The life I know is over..............

I am so sorry, that has to be so difficult, especially since it is the total opposite end of the country...my father has lived in the Washington, DC area since I was 6 (I am now 23), and I am in the Detroit area, so I know how tough it is to be away from close family and such.

On the bright side, since my dad is so close to Baltimore, I have been there dozens of times and it is a great city! Inner Harbor and Fells Point are great areas for young people to explore and there is always something fun going on. As stated earlier, you aren't far from DC, which is a wonderful area with tons to do. I absolutely love DC--there are tons of cultural activities, people are always out and about, and it is way cleaner than New York. I have never been to California so I can't compare the two, but the Baltimore/DC area is really a nice place. The only downsides that I can see:

Baltimore-There are some pretty seedy neighborhoods so use caution, particularly at night (but hey, I am from Detroit). Traffic is a pain in the butt.

DC- Again, traffic sucks. DC and its suburbs are ridiculously expensive, but you won't really need to worry about that, I guess.

Oh, and yes, the humidity is high, and may cause a few bad hair days, but I don't think the past few summers have been too horrible.

It will certainly be a tough change at first, but just stay open-minded about everything and remember that nothing is ever permanent (you can always move back to Sacremento when you are a little older). Stay strong and just consider it to be a new adventure.

Baltimore can be fun.. There is some good shopping at the Inner harbor and a nice place to hang out at. Wow, what a big adjustment for you, and I am sure quite scary, however you may come across some great new opportunities. Although it may take some time, I am sure everything will come into place.

You will absolutely love the east coast! Baltimore area is so fun and so much shopping. DC is about less than half hour from Baltimore, Philadelphia is near, and NYC is a few hours away. You really will love it!
It is a big change, but you can experience a new part of the country, and once you get a few years older, you have the freedom to move anywhere.
I am sorry for what you are going through right now, I know it must be tough for you, but stay positive. Good luck!

I'm sorry that this is happening to you and that you don't like it. There are lots of beautiful things about Maryland in general. In fact, I'm moving there in a few years after I get married. I will be leaving everything I've built up here in PA for a life in MD with my current BF. That, to me, is worth it. Maybe that's why your mom wants to move there, cause she's going to be happier there.

You can take this as an opportunity, see it as a chance to start fresh and build a life somewhere else by making the most out of it. Or you can sit and sulk there but in the end if you do and your mother gives in and you guys move back.....will she be happy? Do you really want that?

Why not give it a shot? If you don't really like it, maybe you can make arrangements to live with your grandparents during the schoolyear or something. Just remember that a lot of other people are going through the same thing as you so you are not alone at all. Good luck.

I just sent you a PM :smile:

I lived in Maryland (Annapolis) for 5 years and am very familiar with Baltimore, the areas to live in, and the schools. Like I said in my PM, there are some nice areas of Baltimore to live in, and there are some pretty seedy areas....But all cities have that!

I sorry to hear that *hugs* but u need to stay positive for your mom and believe me once u move and see ur mom happy im sure u will adjust quickly and ur mom will be there for you to help you go through the change :smile:

goodluck sweetie and keep us posted.

I just sent you a PM :smile:

I lived in Maryland (Annapolis) for 5 years and am very familiar with Baltimore, the areas to live in, and the schools. Like I said in my PM, there are some nice areas of Baltimore to live in, and there are some pretty seedy areas....But all cities have that!

We are almost neighbors, I live AA County, in Crofton. I was out shopping your way yesterday.

I lived in Baltimore county for 5 years, my daughter still goes up and spends the summer with her dad.

As with any city there are areas that you do not want to go in to.

From what I remember, The Inner Harbor/ Camden area is nice, but past it and Little Italy is drug and crime ridden.

Nice communities to live in a Towson and Belair and the White Marsh Mall area. That is where I lived. My daughter's father lives in Chase now and her grandparents live in Essex. I always loved Annapolis, but its further out.

I miss the locality of Baltimore. You have all the sports and entertainment that comes with a large downtown. You're 3 hours from Ocean City, MD, (incidently, one of the most family friendly beaches in the country),1 hour from D.C., 2 hours from Philly and in PA are the Poconos for skiiing. Western Maryland is gorgeous too. Harpers Ferry, WV is a cool place for history buffs. If you boat, you there's always the Chesapeake Bay. The bay is ridden with little islands that you can boat to and camp out on.

You can hop on the train and be in NYC in 3 to 4 hours.

Don't forget UTZ pototo chips and CRAB SEASON!!

It's actually a great place to live, "Hon"!!

I know it seems difficult and overwhelming right now... but you'll get through it. Just try to stay positive! And if you really hate it there, your mom has given you other options. It won't be so bad, maybe you'll even love it once you're there. Cheer up. :flowers:

I'm so sorry to hear this. Moving to a new environment is never easy. Studies had shown that four of the most stressful event for a person are: loss/departure of a loved one, end of a relationship, start/end of a career, and change of environment. Please hang in there! Everything will work out for the better in the long run, see this as an opportunity to make new friends while keeping the old:flowers:

I'm moving to Maryland :crybaby: My mother is getting a divorce and the love of her life happens to live in Baltimore. My stepfather and her have been married for 6 years and this is a huge shift for me (I'm 14 and just started as a freshman- my Dad lives in Idaho so that's not a problem) I just can't believe that within a year I'll no longer live in same neighborhood, have the same friends, and be 3,000 miles away from my grandparents. I realize that my mother will be much happier in the long run, but I can't help but feel that I would like to go on with my life as it has since elementary school. I know this is a lot to dump on everyone but I really need some encouragement- I'm starting to break down under the stress and pressure of trying to keep my mother's spirits' up. So, can anyone tell me anything good about Baltimore? I've done little bit of searching and am not liking what I see: a per-person income $7,000 lower than where I currently live and one of the highest murder rates in the country. So, if anyone has any advice or can shed any positive light on my new home I'd really appreciate it. :crybaby:

Don't worry about the small stuff, Baltimore is AWESOME! You are going to love living on the eastern part of the U.S. Afterall, you mentioned something that caught my eye - $7000 less than the average person living where you live. Who cares? Do you work? So does this really reflect you? No? There is tons of money in Baltimore -more "OLD" money than the "NEW" money I am sure you are used too. Also, you will be so close to New York; Washington, D.C.; Georgetow, MD; Annapolis, MD, etc... - you may be skeptical now, but you will love it there! Best of luck to you with you move......

I live right smack in the middle of DC and Baltimore, in Montgomery County--you will learn what this is once you get here. I remember moving from Idaho when I was six and was so upset about moving to Maryland. All I ever told everyone was how wonderful Idaho was--keep in mind I was very little at the time. Now I will tell you I can't imagine living anywhere else but Maryland. I absolutely love the east coast and all that it provides. I think you will find that both Baltimore and DC are very unique cities, and hopefully you will grow to love your new environment.

Best of luck!!!

I know that this is awful right now, but I agree with Megs...I think this will make you a stronger person in life. Life is all about change...new friends, new job, new home...I believe that everything happens for a reason, and maybe there is some reason that you are meant to be in Baltimore!

I sorry to hear that *hugs* but u need to stay positive for your mom and believe me once u move and see ur mom happy im sure u will adjust quickly and ur mom will be there for you to help you go through the change :smile:

goodluck sweetie and keep us posted.

I found this to a very thoughtful reply. You and your mom will be together and the two of you will help each other out! The two of you can explore and learn together. Sounds like you and your mom have a good relationship and I am certain she will be mindful of your sadness and anxiety as you will be of hers. :heart: