The Human Cost of Fakes: Harper's Bazaar article

Bazaar has articles on fakes every January. I've been subscribing for a few years now and I've noticed this. Very interesting. Have to say I've learned quite a bit since reading those.

Wow, that's good to know! I've subscribed to Bazaar for 15+ years and I had probably just skimmed through this topic in years past [and, thankfully, never have purchased a fake]. Now since joining tPF I've become more aware of articles such as these.

the problem is, this is considered a normal job i think for people in china. school costs money, and many families cannot afford to send their kids to school. most children at a certain age decide to find work because they can't go to school so they help out their families by working. while i don't support fakes, and never will i feel sorry that they have to work in these horrible conditions but they really do not have much choice. see there will always be people who will buy fakes there will always be a market and counterfeits will always be made. sad but that's the reality.
for the sake of my masters in business administration and my last international finance class. I agree.

the problem is, this is considered a normal job i think for people in china. school costs money, and many families cannot afford to send their kids to school. most children at a certain age decide to find work because they can't go to school so they help out their families by working. while i don't support fakes, and never will i feel sorry that they have to work in these horrible conditions but they really do not have much choice. see there will always be people who will buy fakes there will always be a market and counterfeits will always be made. sad but that's the reality.

I actually just had an argument with a friend over counterfeit bags. Her come back to the child labor issue was, "well, at least they have jobs, right?" I really didn't know how to respond to that.

Thanks for posting that. I knew this occurred (one of the reasons I am totally against fakes) but I never had an actual reference to show to people. I am forwarding it to my friends; if people still want to buy fakes, well, then at least they are making a more informed decision.

It's just awful. With all these fakes that people are carrying these days, this terrible industry needs more exposure like this. I see many fakes each day. Just yesterday, I saw a woman carrying a fake DB tassel tote with fake LV mono canvas on it.:wtf: I mean seriously, come on.