The Lion King - The Musical

eskimo*gem

Jun 18, 2007
I go to New York next week with my Mum, and she really wants to see the Lion King whilst there.
Is it worth a watch?
Anybody recommend a better show?

Also, where is best to purchase tickets from? Is it worth the risk and chancing it at the tkts booth in Times Square? Or is it a better idea to purchase tickets online before we go?

I'm so sorry, but I really can't help you :sad: I hope someone will be able to!
I've been to New York when I was 3, that was like 11 years ago... lol I hardly remember anything.
I've heard that it's a really good musical though! Maybe check out some reviews online if no one is able to help you out? :smile:

I saw The Lion King in DC. The opening number brought tears to my eyes. I literally could not hold back the tears from streaming down my face. My husband made fun of me but it was just a sensory overload of sound and color and music...it was AMAZING.

I really really loved it. The only part i didn't fully enjoy was when they sang "Can You Feel the Love Tonight". It was a bit boring for me, but the guy who played Simba couldn't sing as well as the others so it was a bit distracting. ;)

I highly recommend seeing it, especially if you loved the movie!

The costumes are INSANE.

I probably be the only one but i didnt think the lion was that amazing. i was really looking forward to it, even bought the tickets before i left for it so i can guaranteed a seat and i dont know what it is... apparently the wicked is meant to be really good. i would love to see that in new york! i seen the phantom of the opera and i really like that..what about that?

i never bought tickets at the ticket booth in times square but i think its cheaper as its last minute. i like to book in advance as i always have an idea in what i want to see incase theres none left

I love love love the Lion King. Of course, it's a personal thing, but I saw it in Toronto and absolutely loved it. If you chose not to see it, I would definitely say do not waste your money on Avenue Q. I completely hated it.

As for where to buy tickets from, every time I go to New York I get them the day of from the Theatre Development Fund TKTS booth. I have never had a problem getting tickets for the shows I want, and you get fairly substantial discounts just for waiting in line for a little bit in the morning. Have fun!

I saw The Lion King in DC. The opening number brought tears to my eyes. I literally could not hold back the tears from streaming down my face. My husband made fun of me but it was just a sensory overload of sound and color and music...it was AMAZING.

I really really loved it. The only part i didn't fully enjoy was when they sang "Can You Feel the Love Tonight". It was a bit boring for me, but the guy who played Simba couldn't sing as well as the others so it was a bit distracting. ;)

I highly recommend seeing it, especially if you loved the movie!

The costumes are INSANE.

I completely agree. I saw it at the New Amsterdam in NYC about 10 years ago....my jaw literally dropped through out the performance, I was in such awe....

I saw it in London and really liked it, but a big part of that was enjoying my children's wide-eyed wonder at the spectacle. For me, there is much more to enjoy on Broadway (I am in the UK but travel to the USA often and love musical theatre). I would cite In The Heights, Gypsy, Legally Blonde and Wicked for starters. I am sure if you go to the LK though, you will adore it - it is hard to resist.

i saw it here in nyc thought it was great. it's really amazing how they can pull off something like the lion king (which is a cartoon with no human characters) into a broadway musical.

i also saw mary poppins... didn't like it at all. too many skipped and changes in scenes from the actual movie. just didn't seem polished and well thought out enough.

Another Ditto to this:
I saw The Lion King in DC. The opening number brought tears to my eyes. I literally could not hold back the tears from streaming down my face...I highly recommend seeing it, especially if you loved the movie!

The costumes are INSANE.

I saw The Lion King when they came to Seattle about 4 years ago. I :heart:d it!

I saw it in London and it was amazing !. I seriously cannot express how amazing it was. I wont tell you too much but its for adults too and the animals come into the audience. I was just sat there and a huge elephant nearly knocked me out of my seat. :tup: