The JADE thread!

Reactions: SmokieDragon
Question for Jadies: Noticed many of you have soooo many bangles and other jade pieces, sometimes in similar colours/patterns. Do you tend to collect what you like even if they may be similar to what you already have and do you feel “guilty” about not wearing them enough? :P I’m just starting to collect and already felt a little silly getting 2 white/icy bangles one Princess and one D. I am tempted to get a black one with peppermint green even though I know I will prob end up getting a full black one along the way! Arrrggh this jade obsession!

Question for Jadies: Noticed many of you have soooo many bangles and other jade pieces, sometimes in similar colours/patterns. Do you tend to collect what you like even if they may be similar to what you already have and do you feel “guilty” about not wearing them enough? :P I’m just starting to collect and already felt a little silly getting 2 white/icy bangles one Princess and one D. I am tempted to get a black one with peppermint green even though I know I will prob end up getting a full black one along the way! Arrrggh this jade obsession!
I personally haven't felt guilty about it since I collect jade indiscriminately (including the heat treated red, yellow jades sometimes).
I myself have some bangles as well that I either collect to wear, or just look at cause of how vibrant they are. I do understand why it would feel weird to have multiple pieces of the same variant though, but a good excuse could be that you want to create a set of a specific jade accessories with similar visuals/variants, I've seen this happen frequently even from other users in a certain site that is dedicated on jewelry. :lol:

Reactions: VintageyGirl
I personally haven't felt guilty about it since I collect jade indiscriminately (including the heat treated red, yellow jades sometimes).
I myself have some bangles as well that I either collect to wear, or just look at cause of how vibrant they are. I do understand why it would feel weird to have multiple pieces of the same variant though, but a good excuse could be that you want to create a set of a specific jade accessories with similar visuals/variants, I've seen this happen frequently even from other users in a certain site that is dedicated on jewelry. :lol:
Good points! I used to collect handbags but realised I can’t possibly carry so many bags and have sold many of them since. At a loss! I hope I don’t go that path with jade! Haha. Is heated jade still considered A Grade and does it affect the integrity or value of the jade?

Reactions: AJadecent Angle
Good points! I used to collect handbags but realised I can’t possibly carry so many bags and have sold many of them since. At a loss! I hope I don’t go that path with jade! Haha. Is heated jade still considered A Grade and does it affect the integrity or value of the jade?
I believe there was a post in reputable jade sellers thread where someone tested a piece of probably heat treated jade bought from someone in China that was certified as Grade A to an Indonesian lab (GRI Lab) and it was tested as Grade C likely either cause of it being heat treated or dye was present. Value of heat treated jade is of course lower than unheated, integrity isn't affected but translucency is affected since the chemical that causes jade to turn yellowish brown is subjected under intense heat to where it turns red/maroon red due to it being dehydrated and chemical reacting to such heat.
I personally feel that if a piece of jade isn't physically altered, but chemically altered, it should be ok to be passed as Grade A so long that the buyer knows and is told that it's been subjected to heat treatment.

I like to buy jades that are not alike. If I have one color already that is usually good for me. Since I have been loving jade for a while, I have bought one of each color. Here is an old picture I have of some of my bangles. I must admit Vintagey jade collecting is addictive. I have decided to stop buying....(if I can) LOL. P.S. Please excuse this picture as it was taken in very bad lighting on a dark night so the colors are not as accurate as they should be.

fullsizeoutput_177f.jpeg

I like to buy jades that are not alike. If I have one color already that is usually good for me. Since I have been loving jade for a while, I have bought one of each color. Here is an old picture I have of some of my bangles. I must admit Vintagey jade collecting is addictive. I have decided to stop buying....(if I can) LOL. P.S. Please excuse this picture as it was taken in very bad lighting on a dark night so the colors are not as accurate as they should be.

View attachment 5000403
Your collection is TDF, Silver Mom, and very well curated and all unique! I especially love the red and yellow ones. Those are on my wish list. But really hard to find good quality ones which are usually very high priced! I find that I like to look at colours more but black and icy white bangles go with more things.

Currently angsting over:
1. Character rectangle bangle from Yokdee with the most interesting colours and patterns like a painting
2. Muted purple n pale yellow from Yokdee. A very unusual purple with good lustre and grain and good price for the quality. Wondering if I should hold out for a more vibrant purple
3. Black one with peppermint green or all black tho I’m more drawn to the peppermint green
4. White one with red flecks which is just so pretty
5. Butterscotch Siberian from Allan (haven’t asked for quote yet)
Help! :yucky: Haha! And I’m a one bangle at a time person!

Your collection is TDF, Silver Mom, and very well curated and all unique! I especially love the red and yellow ones. Those are on my wish list. But really hard to find good quality ones which are usually very high priced! I find that I like to look at colours more but black and icy white bangles go with more things.

Currently angsting over:
1. Character rectangle bangle from Yokdee with the most interesting colours and patterns like a painting
2. Muted purple n pale yellow from Yokdee. A very unusual purple with good lustre and grain and good price for the quality. Wondering if I should hold out for a more vibrant purple
3. Black one with peppermint green or all black tho I’m more drawn to the peppermint green
All your choices sound amazing. The problem is the decision. Think about which one you really want and can't live without. If I see something that I immediately am drawn to and go home and can't stop thinking about it, then I definitely have to have it. Most of my pieces are from my hometown jeweler who I have been dealing with forever. The good thing is she is right here so I can see it in person and then bother her everyday until we can have a meeting of the mind and agree on the price. She is the most wonderful, patient person I know and has since become a good friend. I know how lucky I am to live just a few miles away from my supplier. Take your time until you see something you really love.

All your choices sound amazing. The problem is the decision. Think about which one you really want and can't live without. If I see something that I immediately am drawn to and go home and can't stop thinking about it, then I definitely have to have it. Most of my pieces are from my hometown jeweler who I have been dealing with forever. The good thing is she is right here so I can see it in person and then bother her everyday until we can have a meeting of the mind and agree on the price. She is the most wonderful, patient person I know and has since become a good friend. I know how lucky I am to live just a few miles away from my supplier. Take your time until you see something you really love.
Is it the famous Alice? :smile: yes you are lucky to have gotten such a fab collection from her and someone you can trust too! It looks like you like solid colour bangles rather than those with diff colour patterns. Do you find these easier to match with things? I’m lucky that I can physically see and try on the bangles so that helps too. I totally also try to use this method: see if the piece connects with me and if I keep thinking of it tho sometimes I keep thinking of all of them :P

Reactions: SmokieDragon
Is it the famous Alice? :smile: yes you are lucky to have gotten such a fab collection from her and someone you can trust too! It looks like you like solid colour bangles rather than those with diff colour patterns. Do you find these easier to match with things? I’m lucky that I can physically see and try on the bangles so that helps too. I totally also try to use this method: see if the piece connects with me and if I keep thinking of it tho sometimes I keep thinking of all of them :P
Yes my jeweler is Alice. There is another Alice called MatsAlice but she is not that one. I really love my jeweler who always looks for good pieces and lets me know when there is one I should look at. Oh wells....maybe that is not such a good thing. LOL I am weak and usually end up buying. I am trying to learn how to be stronger. I like to get pieces that are solid colour because Alice once told me that it is harder to find bangles that are all one evenly coloured. I also just like the look of one color because I think it somehow looks more classic. Although multi coloured ones are certainly pretty too but for some reason I just like mine to be evenly coloured. LOL I get what you mean about thinking about them all.

Last edited:
Really love it!

Thanks so much! :biggrin:

Such a beautiful Lilac princess and the other bracelets are pretty too! Nice stack! Is the lilac paler in sun or daylight? I’m considering whether to wait for this kind of lavender or get a less conventional more muted eggplant coloured one I tried on the other day

Thanks so much! I use the other bracelets to prevent my bangle from sliding down and hitting against my wrist-bone - I started doing this when my sister told me that she had stopped wearing bangles because of RSI. Since I am also quite clumsy, the other bracelets prevent the bangle from sliding down and hitting other objects too like my desk, glass display cabinets etc :biggrin:

I need to take a picture in daylight. Hope to get a picture outdoors soon :biggrin: Not the first time I'm wearing this bangle but I'm usually rushing around that I don't make time to take outdoor shots.

View attachment 5000403

Oh, wow!! What a collection of wonderful solid colours! My 2 faves in your collection are the bright green one in the bottom right corner and the lavender in the top right corner. It's great that you can view your pieces in person :biggrin:

Currently angsting over:

Ok, I am guilty of collecting lavender pieces whether solid or a mix of colours. To me, we can get a different cut such a princess round, oval, D shape and also different widths. So they make look similar but they are very different haha :biggrin: I don't feel guilty about not wearing them often.

Wow, you have KIV-ed so many bangles at once. I can normally only think of only a bangle at a time, maximum 2 bangles at a time and maybe I also haven't had the opportunity to be interested in so many bangles at once. If it's just 2 that I'm interested in at that point in time, normally I will get both :biggrin: I wouldn't know what to do if I were thinking of so many!