine's front pocket has been widely disparaged here, I go back and forth on that, sometimes I feel it's alright and sometimes I agree it's too awkward. One thing I do like about the Madeleine top handle totes is the generous shoulder drop length on the handle, making it really easy to throw over your shoulder. I like the design of the larger Madeleine Tribu this season--pocketless on the front, but with the long strap attached on the sides, not to the top handle (see below). Maybe in future seasons I'd be open to one of those, particularly less color-blocky versions, or the small Madeleine crossbody. (Btw the strap adjusts on those from 22"-25" inches I've been told). I tried the Madeleine closure once in the boutique and found it difficult, although I didn't give it much of a chance to be honest.

Anyway, congrats are in order for @SmokieDragon! :clap: Your pink Madeleine is a bold color choice for you, isn't it? I hope you enjoy the fresh springy color in the months ahead. :smile:

IMG_7917.jpg

The Madeleine crossbody caught my eye with its clean lines and very little hardware (bonus: silver hw!). However, I soon dismissed it as I recall reading that the lock was not easy to manage. Then came the discussion with @SmokieDragon and the fact that she found the lock easier to manage reignited my interest in the bag. Two days ago, I gave it a try and was pleasantly surprised that it was;
> super spacious
> very light
> somewhat structured but still remains soft to the touch
> has an adjustable strap
> very comfortable as a crossbody
> easy to open and close the lock with one hand

With no "buts" for this bag, I came home and placed my order with SPS, just in time to utilise an offer code for 25% off. I was intrigued by Honey but sadly, it was way lighter as compared with online pics. I will share more pics of mine when it reaches me.

Khaki is so beautiful and sorry that you received a wrong bag. I believe things happen for a reason. Perhaps another khaki for F/W 2018 or 2019 is on its way to you.

Thanks. Bloomies does have some khaki Madeleines left in their system, and there are others available on the secondary market, but the mixup just gave me time to reconsider and admit to myself that I like the color more rather than the style. Looking forward to your reveal though. :tup: I seriously considered the honey Madeleine crossbody before deciding it’s a no for me.