The Loewe Puzzle

Has anyone noticed a change in Loewe leather quality? I have a puzzle that I purchased (tan, smooth calfskin) in 2021 that I adore so much that I bought the same style in black (online from Saks). Sadly the calfskin this time feels markedly different, very rough and not very luxe at all. Perhaps a bad batch, but still disappointing.
This reminds me of when I took my husband window-shopping some time ago and he was baffled at the way puzzle bags look (to his eyes). I remember we were looking at some minis and smalls, and he said the leather doesn't feel like the one I have (which is a small puzzle bag from 2018/2019. It's the only bag that he ever shows his interest in from my collection, to a point where he would take the time to examine it closely, touch and feel the leather :biggrin:). I personally feel like it might have been just a matter of a worn bag vs brand-new bags, but who knows. A comparison side by side of each version would be brilliant!

Has anyone noticed a change in Loewe leather quality? I have a puzzle that I purchased (tan, smooth calfskin) in 2021 that I adore so much that I bought the same style in black (online from Saks). Sadly the calfskin this time feels markedly different, very rough and not very luxe at all. Perhaps a bad batch, but still disappointing.

My Oct 2021 Tan Puzzle feels smoother than my Jan 2022 Mini Puzzle in mint with soot sprites (Spirited Away collection). The latter feels a bit dry and sandy on the handle. But I thought that was simply because it’s LE and a different batch.

Hi all! I'm currently visiting Japan and considering purchasing the small puzzle bag in black.

At the Loewe boutique I visited, they only had the black bag in a smoother leather (I believe it was in the classic calfskin vs satin based on the prices I'm seeing on the Japanese Loewe website-bit of a language barrier at the shop to explain the type of leather). I saw other colours of the bag came in a pebbled leather (soft grained calfskin?) which is more appealing to me as I have a toddler and want something as durable as possible, but they said black only comes in this smoother leather. Is this true in other countries as well? For those who have the classic calfskin, how does it hold up?

Reactions: CrackBerryCream
Hi all! I'm currently visiting Japan and considering purchasing the small puzzle bag in black.

At the Loewe boutique I visited, they only had the black bag in a smoother leather (I believe it was in the classic calfskin vs satin based on the prices I'm seeing on the Japanese Loewe website-bit of a language barrier at the shop to explain the type of leather). I saw other colours of the bag came in a pebbled leather (soft grained calfskin?) which is more appealing to me as I have a toddler and want something as durable as possible, but they said black only comes in this smoother leather. Is this true in other countries as well? For those who have the classic calfskin, how does it hold up?
I have the tan in the classic calfskin (prefer the look and colour): I used it regularly for a year and it still looks great. Slouchier in comparison to new, but I only have one small scratch under the flap and no idea how it got there. The corners have almost no wear, only the edge glazing shows a tiny bit.

Reactions: Indiana

I have both types of leather in the puzzles and they’ve held up really well. I’d say the pebbled one slouches more than the classic , but that’s about it. ive used both regilalry for more than a year, no scratches or stains. They’re awesome bags, and yes black only comes in classic leather and satin calf.

Please do not worry about the smooth calfskin!! I used to have one in black and even snow/rain couldn't destroy it; used it for work bag, gym bag (I had the large size). I have since retired it and eventually sold it, but only because I'm drawn to colors more. I now have the small size in lighter color as my daily bag and didn't treat it any different. You won't be disappointed!

I've seen and touched the pebbled version in-store but I personally love the tactile experience of the classic/smooth calfskin more; the leather is so supple and soft to the touch, yet thick and durable. I mean, where else would you get a gorgeous, hard-wearing, smooth leather handbag? I feel that with pebbled leather, you could find another brand that does bags equally beautiful.

Well, I bit the bullet! My new small puzzle in black (classic calfskin). I love that the leather on this one has quite a bit of texture like the pebbled leather ones. I planned to buy it for myself but my husband ended up getting it for me as a gift for everything I've done being a new mom (we have a 16mo girl now!). I'd been looking at other bags for quite some time now (Celine belt bag was at the top of my list) because I was afraid the puzzle was "trendy" but I realize it suits my lifestyle and style the most. I love that it can be worn casual and is classic with just that little bit of edge.

I bought it at the Mitsukoshi department store in Ginza, Tokyo. They had an extra 5% discount for foreigners along with tax free (10% savings) so it came to about $3500CAD when it's $5100CAD after taxes here!

Question for those who live in wet climates (I think I saw a couple Vancouverites here??) did you apply any kind of rain repellant to it? Also any suggestions for internal organizers? I read some are taller and keep the bag super boxy-I want to maintain the structure of the bottom but still keep a bit of the slouch on top.

IMG_0091.jpg

IMG_0092.jpg

IMG_0093.jpg

Well, I bit the bullet! My new small puzzle in black (classic calfskin). I love that the leather on this one has quite a bit of texture like the pebbled leather ones. I planned to buy it for myself but my husband ended up getting it for me as a gift for everything I've done being a new mom (we have a 16mo girl now!). I'd been looking at other bags for quite some time now (Celine belt bag was at the top of my list) because I was afraid the puzzle was "trendy" but I realize it suits my lifestyle and style the most. I love that it can be worn casual and is classic with just that little bit of edge.

I bought it at the Mitsukoshi department store in Ginza, Tokyo. They had an extra 5% discount for foreigners along with tax free (10% savings) so it came to about $3500CAD when it's $5100CAD after taxes here!

Question for those who live in wet climates (I think I saw a couple Vancouverites here??) did you apply any kind of rain repellant to it? Also any suggestions for internal organizers? I read some are taller and keep the bag super boxy-I want to maintain the structure of the bottom but still keep a bit of the slouch on top.

View attachment 5664306

View attachment 5664307

View attachment 5664308
Beautiful and congratulations on a stunning choice! I’ve not used a protectant on my Loewe bags. Don’t seem to need any. I do use a felt organizer inside my small.