The journey to my first new Louis.

katieny

O.G.
Jun 15, 2010
This is my first time starting a thread so please bear with me. I am a little nervous.
I have been wishing for a brand new bag for over a year. I have 4 pre-loved, but there is so much stress concerning authenticity that I wanted to go for it. No stress, no worries. Ha!

Summer 2010: I started saving! I was half way there. It was time to pick out the bag. I thought, read the forum, and lo and behold it was August and suddenly there was a shortage!! Every time I checked the bag I wished for was out of stock. :sad:

Late fall 2010: I put Louis on my Christmas wish list.
But, the DH starts worrying about the taxes due at the end of the year. I can't do that to him. I did not want him to walk into the boutique and experience L.V. sticker shock for this first ever brand new to me bag.
December 2010: Two of the kids need tires and car repairs two weeks before the holiday. So I raided my savings to buy gifts for the DH for Christmas. Totally worth it!

So... I put it out of my mind. I quit checking the forum, I quit stalking the website. It was time to move on to other brands. Hello, Michael Kors.
But still Louie lurks.
More to continue....

12-25-2010 The gifts are opened. I am thrilled with my vintage slide bracelet and tdf Waterford vase.
But wait.... one more gift. Out comes a gift bag in a color I recognize.. Brown with a wonderful name on the front. Could it be? :yahoo:

Nope! Inside is a catalog with a comment from DH saying "I went to the store, but I didn't know what to get."
I loved my gifts and internally I was thrilled knowing he would have bought me the purse I have been dreaming of.

January 2011. I check over the bank statement each month to make sure we do not have any unauthorized charges. Turns out he could have bought a purse for the $ he spent. He is super generous and works so hard to give me a happy holiday.
Well, I have learned my lesson and now I know that I will get one if I ask for it.

Fast forward to this month. The lure of Louie will not be diminished. I am happy with my other bags, but there is something so charming about L.V. I spy them everywhere and I begin again stalking the website and reading the forum. I am dismayed by the price increase but I will not be thwarted this time. I can't wait to have my first reveal.
I have learned my lesson and I will get one before August in case of another shortage.

April and May are full of occasions for me. Anniversary, Mother's Day and my birthday all fall within three weeks. It is time to let the DD know that I want one thing for all three. She will do her work and pass the word on to the husband. However, the one I wanted doesn't seem like a good idea. I heard from tpf members that there are problems with the handles cracking and that they hurt the shoulders when worn. Not to mention that they are open and anyone could help themselves to my wallet. Arrggh! What to do?

I had it picked out. I did all the research and marked it in the catalog that I conveniently left out. But, the DD thought I should get a different size. Really? Now I felt compelled to try them on at Neiman's or at the store. But, I had confidence that my dear ones could figure it out and surprise me with the bag of my dreams.

I thought I would get the bag for my anniversary. I was excited thinking about all the outfits I could put together with my new bag as the crown jewel. Plus, I would have it for all the special spring events ahead.
I could not wait.
The morning went slow. I kept waiting for gift exchanging time. Finally, I took the bull by the horns and gave him his gift at 10:00 p.m.
I waited all day. I planned my outfit for the museum and dinner to go with my new purse.
So much for my cute outfit and my new shoes!
Did I get it?

Nope!
I got a brown bag but no L.V. bag. It was a bag from one of our local fashion boutiques. What?
In it was a purse, a fabric, quilted, tote from a well know mid-western maker. Cute? yes! Louis? no. (This bag has become my new school tote.)
But, he had me dig through all the pockets and woo-hoo, cash!:biggrin:

Bad news. DH looked on the website and the size I was thinking about was out of stock. Again?
I was not happy.