The hidden dangers of hair extensions revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sassys

Please get some Common Sense
O.G.
May 14, 2006
From blinding headaches, to bleeding scalps and permanent baldness: The hidden dangers of hair extensions revealed

Hair extensions can add fullness and length to otherwise sad-looking locks, but the health hazards that accompany the popular Hollywood beauty treatment can far out-way the rewards.

From blinding headaches, to patchy hair loss and sometimes permanent damage, doctors are now warning about the dangers of hair extensions, the must-have accessory of celebrities on the red carpet, and young women alike.

Neurologist, Dr. Orly Avitzur of Terrytown, N.Y., who is also the medical adviser for Consumer Reports, told ABC News: 'I think the risk of baldness, if you start to get hair loss, that's really my bottom line, then stop immediately.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...-scalps-permanent-baldness.html#ixzz2K8eM7S5z

Hair extensions do not interest me whatsoever...

Truly think hairdressers hype it up & don't warn of any & all issues
that can result from having extensions

How much do you think they get paid to do them? They have to be very expensive! I too have no interest in them. My friend had them and they fell out within a month and the excuse they gave her was that her hair was too fine for extensions. Wouldn't that be something they would tell you upfront?

I have micro-ring hair extensions & have not had any problems.

I'm interested to hear what others have to say here about long term use. I plan to keep mine for a few more years then take them out.

It seems to me that the article is more related to sewn-in hair extensions than extensions done by adding multiple single-strand extensions (like Great Lengths). I have had Great Lengths extensions for about two years now for thickness. My hair does seem thin when the extensions are removed, but I think that it is due to the fact that I am now used to having the extensions in. My hairstylist actually took before and after photos when I had them put in this week, and when she showed me the before photo, I actually thought it was the after photo at first. Clearly no bald patches or areas where there was hair missing or thinning.

So I certainly haven't noticed any hair loss due to the extensions... In fact, I think it has actually made my hair a bit stronger. In particular, it seems to help when the extensions are placed around a section of hair that I am trying to grow out, since that section then is not as exposed to any styling, etc., that could cause it damage. The extensions really helped me to grow out a section of my hair that had been too short for years (and stayed short due to the fact that I kept straightening it since it got frizzy, which led to more breakage).

And I have never, ever gotten a headache from having extensions in. Yeah, my scalp can be slightly tender the day I get the extensions put it, but I've never had problems sleeping on it the day of or anything, like I've heard some others complain about. But again, maybe the headaches are caused more by the sewn-in extensions, rather than the single-strand application.

I also would be interested to find out whether anyone who has worn extensions for a long period of time has suffered any of the side effects mentioned in the article.

It seems to me that the article is more related to sewn-in hair extensions than extensions done by adding multiple single-strand extensions (like Great Lengths). I have had Great Lengths extensions for about two years now for thickness. My hair does seem thin when the extensions are removed, but I think that it is due to the fact that I am now used to having the extensions in. My hairstylist actually took before and after photos when I had them put in this week, and when she showed me the before photo, I actually thought it was the after photo at first. Clearly no bald patches or areas where there was hair missing or thinning.

So I certainly haven't noticed any hair loss due to the extensions... In fact, I think it has actually made my hair a bit stronger. In particular, it seems to help when the extensions are placed around a section of hair that I am trying to grow out, since that section then is not as exposed to any styling, etc., that could cause it damage. The extensions really helped me to grow out a section of my hair that had been too short for years (and stayed short due to the fact that I kept straightening it since it got frizzy, which led to more breakage).

And I have never, ever gotten a headache from having extensions in. Yeah, my scalp can be slightly tender the day I get the extensions put it, but I've never had problems sleeping on it the day of or anything, like I've heard some others complain about. But again, maybe the headaches are caused more by the sewn-in extensions, rather than the single-strand application.

I also would be interested to find out whether anyone who has worn extensions for a long period of time has suffered any of the side effects mentioned in the article.

I'm curious, how long does it take to put them in?

I'm curious, how long does it take to put them in?

I have had great lengths in my hair for two years constantly. It depends on how much experience the stylist has. When my guy first started doing my hair it took him about four hours, but after the third time he was down to a little over two. I did a full head (three packs) of 24 inch great lengths every time. They are amazing and not as bad as a weave, which as another poster pointed out, is probably what this article is referring to. I have had a weave done and that creates insane hair loss because it is sewn in so tight and pulls on your hair, I am Caucasian so it is even worse. It can get tangled if the stylist doesn't double sew it in either because the strip of hair is so heavy.

I noticed some thinning hair with great lengths particularly by my ears, but it really is minor. Now that I haven't used extensions since September 2010 my natural hair is much more healthy, full and more beautiful than it could ever be with extensions, and this is coming from someone who thought she could never ever live without them!

I also wanted to mention it is all about proper maintenance. You will experience hair loss if you condition at and above the bond with great lengths. This is because you hair will tangle at the root, which causes it to either break off the entire strand of hair or when you are having them removed it will be so freaking tangled it will take forever and be difficult for the stylist to untangle which will result in a ton of hair loss. I learned that the hard way the first time lol.

I'd like to day that the problem isn't so much the extensions and weaves, it's the lack of care while you have them in. You can't leave them in for months and months, can't be too rough brushing them and you have to properly clean your scalp!

I've had a sewn in extensions for about three years with no issues whatsoever. My hair has gotten longer, stronger and thicker when before it was very thin and lifeless. I agree you have to take really good care of your hair when it is in and it helps go to a stylist that specializes in extensions. You get what you pay for. I get new extensions every three months and get my hair professionally washed and styled every two weeks. I'm always singing the ballad of the weave (lol) to my friends with hair problems and it truly comes down to: Knowledge + Care + Install (Stylist). Or else you will have trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.