The Inner Kitten

Echoes

O.G.
Aug 8, 2008
Bear's about 5 or 6, don't really know for sure. Most of the time she does normal cat stuff, eat, sleep, look out window, sleep, eat, sleep, you know the drill. But every so often she turns her inner kitten on and goes nuts, runs, jumps, plays, follows me around, attacks my feet, wrestles, tussles and all the things you'd expect out of a 6 moth old kitten.

Not complaining, just thought is was a bit weird.

Mine does the same thing. I don't think it is weird--I think they just build up so much energy that they just need to let it out. My four year old cat does the same thing--mostly after she eats breakfast.

My kitty Piper is 5.5 years old and Dante is probably about 10-12. We aren't sure because he was a stray. I have had them both for a little over 4 years now. Both of them still play like kittens. I know that cats are lazy, but these two are constantly chasing each other all over the place and will even take turns playing with the same toys. I've had cats all my life and have never seen any as playful as these two.
OP -- I think you're lucky. Watching my kitties just zoom around the house like they are on catnip is just hysterical.

My three year old does the same - turns from feline couch potatoe to turbo-charged fiend in just seconds....

Awww...clevercat...everytime I see the kitty in your avatar he reminds me a bit of my boy Baxter (who's in on my bed sleeping..and probably drooling...right now). Bax gives me those same expressions!! Here's a close up of my boy.

Attachments

• Bax2.jpg
    Bax2.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 46
Awww...clevercat...everytime I see the kitty in your avatar he reminds me a bit of my boy Baxter (who's in on my bed sleeping..and probably drooling...right now). Bax gives me those same expressions!! Here's a close up of my boy.

Yes, he does that a lot. I call it his, 'are you eating something behind my back?' expression..... your Baxter is such a cutie!

Last week we had to put one of our family cats down. She was developing thyroid and kidney issues and many of the side effects that go along with those issues, that her late sister (we put her down at age 16.5) had gotten, so we knew it was her time.

She was 17 and she STILL ran around crazy like a kitten!!! :P She wouldn't do it for long periods of time, but she would go nuts usually at least once a day or every few days. She did this pretty regularly right up to about the last 3 weeks before we put her down.

But the week before we put her down, she was playing with a laser pointer and running around. :nuts:

I have 3 cats, ages 4, 3, and 9mo and they all freak out on a daily basis.

So your kitty's crazy kitten may never grow up!! :biggrin:

Last week we had to put one of our family cats down. She was developing thyroid and kidney issues and many of the side effects that go along with those issues, that her late sister (we put her down at age 16.5) had gotten, so we knew it was her time.

She was 17 and she STILL ran around crazy like a kitten!!! :P She wouldn't do it for long periods of time, but she would go nuts usually at least once a day or every few days. She did this pretty regularly right up to about the last 3 weeks before we put her down.

But the week before we put her down, she was playing with a laser pointer and running around. :nuts:

I have 3 cats, ages 4, 3, and 9mo and they all freak out on a daily basis.

So your kitty's crazy kitten may never grow up!! :biggrin:

I am so sorry to hear about your kitty. I have had similiar losses recently: I lost one at 17, and two at 15 (one just two weeks ago). But I think we can both be comforted that they were active and playful during those "golden" years.....it shows that they lived life to the fullest. It comforts me that they didn't have very many days where they weren't doing well or suffering.

And I agree..some kitties never grow up! :biggrin:

I was looking for a better pic of Bax..one that showed him using that expression!! I'll try to find one tonight.

Your little guy is so cute...what's his name???

Thank you - his name is Murphy.
I adopted him from Battersea Cats and Dogs Home in May. He is a very 'pointy' cat, one who would rather bite and scratch than purr and cuddle, but I think he was so badly neglected before I came along, it's just his way of coping with the world.
I still :love::heart::love: him, though...

My Heidi does that sometimes too -- normally she's this grumpy little grouch (she even looks grouchy!), but occasionally she'll go wild and attack the covers or start running around with a toy mouse in her mouth -- but as soon as she sees me watching, she stops what she's doing and acts all cool, or starts cleaning herself, like that is what she was doing all along. I think cats of all ages can be pretty playful :smile:

Thank you - his name is Murphy.
I adopted him from Battersea Cats and Dogs Home in May. He is a very 'pointy' cat, one who would rather bite and scratch than purr and cuddle, but I think he was so badly neglected before I came along, it's just his way of coping with the world.
I still :love::heart::love: him, though...

Bless you for taking him in and giving him the safe and loving home he deserves. I love his name!!

I am sure that with time his behavior will transition more and more from bite/scratch to purr/cuddle, as he learns to trust again.

I adopted a pair of sibling kitties about 10 months ago. When I first brought them home, they clung to each other in fear and had no idea how to interact with humans. Now, at 16 months old, they rule my house and have all of us wrapped around their cute little paws!! And now they sleep up against me, and come looking for me if I've been out of the room too long.....:love:

Bless you for taking him in and giving him the safe and loving home he deserves. I love his name!!

I am sure that with time his behavior will transition more and more from bite/scratch to purr/cuddle, as he learns to trust again.

I adopted a pair of sibling kitties about 10 months ago. When I first brought them home, they clung to each other in fear and had no idea how to interact with humans. Now, at 16 months old, they rule my house and have all of us wrapped around their cute little paws!! And now they sleep up against me, and come looking for me if I've been out of the room too long.....:love:
I hope so, he has quite an attitude on him!
Your kittens sound adorable - have you posted photos anywhere here?