The JADE thread!

Those here that are lucky enough to collect while living in Asia, is it hard or unusual to find icy/watery very translucent type A bangles? I would imagine going to a store to see them in person must be so much fun.

Jadeite is so unusual where I live that the other day I had a clerk comment on my jade bangle and I was in shock she knew what it was. I said, "thankyou! you know what this is!?" I didn't mean to be rude, just was amazed. Jade is very unusual here in rural Virginia. Asian population makes up less than maybe 2%. So thankful for the internet.

Don’t we all! hahaha. I am still going back to the older pages of this thread and someone suggested they swap out their bangles every month so each one has their time to shine. I love that idea!
I agree. My problem is I never wear my Jadeite bangles as much as I wear my nephrite bangles. Although I do wear more Jadeite necklaces, so I guess it’s kind of even lol :smile:

I agree. My problem is I never wear my Jadeite bangles as much as I wear my nephrite bangles. Although I do wear more Jadeite necklaces, so I guess it’s kind of even lol :smile:
Jade is meant to be worn and nourished! Please show your jadeite bangles some love. Alternatively, if you don’t wear them much at all you can consider selling them to offset the cost of your jadeite necklaces a bit. I’ve always thought of selling the green bangle I have on now because it’s a bit big but I feel the positive energy from it and it’s hard to part with, especially since it’s my first bangle. I’ve only know bangles to be permanent so that’s probably why I never take mine off.

Jade is meant to be worn and nourished! Please show your jadeite bangles some love. Alternatively, if you don’t wear them much at all you can consider selling them to offset the cost of your jadeite necklaces a bit. I’ve always thought of selling the green bangle I have on now because it’s a bit big but I feel the positive energy from it and it’s hard to part with, especially since it’s my first bangle. I’ve only know bangles to be permanent so that’s probably why I never take mine off.
I would have to have many many wrist to do that lol. I also collect nephrite and Jadeite cabs and pendants. I do not sell them, so my children will have deal with all that as they wish :smile:

When they talk about water in a bangle, someone should keep this photo in mind - it looks absolutely wet!
I must say, thank you! Although I have to admit, the light in that Target was serving that day The 49 mm bangle is actually an oval. And the two sides are different colors. Here is the other side D1720492-703F-4686-B95B-5CDCD9DA4DFA.jpeg

Now, the bangle doesn’t always look like this. Most of the times, in the sun, it looks much greener. For example, like this.

E50A1F23-458A-4462-BEA7-7FDDBB1CA708.jpeg

I still don’t have a name for this bangle, which is sad considering how often I wear it. If anyone has any ideas, I’m all ears.

Those here that are lucky enough to collect while living in Asia, is it hard or unusual to find icy/watery very translucent type A bangles? I would imagine going to a store to see them in person must be so much fun.

Jadeite is so unusual where I live that the other day I had a clerk comment on my jade bangle and I was in shock she knew what it was. I said, "thankyou! you know what this is!?" I didn't mean to be rude, just was amazed. Jade is very unusual here in rural Virginia. Asian population makes up less than maybe 2%. So thankful for the internet.
I’d say it depends. I don’t live where I can find Jadeite in stores. I have to get my bangles online. It depends on what you consider watery. For example, a very dark color bangle can be watery, even if it’s not very transparent. Most of mine are like this. I will always choose watery look and texture over color. However, I know some people that will only collect light colored watery bangles, because that is watery to them. Additionally, they will prefer translucency, which will also factor into the cost. A watery translucent bangle, will be very expensive, regardless of color. Everyone’s preference is valid, but many of my bangles would not be considered watery or translucent to other collectors, where as I do consider them to be watery and translucent. It works for me, as I don’t plan on spending a lot of money on my bangles.

B754FBB4-6BCE-4D7E-A96A-9F38A587DA2C.jpeg
This bangle above I named Legolas. I got it for about 100 dollars, from allaboutjadecanada. To me this is watery, and in the sun it is actually translucent. But for others, I know they would not consider this bangle watery, or translucent. But for me it is enough, and at good price point. This bangle has the best texture of all my collection.

You will find MANY bangles like this. They are not uncommon. And they’re actually at very good prices. My problem is I can’t find many at my size.

So, the amount of money you will spend on a watery, translucent, grade A bangle, and how many you will find, will depend on what you find acceptably watery. You could spend as little as $100, or as much as $10,000. You also have to factor hairlines, root cracks, actual cracks, and scratches. For example. I’m ok with hairlines that cannot be felt with the fingernail. Legolas has that. But I know others do not like hairlines, or that the addition of hairlines does not make it truly watery. I’m ok with them as they bring the price down, and I don’t even notice them. It all depends on what you are willing to accept, and what you define as watery.

Last edited:
Oh my goodness, how pretty! I love the stormy grey bangle and the fabulous icy finish. Just wow! Matcha is also pretty and dainty. I love her with the marled texture sweater. I'm glad your experiences have been positive and no issues with lines. I am jealous of your small wrists; I see so many pretty bangles in small sizes - You have so many options.
Thank you! It’s one of my fav bangles. I have to admit though, I’ve had the opposite experience with bangle sizes. Where do you find smaller ones? The only sellers that I see that have some smaller bangles are ultimate jadeite and allaboutjadeitecanada. I need 52 or smaller, and 52 is not as comfortable as my 49 mm bangle. I guess maybe there’s not that many as the extremes. I’ve seen a lot of 55 mm, but not many 60mm, or 50mm or less.

Reactions: crabapples
I would have to have many many wrist to do that lol. I also collect nephrite and Jadeite cabs and pendants. I do not sell them, so my children will have deal with all that as they wish :smile:
Oh it’s so wonderful that you will leave them to your children! I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to come off as rude. I don’t have children so my thinking is a bit different.

Reactions: Cyanide Rose
Thank you! It’s one of my fav bangles. I have to admit though, I’ve had the opposite experience with bangle sizes. Where do you find smaller ones? The only sellers that I see that have some smaller bangles are ultimate jadeite and allaboutjadeitecanada. I need 52 or smaller, and 52 is not as comfortable as my 49 mm bangle. I guess maybe there’s not that many as the extremes. I’ve seen a lot of 55 mm, but not many 60mm, or 50mm or less.
Kathy Jade has smaller bangles. Their selection isn’t as good as UJ though. Eastwind Jade also has some too.

I’d say it depends. I don’t live where I can find Jadeite in stores. I have to get my bangles online. It depends on what you consider watery. For example, a very dark color bangle can be watery, even if it’s not very transparent. Most of mine are like this. I will always choose watery look and texture over color. However, I know some people that will only collect light colored watery bangles, because that is watery to them. Additionally, they will prefer translucency, which will also factor into the cost. A watery translucent bangle, will be very expensive, regardless of color. Everyone’s preference is valid, but many of my bangles would not be considered watery or translucent to other collectors, where as I do consider them to be watery and translucent. It works for me, as I don’t plan on spending a lot of money on my bangles.

View attachment 5660403
This bangle above I named Legolas. I got it for about 100 dollars, from allaboutjadecanada. To me this is watery, and in the sun it is actually translucent. But for others, I know they would not consider this bangle watery, or translucent. But for me it is enough, and at good price point. This bangle has the best texture of all my collection.

You will find MANY bangles like this. They are not uncommon. And they’re actually at very good prices. My problem is I can’t find many at my size.

So, the amount of money you will spend on a watery, translucent, grade A bangle, and how many you will find, will depend on what you find acceptably watery. You could spend as little as $100, or as much as $10,000. You also have to factor hairlines, root cracks, actual cracks, and scratches. For example. I’m ok with hairlines that cannot be felt with the fingernail. Legolas has that. But I know others do not like hairlines, or that the addition of hairlines does not make it truly watery. I’m ok with them as they bring the price down, and I don’t even notice them. It all depends on what you are willing to accept, and what you define as watery.
Legolas is beautiful! I love the faint colour and yes, it certainly looks watery. I don’t buy what may be more desirable in the industry. I just get what I would really like, whether it be an unusual colour, or the energy it gives to me, etc.
From what I’ve read, in general, the more translucent the more pale the colour will be. Of course, there are dark coloured translucent bangles but those cost a house down payment or more!

I must say, thank you! Although I have to admit, the light in that Target was serving that day The 49 mm bangle is actually an oval. And the two sides are different colors. Here is the other side View attachment 5660397

Now, the bangle doesn’t always look like this. Most of the times, in the sun, it looks much greener. For example, like this.

View attachment 5660398

I still don’t have a name for this bangle, which is sad considering how often I wear it. If anyone has any ideas, I’m all ears.
Gorgeous bangle, Alex! What kind of names do you have for your other bangles? Do you want to name it based on colour?
From the target picture, I would pick the name Princess. The dark watery green is absolute royalty! But it may not look like this most of the time. The second photo reminds me of a lake, so watery with the blue-green. I might choose the name Bliss. The name means “perfect joy” and it surely must bring you that if you’re wearing it very often!