The ideal Mulberry core collection

Linnea

O.G.
May 3, 2008
I am desperately trying to downsize... I have totally failed and bought three new bags instead :sweatdrop:. I am hopeless! My new approach is to think "core", but I could really use some help. What bags would you have in your core collection and why are these bags included?

And another question, which Mulberry do you think is the best as an everyday bag?

I am trying to get inspired by you guys! I often work like an old car, first I don't start at all, then I cough a couple of times (like I now bought all these new bags :nuts:!) and then when the engine is finally running, nothing can stop me. I am hoping to do a "Maplecottage" (=brutal downsizing :smile:!). I was really impressed by that!

mmm well i think every one needs a bigish bag like a bayswater which can be dressed up or down

2nd, 2 messenger bags a small one and a med/large one .

then something of going out to special places when u get booted and suited or dolled up to the 9's.

ok can tell every one else just cant stick to the rules myself:nuts:

also something fun anf funky with a bit of bling and colour and also a weather proof bag;)

I have worked out a core similar to yours:

a clutch/smaller shoulder bag
a messenger
a tote
an everyday bag (med size)
a work/travel bag (size Bays)
a weather proof bag
a couple of bags in different colours for variation...

This is already quite a few... :amuse:

Ok Linnea- this is what i think your core collection should be:graucho:

Oak Roxanne -classic/casual
Choc Antony - classic useful small messenger
Black Maggie clutch - to wear with that little black dress
Black bayswater- larger classic bag- dress up or down.
Champagne E/W bays -another going out bag
Navy Roxanne tote- when you need to lug a lot or it's raining

What do you think?:P

Linnea, looking at your collection I think you already have the core collection as listed in your post and might only need to get rid of a few bags - if you can bear parting with them.
Clutch - Maggie
Messenger - choc Ant
Tote - Elgin or choc Roxy A4
Everyday bag - Black or choc Mabel
Work/Travel bag - Black Bays
Weather proof - navy vinyl
Colour bags - fuchsia and champagne Bays

That said, I wouldn't part with the Hanover or the Annie either if I were you....:love:
Sorry, might not be much of help...

LOL!

Flyvetjo and mssw157, those are very good core collections :tup:. I really want to get the number down to 9 or 10. The reason why I am probably so unsure what to do, is that I am kind of torn between the bags I use and the classics.

I have oak Roxy and oak Hanover: I use Hanover, but find it really hard to part with Roxy.
I have black Annie and black Bayswater: I used Annie, but find it really hard to part with Bays.

Do you think I should hide away the bags that I have been using, and give these classics a try?! I honestly don't know why I haven't used oak Roxy and black bays, because these are certainly bags that I cannot see myself selling :confused1:.

And another thing, even though the navy A4 is very practical and gorgeous, I cannot get it to go well with my wardrobe :sad:. I will be great with my summer wardrobe, but no good with autumn/winter coats etc...

I have (in size order) a mauve Roxanne, a vanilla Bayswater, a choc/oak Tyler and two prairies one in cocoa and one multicolour. They are included because I love them all very much and can't imagine being without them!
Hmmmm....thinning out your collection may be rather difficult if you love them all the same.

I am a SAHM so mostly wear jeans alot - Roxanne works best for everyday at the moment, or Tyler if I don't need to carry much stuff. However when/if I return to the world of work I would probably use my Bayswater for an everyday work bag as it is more professional looking.

Looking at your list I'd say keep hold of your Oak Roxanne, Black Bayswater, Choc Anthony and Maggie clutch.

I'm trying to do the same. I have the bags in my signature which I intend to be my core bags and others (red roxy, cherry zinnia, green somerset tote, patchwork cadogen) that I am undecided about. I have packed up the bags I am unsure about to see if the remaining ones in my signature fulful all my needs. So far they are doing just that. Perhaps I should do that for a month and then swop back to see if the ones currently packed away fulfil the needs too.

^^^ Jemart, you certainly have gorgeous bags and I totally understand why you love them. I actually do love my bags equally! I really cannot pick a favourite. I am a stay at home mom at the moment, so my needs may change when I go back to work. That is something I also try to keep in mind. The formal and larger bags that I don't use much now (large Mabel, black Bays and Elgin) may become really useful when I go back to work. Makes it a bit more complicated!

Bluecat, I noticed yesterday that you had downsized your Mulberry collection. I think you have picked great bags to your core collection! Your system is actually really good and I think I will try that :tup:. I will create a new core collection in my signature and hide the rest of the bags. The ones I don't miss, shall leave my wardrobe :smile:. I am off to update my signature!

Ok Linnea- this is what i think your core collection should be:graucho:

Oak Roxanne -classic/casual
Choc Antony - classic useful small messenger
Black Maggie clutch - to wear with that little black dress
Black bayswater- larger classic bag- dress up or down.
Champagne E/W bays -another going out bag
Navy Roxanne tote- when you need to lug a lot or it's raining

What do you think?:P

This looks good to me, you have every occasion covered there and a good selection of colours.